British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   North Carolina - A place to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/north-carolina-place-live-503887/)

ulpul Jan 6th 2008 12:36 am

North Carolina - A place to live?

Hi all

Following on from my original thread regarding US Visas, we are currently looking at North Carolina. The main reason is my US office is there in Reidsville so would be the most likely place for a transfer.

However, after a week or so of research it looks a very beautiful place to set up but after reviewing fizber.com, it doesn't seem the safest place. It also seems to have significantly depreciating property prices.

Violent Crime and Crime are well above average and property depreciated in the last 12 months.

My questions:

Where in North Carolina is somewhere safe, clean and nice to live in?
I would like a nice house, can be small but needs to have a small amount of land and above all, a nice area?
Not too far from international/domestic airport(s)
Plenty to do such as mountain biking/walking etc.
Not too much snow, don't mind a dusting but not wanting to be snowed in!

Commutable to Reidsville if possible.

Failing North Carolina, I have been looking at the New England area or Portland, Oregon area.

Any help appreciated or links.

Many thanks:thumbup:

NC Penguin Jan 6th 2008 12:49 am

Re: North Carolina - A place to live?

This is my wholly personal response to your post. I live in NC and have done so for nearly six years.

I had heard of Reidsville and looked it up on the map then realized why I'd heard of it. Reidsville is in the boonies of NC.

I don't know too much about Greensboro which is a big city (part of the Triad) reasonably close to Reidsville. That might be a place that may fit most of your criteria but please check on the internet. I don't think there are any direct international flights from Greensboro but I might be mistaken.

ulpul Jan 6th 2008 12:52 am

Thanks for the response, I assume Boonies is not a good thing?

It is manufacturing related, the company so whether that makes any difference as that industry here is typically in the outer suburbs.

I have read about the Triad, the 3 towns I think. Will check them out, thanks.

lisag8070 Jan 6th 2008 12:53 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5745047)
This is my wholly personal response to your post. I live in NC and have done so for nearly six years.

I had heard of Reidsville and looked it up on the map then realized why I'd heard of it. Reidsville is in the boonies of NC.

I don't know too much about Greensboro which is a big city (part of the Triad) reasonably close to Reidsville. That might be a place that may fit most of your criteria but please check on the internet. I don't think there are any direct international flights from Greensboro but I might be mistaken.

your right there are no direct international flights to Greensboro.

lisag8070 Jan 6th 2008 12:55 am

Originally Posted by ulpul (Post 5745069)

It is manufacturing related, the company so whether that makes any difference as that industry here is typically in the outer suburbs.

just to let you know the boonies means "way out in the country" and I live in Greensboro so if you have any questions, just give us a shout...

Rete Jan 6th 2008 1:23 am

Also you have to note that US real estate is taking a hit at the moment all over the country. It is a buyers' market these days; not a sellers. However, that changes frequently. Even before the downturn, NC and SC property prices are quite affordable. You get a lot for your money in terms of house and property.

As for crime rates, you aren't going to find any place crime free. Also crimes tend to happen in poorer neighborhoods so you must bear that in mind when looking.

Sue Jan 6th 2008 2:09 am

As Rete has already pointed out you get alot of house for your money in NC. Its one of the reasons that people are moving here in the thousands from other states.

I haven't read the crime statistics but after living in NC for just over 10 years I can tell you from my personal experience that I feel very safe here (currently living in Charlotte) and think the state in general is a nice place to bring up kids. Many of the kids you interact with here are being brought up the southern way and will call you sir or ma'am and seem very respectful. Both NC and SC are becoming popular places with people moving down from the Northern states. My personal preference of a place to live in NC is a town called Winston-Salem, (about 25 mins west of Greensboro), its a small city/large town but still manages to retain a "small town" feel. The schools are pretty good there too.

Downside? Well I don't know your feelings on religion but if you are not religious or a regular church goer it may take you a while to get used to the church culture here. NC is in the bible belt and almost everyone attends church. In all the time I've lived here I've only known two people who did not attend church. Most peoples social lives also revolve around the church. I am just mentioning it because it was a big culture shock for me when we first moved here and it took me a little time to adjust.

