Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina - A place to live?

North Carolina - A place to live?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco - a great place to live?

Originally Posted by Anthony919
SF - this is what happens if you live there...

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4350711.ece
So are you ever going to take a stab at a meaningful discussion here? I've given up trying to get you to explain your assertion of 'economic destruction' (or is that link above supposed to be some form of 'evidence'? ), but would love to hear your 'analysis' of the cultural situation in San Francisco, where we have 40% white, 33% asian, 17% hispanic, etc - a situation that has prevailed for a long time and shows no sign of being a problem. I think you 'want' it to be a problem so that it fits your view of cultural separation, but it is a thriving city in a thriving state that you have clearly never spent much time in.

You can sit there in the backwaters of North Carolina and spew forth opinions about California and about cultural issues (opinions gleaned from the radio and Fox News), but take it from one who has lived here 25 years and traveled extensively, and who has a partner from an entirely different culture - it's not the big problem that you would like it to be.

I think it's time for you to look inwards for a while - ask yourself why you were never happy in the UK; why you are not able to find a job with a reasonable salary in your own, very conservative state; why everyone here seems to oppose your view ... I think you just may conclude that you have a somewhat warped view of the world, and life may get better for you if you started to back off a little and accept a dose of reality.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think it's time for you to look inwards for a while - ask yourself why you were never happy in the UK; why you are not able to find a job with a reasonable salary in your own, very conservative state; why everyone here seems to oppose your view ... I think you just may conclude that you have a somewhat warped view of the world, and life may get better for you if you started to back off a little and accept a dose of reality.
and take some Spanish lessons.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:36 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

ask yourself why you were never happy in the UK.
I could be wrong, but I think he's not actually from the UK originally.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I could be wrong, but I think he's not actually from the UK originally.
No, he was not. He said he emigrated (immigrated?) into the UK from some other non-english speaking place but was never happy there and eventually took the opportunity to come here. So ... he started out 'somewhere' (which I don't think he's mentioned), spent a good deal of time in UK, and is now here.

I'm beginning to think that first place must have been South Africa or something!

Me, I had the best 5 years of my life in London before I came here, and like it even more here.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:13 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

No, he was not. He said he emigrated (immigrated?) into the UK from some other non-english speaking place but was never happy there and eventually took the opportunity to come here. So ... he started out 'somewhere' (which I don't think he's mentioned), spent a good deal of time in UK, and is now here.

I'm beginning to think that first place must have been South Africa or something!
I could be 100% wrong but I had him pegged as emanating from the Indian subcontinent. Reminds me a helleva lot of a guy I had the misfortune of working with one time - he spouted a lot of the same shit in reference to the UK at the time. The irony of him being an immigrant to the UK and his hatred of all things 'anti-english' ( in particular other immigrants and their cultures) was lost on him. He was a particularly nasty piece of work as well

So Anthony - you going to end the speculation?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: North Carolina - a great place to live?

Originally Posted by Songbird
I could be 100% wrong but I had him pegged as emanating from the Indian subcontinent. Reminds me a helleva lot of a guy I had the misfortune of working with one time - he spouted a lot of the same shit in reference to the UK at the time. The irony of him being an immigrant to the UK and his hatred of all things 'anti-english' ( in particular other immigrants and their cultures) was lost on him. He was a particularly nasty piece of work as well

In researching this topic, I stumbled across this chart. The interesting fact I gleaned from this is that North Carolina experienced the largest "Percentage change in Foreign Born Population 1990 to 2000" at 273%. So while NC is still relatively homogeneous by absolute standards, it has experienced a tremendous amount of immigration by relative standards. Now, Our Man Anthony is living in NC, and in one of his posts he said that his USC wife "no longer recognizes the country she grew up in" (or words to that effect). He's also made reference to the immigration situation in England, where large numbers of muslims have arrived over the past 50 years or so.

So my current theory is - Anthony didn't like what he saw in England, came here, and now gets an earful from his USC wife about the same topic ... 'our culture is being diluted by all these foreigners...'. He then latches onto Fox News, which feeds this kind of sentiment, and he starts parroting their rhetoric. Being in NC, which has a strong 'white/protestant' history, and being a bit clueless on the broader history of the country, he doesn't realize that most states 'out west' have a very different history and never had that kind of 'cultural purity' he seems to cherish, but rather than accept that as part-and-parcel of being in the US, he'd rather put down the western states as being liberal, 'degenerate', etc.

As to his origin ... he claims he had to learn English, which would almost rule out Indian sub-continent (since everyone there learns English), but he could be stretching the truth on that one for effect (since it's true that it's not his 'first' or 'native' language). But this racist idea that a culture should not be 'diluted' - that has almost got to be something he got from his family or environment ... which is why South Africa/Rhodesia comes to mind (though again, most folks from there already speak English at least as a second language).
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina - a great place to live?

As to his origin ... he claims he had to learn English, which would almost rule out Indian sub-continent (since everyone there learns English), but he could be stretching the truth on that one for ).
who care ..he is just another rambling knoblet
they come they go...
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird

I think he's from Russia or a former Eastern Bloc country but really, I don't care. It's not his original country of origin that bothers me, just his views and attitude. Forget the KKK, I think he'd be quite happy hanging out with the Minutemen.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think he's from Russia or a former Eastern Bloc country but really, I don't care. It's not his original country of origin that bothers me, just his views and attitude. Forget the KKK, I think he'd be quite happy hanging out with the Minutemen.
You learn something every day on BE - are you talking about these Minutemen?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:41 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina - A place to live?

wherever he is from - he is a racist, bigoted, homophobic, reactionary, ignorant, obnoxious t**t - who CLEARLY has some serious issues. I hope to God he doesn't breed!