Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newcomers Guide?

Newcomers Guide?

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomers Guide?

Originally Posted by Sound Boy
If I knew the questions to ask or what areas I need help on, I wouldn't be needing a checklist or some such list of things to tell me.

It is precisely because I don't know what I might have left out of my plans that I have posed this question.
I understand what you mean ..but the subject can be so vast ...
forums are great for individual question ...but to cover a whole subject its impossible... even 500 page books may omit something ...

Your from the UK I presume ... so if I have said to you ..I'm moving to the UK where should I live ... I may well get a hundred questions first..

You just have to refine your questions ...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Although forums are no substitute for official information, I think forums such as this should offer a simple list of things that new immigrants need to consider before/after they have arrived at their destination country (even if they have planned properly) and which previous migrants can help with.

There may be such a thing on this site, but I haven't found it.
http://britishexpats.com/articles/
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:57 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
One suggestion: if someone is about to post in one of the immigration forums for the first time, could you guys have a message flash up along the lines: "Please check the WIKI section before posting your query - you may find your answer there".

It's just a little frustrating that so many people post the most basic questions, clearly without having done any research whatsoever.
Why not just close the forum to newcomers and turn it into an exclusive club where seasoned posters can ramble on about the same inconsequential crap over and over again, while avoiding having to give any useful advice to irritating newbies? Just a thought.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:03 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Although forums are no substitute for official information, I think forums such as this should offer a simple list of things that new immigrants need to consider before/after they have arrived at their destination country (even if they have planned properly) and which previous migrants can help with.

There may be such a thing on this site, but I haven't found it.
Have a look at this guide, it's from the USCIS website.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:09 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Why not just close the forum to newcomers and turn it into an exclusive club where seasoned posters can ramble on about the same inconsequential crap over and over again, while avoiding having to give any useful advice to irritating newbies? Just a thought.
Harsh. Elvira does try to help people in the immigration forums.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it's called "The Lounge".
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman

Look it up in the wiki ... oh, hell "not in this lifetime"
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think many people do help out, a lot, but it does get frustrating when someone can't even be bothered to do anything themselves, I'm not referring to the OP here, but in general, it's fair enough if someone said they googled for this and that, but didn't understand it, or asked where to go from there, at least they tried, it's just when some asks you to do all the work for them, it's annoying, especially when they at the very least could try and search this very forum for similar situations.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 5:29 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Bob
I think many people do help out, a lot, but it does get frustrating when someone can't even be bothered to do anything themselves, I'm not referring to the OP here, but in general, it's fair enough if someone said they googled for this and that, but didn't understand it, or asked where to go from there, at least they tried, it's just when some asks you to do all the work for them, it's annoying, especially when they at the very least could try and search this very forum for similar situations.
That attitude is so unfair. It doesn't apply to regular posters posting the same old topics week in, week out. Why not say to them "if you wan't a decent curry, English bacon, Cadburys creme egg or a can of Lucozade then use the search feature, don't be so lazy, it's just plain annoying." Or why not say "don't ask AGAIN, what I miss, don't miss, like dislike, about the US", or "why I cam here, how long I've been here, what brought me here". "Just use the bloody search feature!"

Just trying to be fair.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That attitude is so unfair. It doesn't apply to regular posters posting the same old topics week in, week out. Why not say to them "if you wan't a decent curry, English bacon, Cadburys creme egg or a can of Lucozade then use the search feature, don't be so lazy, it's just plain annoying." Or why not say "don't ask AGAIN, what I miss, don't miss, like dislike, about the US", or "why I cam here, how long I've been here, what brought me here". "Just use the bloody search feature!"

Just trying to be fair.
My interpretation was that Elvira was referring to the Immigration forums not the general forums.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My interpretation was that Elvira was referring to the Immigration forums not the general forums.
Indeed - especially the endless "I've met an American we are so in love how can I move to America" posts...

The "I'm a plumber from Britain-is-going-to-the-dogs and want to move to Florida" posts tend to surface more in the USA forum though...
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just trying to be fair.
Aye, topics come and go, but when your basing a life changing decision, shouldn't you at least be arsed to spend a few mins to try and google something for yourself rather than someone hold your hand every step of the way? It's fair enough asking for more guidance and clarification, but when some one asks a question that has been asked and answered numerous times on the same page and couldn't be even arsed to look them up, then it gets annoying...why should anyone bother help someone who couldn't be bothered to even at least try help themselves?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:28 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, topics come and go, but when your basing a life changing decision, shouldn't you at least be arsed to spend a few mins to try and google something for yourself rather than someone hold your hand every step of the way? It's fair enough asking for more guidance and clarification, but when some one asks a question that has been asked and answered numerous times on the same page and couldn't be even arsed to look them up, then it gets annoying...why should anyone bother help someone who couldn't be bothered to even at least try help themselves?
The information available can be overwhelming. I had something, totally unrelated to immigration but just as life changing, that I was looking into for a friend. I didn't have a clue about where to start. The information is plentiful but confusing and I wasted a couple of days wading through it just to get the basics. Thank goodness I found a friendly forum on the subject. I just wish I'd found it before I wasted all that time. Especially since the people on that forum are friendly and helpful and accept that people will come along who really don't have a clue and are feeling overwhelmed by the whole process.

It's just disheartening to see people making assumptions about the capability of newbies based on the first stupid question that comes out of their mouth. As for being arsed to help themselves, I would consider the fact that they have managed to navigate themselves to this forum a good faith effort, clear evidence of them already having googled something for themselves, JMHO.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's just disheartening to see people making assumptions about the capability of newbies based on the first stupid question that comes out of their mouth. As for being arsed to help themselves, I would consider the fact that they have managed to navigate themselves to this forum a good faith effort, clear evidence of them already having googled something for themselves, JMHO.
Googled for the first thing and stopped.

Anyway, your just nit picking on the handful of posts that are a bit snappy, there are pages of posts of very helpful information by various people....and don't forget, joining a forum, it's polite manners to at the very least read what the forum index says about the forums, and post appropriately and/or check the faq. People that say they have at least tried to do a forum search are going to get more receptive response from someone who posted the same question in multiple forums, completely ignoring a similar question being asked by someone else a few minutes before hand.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:59 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Bob
Googled for the first thing and stopped.

Anyway, your just nit picking on the handful of posts that are a bit snappy, there are pages of posts of very helpful information by various people....and don't forget, joining a forum, it's polite manners to at the very least read what the forum index says about the forums, and post appropriately and/or check the faq. People that say they have at least tried to do a forum search are going to get more receptive response from someone who posted the same question in multiple forums, completely ignoring a similar question being asked by someone else a few minutes before hand.
The FAQ, useful? You have to be FAQing joking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.