Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Next Step to The US !

The Next Step to The US !

Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey! Sloppy Joes brings back some good memories, as does The Hippodrome (saw The Prodigy there). Siege House is nice also. Clowns was okay. Axe Music used to be mainly supported by me when I was younger (probably why they shut down).

Colchester is the nuts. Fact. The castle and its grounds are always great, especially in the summer or for firework night. Eld Lane and Culver St are so nice to walk along and window shop. Oh man, just the thought of The Hot Sausage stand has me salivating, especially as its set up next to The Bakers Oven so you can get an Iced Finger afterwards =))

Clacton has its place too, my folks and a couple of siblings still reside there on Martello Bay on the seafront. A lot of my friends obviously still live there also. I was at the Air Show there in August before we left those shores and it was a top day at the beach.

Ah memories....

David.

Originally posted by HelenWebber
Can't speak for the night life I am affraid, single Mum of 3 small ones, I don't get out much! But did have a good meal last year at the seige house. Very nice. And of course sloppy Joes, love the place. Infact I am currently divorcing a former barman from the place LOL.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 5:19 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by datcha
Blimey! Sloppy Joes brings back some good memories, as does The Hippodrome (saw The Prodigy there). Siege House is nice also. Clowns was okay. Axe Music used to be mainly supported by me when I was younger (probably why they shut down).

Colchester is the nuts. Fact. The castle and its grounds are always great, especially in the summer or for firework night. Eld Lane and Culver St are so nice to walk along and window shop. Oh man, just the thought of The Hot Sausage stand has me salivating, especially as its set up next to The Bakers Oven so you can get an Iced Finger afterwards =))

Clacton has its place too, my folks and a couple of siblings still reside there on Martello Bay on the seafront. A lot of my friends obviously still live there also. I was at the Air Show there in August before we left those shores and it was a top day at the beach.

Ah memories....

David.
oh my you do miss the place! I don't think Eld Lane is quite the same since the joke shop closed down a while back! I have never been to clowns, I hear the portions are big though! and ahh Martello Bay, isn't that up by where Butlins used to be? memories...

Ok so its not so bad here, LOL, BUT not nice enough to keep me away from Chicago! Unfortunatly all my family have moved away, my parents having just moved to Dorset to be near my sisters... I guess they didn't want to be here alone when i have gone, so I won't really have much of a reason to return. The kids dad doesn't live here either, he moved to Bury st edmunds.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 5:37 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by helenw
oh my you do miss the place! I don't think Eld Lane is quite the same since the joke shop closed down a while back! I have never been to clowns, I hear the portions are big though! and ahh Martello Bay, isn't that up by where Butlins used to be? memories...

Ok so its not so bad here, LOL, BUT not nice enough to keep me away from Chicago! Unfortunatly all my family have moved away, my parents having just moved to Dorset to be near my sisters... I guess they didn't want to be here alone when i have gone, so I won't really have much of a reason to return. The kids dad doesn't live here either, he moved to Bury st edmunds.
Helen, you are going to LOVE Chicago!!!! It is such a FANTASTIC CITY!!!!! Any questions just fire them at me. I lived there for five years or so. Just loved it is all I can say, and I still miss CHICAGO. Been away over a year now and I still miss the skyline, the shops, the friendliness of the place, the gorgeous lake front, the magnificent mile, the museums, the Chicago Art Institute (a FANTASTIC collection of Monets!!!!!) You are so lucky to be moving there!!!! Very best of luck!

Old Jan 28th 2004, 5:40 pm
Franklin

And don't forget to go the Planetarium on the lakefront. The view from the top of the steps and back across the waterfront is FANTASTIC. I have never seen a view like it. When you see it you will know what I mean.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:00 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
And don't forget to go the Planetarium on the lakefront. The view from the top of the steps and back across the waterfront is FANTASTIC. I have never seen a view like it. When you see it you will know what I mean.

Thanks for all that!

I went to the Adler Planetarium in 2002 with my Husband to be. Although we had know each other already for a few years, that was when we trully 'got together'. He took me to the planetarium, and then we went up the john hancock. It was my birthday and he said he wanted to show me the stars, as I had made his life heaven. Oh and another place on that day... Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder. Now those pizzas were heaven LOL.

