Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Norfolk,VA..Virginia Beach, VA

Norfolk,VA..Virginia Beach, VA

Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:18 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norfolk,VA..Virginia Beach, VA

Originally Posted by bevinva
There is an undercurrent of racism everywhere I have been in the US.
Yeah, but the people's attitudes are different.
Of both colours.

The flavour here is a watered-down "redneck yee-ha & don't trust whitey" racism which is too typical of America's Southern states.
They are only one or two (at most) generations away from segregation after all.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:35 pm
Fancies a Brit

5ftsmall is an unknown quantity at this point

The Norfolk/VA Beach area is quite nice. Actually VA Beach proper is kind of touristy and I wouldn't necessarily want to send my kids to school in the city of Norfolk, but the Chesapeake area is super nice. I am an American and was born and raised in Richmond, VA (about an hour and 15 minutes north west of VA Beach).

You don't really have to worry so much about the whole religious zealot thing. The US (and the south especially) tend to be quite religious, but if you don't go out into the streets and shout that you're not, no one will bother you at all. If you manage to get into a religious discussion folks might want to debate with you, but that's about it.

In terms of patriotism, my boyfriend is British (came here in 2002) and his mother tells me quite frequently that it is refreshing to her to be in a place where the citizens are proud of their nation and its' ideals. She tells me that England is not like that and you are somewhat brought up to be fairly pessimistic about the nation. I have never been there myself, but you might enjoy the change of pace. We are very friendly for the most part and love to meet new people and ask them lots of questions. So prepare for that. If you ever need anything do not hesitate to ask an American. The majority of us are glad to help.

In general, the Hampton Roads/Chesapeake area is pretty average in terms of an American town/county. You could certainly pick a worse place to live!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5ftsmall
The Norfolk/VA Beach area is quite nice. Actually VA Beach proper is kind of touristy and I wouldn't necessarily want to send my kids to school in the city of Norfolk, but the Chesapeake area is super nice. I am an American and was born and raised in Richmond, VA (about an hour and 15 minutes north west of VA Beach).

You don't really have to worry so much about the whole religious zealot thing. The US (and the south especially) tend to be quite religious, but if you don't go out into the streets and shout that you're not, no one will bother you at all. If you manage to get into a religious discussion folks might want to debate with you, but that's about it.

In terms of patriotism, my boyfriend is British (came here in 2002) and his mother tells me quite frequently that it is refreshing to her to be in a place where the citizens are proud of their nation and its' ideals. She tells me that England is not like that and you are somewhat brought up to be fairly pessimistic about the nation. I have never been there myself, but you might enjoy the change of pace. We are very friendly for the most part and love to meet new people and ask them lots of questions. So prepare for that. If you ever need anything do not hesitate to ask an American. The majority of us are glad to help.

In general, the Hampton Roads/Chesapeake area is pretty average in terms of an American town/county. You could certainly pick a worse place to live!
VA Beach proper - the oceanfront is a very small part of the city. It has everything from farmland to industry.
I'm starting to defend the bloody place!
Time to drink.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I've been in the US since 1981. I married a chap in the US Navy when I was 18 and came over here. Two children later got a divorce and could not leave with the children. Remarried and another child, it's not where I would like to live but I am resigned to it. So it is hard for me to say "it's wonderful here, come on over" because in my heart I don't want to be here. That said, you may well love it here, there are much worse places. I don't even like the heat!

I was living in Harrow before I came here, first to Charleston SC, (too much religion down there), Cleveland, Ohio, (liked the greater Cleveland area and even liked the snow), Virginia Beach, Pascagoula Mississippi, (hated it) and back to Virginia Beach.
Hey thats so funny..we live in Pinner

Would you rather come back and live in Harrow again?
Harrow is going downhill fast.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hey thats so funny..we live in Pinner

Would you rather come back and live in Harrow again?
Harrow is going downhill fast.
It seemed different last time I was there. I think if I went back I would want to live in the Windsor area which is where my mother's family is from. That would require winning the lottery though, if i do 36 Douglas Lane, Wraysbury here I come, at any price.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wonder if we helped the OP or confused her.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

For which visa would your US employer be applying?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Whichever one NATO uses.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Whichever one NATO uses.
That's the other thing which bugs me.
We would only be there because of hubby's job with Nato and since this would be a move "forever", because the kids would then grow up and go to Uni there..I would not be able to work and if something would happen to hubby I would have to leave the country.
Worse case scenario....we are in the US for the last 10 years..kids are finished education and settled down in the US...something happen to hubby..I would have to leave the country because I have no right to stay there..
I'm not even sure that the kids allowed to stay once they are finished education..

I'm more and more leaning towards Somerset even thought it might would be an adventure living in the US..the lifestyle is properly better. I'm getting 50 next year and find it more and more difficult to move around different country's.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Nato is not an US employer
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:01 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
That's the other thing which bugs me.
We would only be there because of hubby's job with Nato and since this would be a move "forever", because the kids would then grow up and go to Uni there..I would not be able to work and if something would happen to hubby I would have to leave the country.
Worse case scenario....we are in the US for the last 10 years..kids are finished education and settled down in the US...something happen to hubby..I would have to leave the country because I have no right to stay there..
I'm not even sure that the kids allowed to stay once they are finished education..

I'm more and more leaning towards Somerset even thought it might would be an adventure living in the US..the lifestyle is properly better. I'm getting 50 next year and find it more and more difficult to move around different country's.
America is for the adventurous.
Better off in Somerset for just living.
Wells, Glastonbury, Cheddar and an endless myriad of small villages and towns; much more choices and far more enjoyable way of life than the US.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Xebedee
America is for the adventurous.
Better off in Somerset for just living.
Wells, Glastonbury, Cheddar and an endless myriad of small villages and towns; much more choices and far more enjoyable way of life than the US.
I wouldn't say adventurous, but looking at the other places the OP has lived I would say she would be happier anywhere in Europe than the US. If it was just for a 2 or 3 year tour of duty I'd say go for it.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:34 pm
gurt mint nit?

I wouldn't say adventurous, but looking at the other places the OP has lived I would say she would be happier anywhere in Europe than the US. If it was just for a 2 or 3 year tour of duty I'd say go for it.
Ok, ok then

Substitute for adventurous:
morbid
aberrant
unstable
pathological
sado-masochistic
despondent
Slough

or any appropriate adjective.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Ok, ok then

Substitute for adventurous:
morbid
aberrant
unstable
pathological
sado-masochistic
despondent
Slough

or any appropriate adjective.
My mother's family is from an area dangerously close to Slough.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:27 pm
gurt mint nit?

My mother's family is from an area dangerously close to Slough.
Slough - twin city of Hiroshima.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.