Overall I think NC is a lovely state, but have only visited other states and not lived in them so can't compare one state with another.

Good luck with where ever you decided to move to.

Sue

Goodacre Jan 6th 2008 2:11 am

It looks like you wouldn't be too far from either Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham, both of which have International Airports. Charlotte has regular flights to London Gatwick (I think) and Raleigh-Durham has a daily flight to London Gatwick, soon to change to Heathrow. We live over in Wake County, which is a nice part of North Carolina, low crime, good schools, affordable property. But it's a bit too far from Reidsville, from the look of it. NC is a great state to be in, though. Good luck with thinking about the move.

YankeemovingAbroad Jan 6th 2008 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ulpul (Post 5744998)
Hi all

Following on from my original thread regarding US Visas, we are currently looking at North Carolina. The main reason is my US office is there in Reidsville so would be the most likely place for a transfer.

However, after a week or so of research it looks a very beautiful place to set up but after reviewing fizber.com, it doesn't seem the safest place. It also seems to have significantly depreciating property prices.

Violent Crime and Crime are well above average and property depreciated in the last 12 months.

My questions:

Where in North Carolina is somewhere safe, clean and nice to live in?
I would like a nice house, can be small but needs to have a small amount of land and above all, a nice area?
Not too far from international/domestic airport(s)
Plenty to do such as mountain biking/walking etc.
Not too much snow, don't mind a dusting but not wanting to be snowed in!

Commutable to Reidsville if possible.

Failing North Carolina, I have been looking at the New England area or Portland, Oregon area.

Any help appreciated or links.

Many thanks:thumbup:

Hi

It really depend on how much of a commute you'd find reasonable.Greensboro is a nice city with many family activities including but not limited to golf and tennis,excellent resturants,shopping,nice receational parks,many famous music entertainers perform at the coliseum, good hopitals,very good school system including several universities.North Carolina is a out doorsy state for those who like Hiking and Biking and you can find that activity in most regions of the state.

There is a theater for the Performing Arts in High Point and I think also in Greensboro.Close enough to drive to professional sporting events in Charlotte.Nationally speaking the crime is low in the triad area which includes Greensboro,Winston Salem and High Point.In terms of crime I would stir clear of buying in Charlotte and Durham both having national higher statistics for crime.Keep in mind that higher in this case does not mean you'd have any problems in either place.My father,a cousin and my brother all have lived in Charlotte at different times with out any incidents.My cousin loves living in Charlotte.

Basicly greensboro is a college town with in a city.The commute from reidsville to greensboro is about 24 miles/27 minutes.No time at all in decent traffic.I spent the better part of my youth living near Jamestown only minutes away from High Point North Carolina.Don't be concern at all about the falling home prices, that is a hugh plus for buyers who are currently house shopping.You can more than likely save about 15-20% on a home purchase because of all the homes sitting unsold on the market.This situation will not last pass early 2009 prices will reverse and start to trend upward.

If you like a country feel but want to be near the city try Jamestown. Excellent homes in gated communities and only 8-10 minutes away from greenboro.You can REALLY get your money's worth when buying a home in most areas of north carolina.$150k-$200k buys a very comfortable home.Spend $250k-$300k and you are living in a fully brick new home with all the lastest conviences.$400k-$500k buys you the posh life style with pool +being on or near golf course.Living in Florida as I do cost me more than double for amentities that North Carolina offers. All I can add is enjoy!!

ulpul Jan 6th 2008 3:17 am

Thanks so much for the replies, some great feedback there!

The prices seem very reasonable especially compared to our apartment here in the city of Melbourne. My only concern would be earnings if the property is that affordable, I would have to suss that out through work.

Based on the feedback so far:

I don't mind religion but am not a regular church goer myself. I have my beliefs and everyone is entitled to them so happy to live amongst church goers as long as I get a good quality of life.

