Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Norfolk,VA..Virginia Beach, VA

Norfolk,VA..Virginia Beach, VA

Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norfolk,VA..Virginia Beach, VA

Originally Posted by robskatie
That is my point, ordinary Americans are now more patriotic than ever, I think it's something you have to respect and not try to fight against, if you want to live over here it's something you find on an every day basis, especially in a highly populated military area.
I wouldn't use the word respect, I'm more resigned to it.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Only the east coast, midwest, and south east through Texas. There is a small area about the size of Western Europe on the west coast that isn't.
"so much", still a lot geographically speaking, I didn't say "most".
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bevinva
Agreed, but the patriotic aspect has been magnified in the past decade.
Oh yes, I have noticed that..even here in the UK. Not that the people are very patriotic..but suddenly every soldier is a hero. That has defiantly changed since my husband was in the army

Is just that I not used to patriotism...in Germany we don't really have it..neither do the Dutch or Belgium do it really...and as far as I can see it only shows in the UK at Football matches

Oh yes I know about the weather. I like it warm

I'm more interested about the social structure and if we would be happy to life there...is it not possible to live away from the military?
I have lived among them for to long now and would like a change.

On the other hand he could get a job in Somerset.

We live since 3 years in outer London now and we all don't like it to much, because it is to expensive, to may people and to much traffic on roads not made for it ..we would like to make one last move and that it.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Anybody here from the above area?
I'm not from there, but have visited Willliamsburg and Yorktown. I found them both a little old fashioned, especially in the manner of dress. It was like stepping back in time.

Is just that I not used to patriotism...in Germany we don't really have it..neither do the Dutch or Belgium do it really...and as far as I can see it only shows in the UK at Football matches

I think we Americans are very patriotic because God has blessed us by making us the greatest country in the world. It's extremely difficult to be humble when you are a citizen of the greatest country in the world. The Dutchens or Belgiumese might not have anything to be proud about. But that's OK, they can't help that they weren't born in the greatest country in the world (The US).

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jul 7th 2009 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'm not from there, but have visited Willliamsburg and Yorktown. I found them both a little old fashioned, especially in the manner of dress. It was like stepping back in time.

I think we Americans are very patriotic because God has blessed us by making us the greatest country in the world. It's extremely difficult to be humble when you are a citizen of the greatest country in the world. The Dutchens or Belgiumese might not have anything to be proud about. But that's OK, they can't help that they weren't born in the greatest country in the world (The US).
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I think we Americans are very patriotic because God has blessed us by making us the greatest country in the world. It's extremely difficult to be humble when you are a citizen of the greatest country in the world. The Dutchens or Belgiumese might not have anything to be proud about. But that's OK, they can't help that they weren't born in the the greatest country in the world (The US).

Normally I would laugh now...but because I actually have heard it in just a different way..I'm not

Mt brother in law is Canadian and on a flight to europe comes the moment were non European have to fill a form in.

One guy was asking if he had to fill it in as well..because he was American

My brother in law did ask him..are you European? If not fill it in
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anyhow..not want to get thread into making fun to much....

On a scale between 1-10..how religious and patriotic and friendly towards newcomers and tolerant are the (non) military people around there?

And does a big house and a very good income makes up for it?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:55 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

On a scale between 1-10..how religious and patriotic and friendly towards newcomers and tolerant are the (non) military people around there?

As compared to other parts of the US or as compared to the UK?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

As compared to other parts of the US or as compared to the UK?
Other parts of US...
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

The religion thing is not bad here. If 10 is the worst I'd put it at a 3.

Patriotic 10 if 10 is most patriotic.

Friendly to newcomers 8, with 10 being friendliest. (But a large part of the population from other states because of the military.)

People are quite tolerant on the whole. 7 with 10 being best.

The military is there in the neighbourhoods so to speak. We have friends who are in the military, we help the spouses out when the military member is deployed but we would help any friend in the same way, lots of jobs require travel away from home. The military is covered on the local news but it doesn't control my day to day life.

As with anywhere a nice house and income for the area makes things much easier.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bevinva,

how long are you already living in the US and are you planning to stay there? Were are you from originally and are you married to a American?

Only answer if you want to
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:42 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody here from the above area?
Hubby works for Nato and has this idea that he wants to go for a job in Norfolk...big Naval Base.
...........I just don't know and would like to hear from other people living in the area what live is like there
Hi,

Been in Hampton Roads for about 4 years now.
Been in the US since Thatcher.

Upsides:
Lots of things to do with kids (museums, water, fun parks, historical)
Somewhat (for now) economically insulated (at least its not Detroit)
People are friendly, not too fake - its Southern but not too Southern.
Proximity to DC, NC beaches.
Two minor int'l airports (Williamsburg and Norfolk)
Good night life in Norfolk
There is a German bar/restaurant and also a German grocer in the area.
There are 2 Brit grocers

Downsides:
There is an undercurrent of racism (black/white)
The bridges make commuting rubbish at times.
Va Beach is full of Scots.
We can get hurricanes here.
Its a "right to work state" (aka "right to be fired" state)
The local radio is absolute garbage (country/religion/mouldy old rock)

Neutral:
Big military presence & attitudes tend to be more right wing here
Very hot (very humid) summers and very mild winters (rarely snows)
The usual US shopping options (malls/plaza's, etc etc)
Cost of living averages out even as compared to most places in the US.

Any specific questions?

Last edited by Xebedee; Jul 7th 2009 at 4:44 pm. Reason: forgot bacon
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bevinva,

how long are you already living in the US and are you planning to stay there? Were are you from originally and are you married to a American?

Only answer if you want to
I've been in the US since 1981. I married a chap in the US Navy when I was 18 and came over here. Two children later got a divorce and could not leave with the children. Remarried and another child, it's not where I would like to live but I am resigned to it. So it is hard for me to say "it's wonderful here, come on over" because in my heart I don't want to be here. That said, you may well love it here, there are much worse places. I don't even like the heat!

I was living in Harrow before I came here, first to Charleston SC, (too much religion down there), Cleveland, Ohio, (liked the greater Cleveland area and even liked the snow), Virginia Beach, Pascagoula Mississippi, (hated it) and back to Virginia Beach.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is an undercurrent of racism everywhere I have been in the US.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

SMSH will become famous soon enough

We would not live in Norfolk...more like towards the Virginia Beach and Chesapeake area..
Why not Norfolk? I recently read in the paper about how NATO families used to head out to Virginia Beach, but many are now turning to Norfolk as a place to live. Norfolk has its not-so-nice areas, but it also has many diverse neighborhoods from older Victorian-era houses, to smaller 1950s cape cods and, of course, modern (to name but a few types). If you want a place along East Beach in Norfolk you would be looking at at least $600,000 for a beach house, but more reasonable prices can be found on Willoughby Spit. If you want to take a look at houses in the area, try the following link:

www.williamewood.com

You can then look up houses in the Virginia Beach, Norfolk or Chesapeake areas.

You best bet, to be honest, is to come out to Hampton Roads and take a look around and see what you think.

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.