I have been over there on a couple of trips, 8 weeks in total. The last time I stayed in Mount Prospect, the first in Naperville, Naperville is where I shall be living eventually!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:06 pm
Franklin

Thanks for all that!

I went to the Adler Planetarium in 2002 with my Husband to be. Although we had know each other already for a few years, that was when we trully 'got together'. He took me to the planetarium, and then we went up the john hancock. It was my birthday and he said he wanted to show me the stars, as I had made his life heaven. Oh and another place on that day... Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder. Now those pizzas were heaven LOL.

I have been over there on a couple of trips, 8 weeks in total. The last time I stayed in Mount Prospect, the first in Naperville, Naperville is where I shall be living eventually!
What does your to be hubby do?

Naperville is a nice town. It also has good train connections to downtown (Northwestern Train Station), the station is about a half mile west of the so called "Loop"; I actually lived across the street from NW Train Station, in Presidential Towers "PT". And worked above the station (there's a 40 storey building built over the station, called the CitiCorp Building). I sure miss Chicago.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:08 pm
Franklin

Thanks for all that!

btw, that was so sweet, "It was my birthday and he said he wanted to show me the stars, as I had made his life heaven." Yeah, seen those stars countless times! As you go up the escalator in the Adler Planetarium.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:19 pm
Essex Girl

What does your to be hubby do?

Naperville is a nice town. It also has good train connections to downtown (Northwestern Train Station), the station is about a half mile west of the so called "Loop"; I actually lived across the street from NW Train Station, in Presidential Towers "PT". And worked above the station (there's a 40 storey building built over the station, called the CitiCorp Building). I sure miss Chicago.

He works for United airlines at their world HQ in Elk Grove. Which is good as it means he can fly for next to nothing to come visit!

I have heard it said that people who have lived in Chicago fall in love with it. Naperville is good. It has a very good school district, so I am glad about that. My oldest son (8) is 'gifted' in computer skills, but gets no help at all in the UK school system. I understand he will in Naperville.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:48 pm
Franklin

He works for United airlines at their world HQ in Elk Grove. Which is good as it means he can fly for next to nothing to come visit!

I have heard it said that people who have lived in Chicago fall in love with it. Naperville is good. It has a very good school district, so I am glad about that. My oldest son (8) is 'gifted' in computer skills, but gets no help at all in the UK school system. I understand he will in Naperville.
U bet, the schools in Naperville are VERY good. They are extremely well supported by the parents and get very good funding. Many management level people live in Naperville along with professionals, so it is a pretty up market community that is interested in having good schools for their kids.

One of my friends in night school worked for UAL at Elk Grove. He liked it, but his wife did not like the winter season (from Florida). Chicago O'Hare is UAL's hub, their terminal is pretty good. He's a lawyer now, I need to contact him to find out if he is still in Elk Grove (darn that I can't remember his name!!), your to-be hubby might know him!

Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kite Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thought you might like this - was taken on New Years Eve.
Attached Thumbnails The Next Step to The US !-108_0822.jpg  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kite Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh - sorry - too large!!! Let me try and resize it!!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:49 pm
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kite Chick
Oh - sorry - too large!!! Let me try and resize it!!
Lovely picture thanks! Its such a breathtaking view I think. To think I was in white castle new years LOL. (love those sliders) Ahh but then spent the night at the essence suites in Orland Park... Hmmm. http://www.essencesuites.com/
Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Durhams is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I love it here in too, but can't wait for it to warm up a little bit -5F today here in Naperville, and snowing at the momet.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Helen, you are going to LOVE Chicago!!!! It is such a FANTASTIC CITY!!!!! Any questions just fire them at me. I lived there for five years or so. Just loved it is all I can say, and I still miss CHICAGO. Been away over a year now and I still miss the skyline, the shops, the friendliness of the place, the gorgeous lake front, the magnificent mile, the museums, the Chicago Art Institute (a FANTASTIC collection of Monets!!!!!) You are so lucky to be moving there!!!! Very best of luck!

Honestly, PA! I mean, I know Chicago is cool and all that, but don't you think your shoveling it on a bit?
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
Honestly, PA! I mean, I know Chicago is cool and all that, but don't you think your shoveling it on a bit?
Do you ever post something thats not negative? Jeez!

Chicago is a fantastic city. Spent a few days there back in 97.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.