Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Next Step to The US !

The Next Step to The US !

Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Do you ever post something thats not negative? Jeez!

Chicago is a fantastic city. Spent a few days there back in 97.

HA! Arizona resident - 'nuff said. Live here in January - I dare you. I double dare you.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
HA! Arizona resident - 'nuff said. Live here in January - I dare you. I double dare you.
No thanks. Chicago was hot and sweaty when I was there. I dont like humidity or cold
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:38 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by Kite Chick
Hi

Thought you might like this - was taken on New Years Eve.

That's THE VIEW!!!! I just loved to stand at the point where you took that shot from and marvel at the view of Chicago's skyline. I can't get it out of my head.

That "Red Building" (owned by CNA, insurance/health care people) was in the news a while ago. A plate glass window fell out of the red building and crashed into Walbash Street which runs between my law school and the red building. The plate glass decapitated a mother who was holding the hands of her youngest child. I walked that side-walk many times to go to a car-park on Walbash across the street from CNA's red building - I sometimes got a lift (ok, "ride") home with a class-mate who commuted home up the Eisenhower. Mayor Daley got that whole stretch of sidewalk covered until the CNA's glass windows were checked and fixed up. The whole thing was very sad.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 29th 2004 at 1:53 pm.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:43 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by Pimpbot
No thanks. Chicago was hot and sweaty when I was there. I dont like humidity or cold

Yeah, it can feel like "treacle" in the months of July and August. ... the only down side to Chicago, imho. But I moved downtown and so walked across the street to work so hardly got hit by it. During the summer (I took a summer night class to speed my law degree along) I sometimes got a cab to avoid turning into a puddle, but for the most part the sun was on the way down in the east, so it was not so bad.

In the winter on freezing cold days I would walk across the street from my building to the CitiCorp building (above Northwestern train station, now called something like the "Oligavey Center" or something like that) ... anyway, I would walk across the street in bitterly cold weather in shirt-sleeves, I called it "my brisk walk". It was very brisk. Woke me up if I needed to wake up, like a freezing cold shower and if the lights were red I got a red nose!

When I did not get a ride home after law class, I had a fantastic walk home. Right past Sears Tower. Fantastic building. I would look up and marvel at it, so different from where I came from. At night I would go to sleep with Sears Tower shining through my bedroom window - some of the floors were always lit up. There was an evening shift where secretaries typed away in the law firms, graveyard shift in Sears Tower!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 28th 2004 at 11:57 pm.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:51 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by Kite Chick
Hi

Thought you might like this - was taken on New Years Eve.

You probably know this, but the tall oblong building (just north of Grant Park) is a sister building to the WTC (World Trade Center), same design, same architect, but lacked a TV tower and had fewer floors. Its name changed from the "Amoco Building" to some other name. Not sure what it is now. One of the big law firms has a few floors in the building, they may take a BIG hit from the Enron mess, they were the main lawyers for Enron. The building has a very strange elevator system. I had to deliver documents (one of my jobs as a law clerk) to that law firm, the elevators are double-deckers. At least that is the way they seemed to work, sometimes the elevator would stop, but the doors did not open, but I could hear a set of doors opening right above "my" elevator. It was weird.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 29th 2004 at 2:01 pm.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:26 am
Come on you Blues

IpswichElvis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
I miss Colly too; spent 4 years there and I loved the place. The nightlife used to be great.
I agree, the nightlife was excellent. In our younger days we used to go to 'The Hipodrome' & 'The Tartan House' (before they pulled it down !

Happy days !