Reload this Page >

Moving to USA, artist-wise

Moving to USA, artist-wise

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:49 am
Just Joined

teck is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Moving to USA, artist-wise

Hello all,
I am 27 years old photographer and my girlfriend is 25 years old painter.
We would like to move to San Francisco.

Can anyone tell me what options do we have?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:03 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA, artist-wise

Originally Posted by teck
Short version: you currently have no options; there is no visa for you.

Long version: Once one of you reaches the top of the food chain in your respective fields, you might be eligible for an O-1 visa. You'll probably need to be married if both of you want to go, because it's unlikely you'll both get a visa on your own.

Start here, then here. Read it all, including the links... then come back and ask questions that are, with all due respect, more realistic.

If you get a visa, you can move wherever you want. The trick is getting the visa... everything else is easy by comparison.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The links above will walk you through the various options. You haven't told us much about your qualifications or experiences or other possible ties to the US (brothers / sisters in the US??) but generally speaking it's probably not likely. The rules are very complex and designed to basically keep people OUT rather than make it easy for people to come in.

The links listed will let you run through the various options. If you see one that looks promising, feel free to let us know and we can give you a better estimate on your chances and the process you'll need to undertake.

Good luck.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
I am 27 years old photographer and my girlfriend is 25 years old painter.

In the artistic world, it seems like people go for an O-1 visa. But you have to have exceptional skills and be able to document your high-profile work.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:07 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you have the option to go there on holiday
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're both US citizens, or world famous, your chances are realistically going to be slim to none, especially moving together, unless you're married.

Could always dump each other and go match.com I guess.