Reload this Page >

The Next Step to The US !

The Next Step to The US !

Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:03 am
Come on you Blues

IpswichElvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question The Next Step to The US !

Excuse my ignorance but.............

As a US passport holder (Dad was in USAF) who has never lived in The US I have been told I can get my SSN at the embassy in London (a good result I think !).

(I think I will apply for US Citizenship for my 2 boys while there, sorry just thinking out loud).

Is my SSN really the only thing I need to seek employment there or is there something I'm missing ?

I have read some of the 'horror stories' posted on here and think I must have missed 'the catch'.

Oh, East Anglia has had 1/2 an inch of snow overnight and has come to a standstill !!!

Many thanks.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:36 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure you just need your ssn.
Mind you in some South Western states you don't even need that anymore.
Bush will let you live and work cos he likes you
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:44 am
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Next Step to The US !

Originally posted by IpswichElvis
Excuse my ignorance but.............

As a US passport holder (Dad was in USAF) who has never lived in The US I have been told I can get my SSN at the embassy in London (a good result I think !).

(I think I will apply for US Citizenship for my 2 boys while there, sorry just thinking out loud).

Is my SSN really the only thing I need to seek employment there or is there something I'm missing ?

I have read some of the 'horror stories' posted on here and think I must have missed 'the catch'.

Oh, East Anglia has had 1/2 an inch of snow overnight and has come to a standstill !!!

Many thanks.
Ha! We had 3 inches down here in Colchester, and it is chaos! And how the people are saying how cold it is LOL. On my recent visit to Chicago we had temps of -20c! These people don't know what cold, or snow is!!!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:18 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by helenw
Ha! We had 3 inches down here in Colchester, and it is chaos! And how the people are saying how cold it is LOL. On my recent visit to Chicago we had temps of -20c! These people don't know what cold, or snow is!!!
Yep. It can get "stinking cold' in Chicago!!!

I love Chicago. Greatest City on Earth, imho!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 28th 2004 at 3:38 pm.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Yep. I can get "stinking cold' in Chicaog!!!

-15 centrigrade here this morning, plus 8 - 10 ins. of snow from the last couple of days. Makes East Anglia seem like Bermuda.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

ever been to Halifax?
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:21 pm
Come on you Blues

IpswichElvis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by excpomea
Pretty sure you just need your ssn.
Mind you in some South Western states you don't even need that anymore.
Bush will let you live and work cos he likes you
How is Tallahassee (excuse spelling) ? We are looking at moving to Tampa so are researching the area. Do you recommend the Ex Pat lifestyle ?
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:32 pm
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Wonderfull place! Well best one i've been to anyway
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:35 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
-15 centrigrade here this morning, plus 8 - 10 ins. of snow from the last couple of days. Makes East Anglia seem like Bermuda.
Try telling the Mums at the school that LOL. Moan moan moan. Not enough decent snow to do anything with for the kids either. One of them asked why we didn't have snow plows! Oh my, we didn't even have the main roads up by us gritted/salted! They have very fond memories of the snow plows when we were in the US.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:40 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by manc1976
ever been to Halifax?

Tell me! It's way beyond "stinking cold". :scared:

Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:59 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by IpswichElvis
How is Tallahassee (excuse spelling) ? We are looking at moving to Tampa so are researching the area. Do you recommend the Ex Pat lifestyle ?

Tallahassee and Tampa although only a few hrs apart are on different planets.

I have family in Tampa and to me it's the sort of place Brits think of when they think of Florida.
Very nice, but I wouldn't want to live down that way.
Tallahassee on the other hand is more like Georgia. Kind of "Southern" but a real nice place to live.
Houses are decently priced although wages are low compared to the rest of Florida.
Schools are good (as long as you live on the North side of the city) For some reason the schools in the more ethnicaly challenged South side of town seem to not be doing so well.
Good luck wherever end up.
Expat lifestyle? I'm assuming you need expats for that. Myself I am one of the very few Brits in the area. In the 4 years we have been here I say I have met maybe a dozen other Brits.
Life is good though

Last edited by excpomea; Jan 28th 2004 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helenw
Ha! We had 3 inches down here in Colchester, and it is chaos!
I actually really miss Colchester - best town centre shopping bar none. Though being brought up in Clacton would make any city with a big Woolies worthwhile =)

Cheers,
David.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:23 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I miss Colly too; spent 4 years there and I loved the place. The nightlife used to be great.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:33 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by datcha
I actually really miss Colchester - best town centre shopping bar none. Though being brought up in Clacton would make any city with a big Woolies worthwhile =)

Cheers,
David.
Hey I like Clacton! My kids adore the place for obvious reasons... they are small and enjoy the pier! My divorce solicitor is also based there, so I take a trip down there often. And the Wollies in Clacton aint that bad!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:37 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
I miss Colly too; spent 4 years there and I loved the place. The nightlife used to be great.
Guess I will appreciate it more when I have left it! But seriously. I did take the place for granted untill my US chap started visiting here, and showing him round etc made me realise we do have a nice town full of everything! I am taking plenty of pics for the kids for when they get older of like the casle park in spring etc.

Can't speak for the night life I am affraid, single Mum of 3 small ones, I don't get out much! But did have a good meal last year at the seige house. Very nice. And of course sloppy Joes, love the place. Infact I am currently divorcing a former barman from the place LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.