Living somewhere near Mountain Bike trails, lakes, walking tracks would be awesome. Somewhere with restaurants, hustle and bustle within driving distance if needed but a nice quiet peaceful town and suburb would tick all the boxes.

We will be in the US in the first 3 weeks of June this year and are making NC a stop on our tour so any places to check out are all gratefully received.

Thanks again :thumbup:

YankeemovingAbroad Jan 6th 2008 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ulpul (Post 5745531)
Thanks so much for the replies, some great feedback there!

The prices seem very reasonable especially compared to our apartment here in the city of Melbourne. My only concern would be earnings if the property is that affordable, I would have to suss that out through work.

Based on the feedback so far:

I don't mind religion but am not a regular church goer myself. I have my beliefs and everyone is entitled to them so happy to live amongst church goers as long as I get a good quality of life.

Living somewhere near Mountain Bike trails, lakes, walking tracks would be awesome. Somewhere with restaurants, hustle and bustle within driving distance if needed but a nice quiet peaceful town and suburb would tick all the boxes.

We will be in the US in the first 3 weeks of June this year and are making NC a stop on our tour so any places to check out are all gratefully received.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Best north Carolina cities with amazing mountain views and the conviences of city life imo are........

Winston Salem and Ashville

NC Penguin Jan 6th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ulpul (Post 5745069)

Boonies = nowhere

+ves: privacy, quiet, lots of land, cheaper property.

-ves: poor choice of grocery stores, etc. Also, far from medical facilities/doctors. Not a good choice of schools, Have to drive far to get to places.

I've driven around many parts of NC (particulary western and central NC) that are the boonies and though the areas have all the positive aspects, I'd like to be near good medical facilities even though I've yet to go to an American hospital as a patient.

NC Penguin Jan 6th 2008 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad (Post 5745446)
<<snip>>

There is a theater for the Performing Arts in High Point and I think also in Greensboro.Close enough to drive to professional sporting events in Charlotte.Nationally speaking the crime is low in the triad area which includes Greensboro,Winston Salem and High Point.In terms of crime I would stir clear of buying in Charlotte and Durham both having national higher statistics for crime.Keep in mind that higher in this case does not mean you'd have any problems in either place.My father,a cousin and my brother all have lived in Charlotte at different times with out any incidents.My cousin loves living in Charlotte.

I want to comment on the crime in Durham. Like any city of its size, Durham has some crime but I look at the crime mapper thingy on the Durham Police Department's website from time to time. It becomes clear that crime tends to cluster in particular neighborhoods. i.e. in eastern and central Durham.

I wouldn't be surprised if my comments were true for Charlotte too.

Another thing, I find it quite amusing that people who say Durham is dangerous or say things like "I wouldn't want to live in Durham" are quite frequently those who've never been to Durham or if they have, have only been to the shopping areas, Duke or the downtown district.

Basicly greensboro is a college town with in a city.The commute from reidsville to greensboro is about 24 miles/27 minutes.No time at all in decent traffic.I spent the better part of my youth living near Jamestown only minutes away from High Point North Carolina.Don't be concern at all about the falling home prices, that is a hugh plus for buyers who are currently house shopping.You can more than likely save about 15-20% on a home purchase because of all the homes sitting unsold on the market.This situation will not last pass early 2009 prices will reverse and start to trend upward.
<<snip>>
My only comment about High Point is that I couldn't believe how many tattoo shops I saw during my overnight (furniture buying) trip in High Point a few years back.

Ray Jan 6th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5748071)
I want to comment on the crime in Durham. Like any city of its size, Durham has some crime but I look at the crime mapper thingy on the Durham Police Department's website from time to time. It becomes clear that crime tends to cluster in particular neighborhoods. i.e. in eastern and central Durham.

How many guns do you have in your house??? .....

NC Penguin Jan 6th 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5748096)
How many guns do you have in your house??? .....

That is none of your business and you know the main purpose of the firearms in my household.:rolleyes: