Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newcomers Guide?

Newcomers Guide?

Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Sound Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcomers Guide?

Although forums are no substitute for official information, I think forums such as this should offer a simple list of things that new immigrants need to consider before/after they have arrived at their destination country (even if they have planned properly) and which previous migrants can help with.

There may be such a thing on this site, but I haven't found it.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomers Guide?

Originally Posted by Sound Boy
Although forums are no substitute for official information, I think forums such as this should offer a simple list of things that new immigrants need to consider before/after they have arrived at their destination country (even if they have planned properly) and which previous migrants can help with.

The Wiki (at the top of the page) is an attempt to do some of that...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The Wiki (at the top of the page) is an attempt to do some of that...
Thank you. I felt that there would be something like this, as it is a common need.

by the way, it would never have occured to me to look at a word, the meaning of which is no in common usage. What is Wiki anyway??
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I felt that there would be something like this, as it is a common need.

by the way, it would never have occured to me to look at a word, the meaning of which is no in common usage. What is Wiki anyway??
Wiki commonly refers to wikipedia - www.wikipedia.com - an online encyclopedia that many are familiar with. So I guess "wiki" is creeping into common usage.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym
Wiki commonly refers to wikipedia - www.wikipedia.com - an online encyclopedia that many are familiar with. So I guess "wiki" is creeping into common usage.

New to me.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:32 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

New to me.

Get out more.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:34 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

it's a beach in Hawaii.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of. Chicken and egg thing--wikis were around before wikipedia, but wikipedia is definitely the best example.

A wiki (IPA: [ˈwɪ.kiː] or [ˈwiː.kiː]) is a website that allows visitors to add, remove, and edit content. A collaborative technology for organizing information on Web sites, the first wiki (WikiWikiWeb) was developed by Ward Cunningham in the mid-1990s. Wikis allow for linking among any number of pages. This ease of interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for mass collaborative authoring. Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, is one of the best known wikis.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:38 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

You get the guide to the US when you get off the plane - just like the guide to life you get when you're born.
Figuring it out is part of the fun.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

you lot clearly have too much time on your hands.
I thought I was dealing with adults.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not all that fond of wiki's simply because the information included is posted by average people and not always legitimate, accurate, or up-to-date. It's fine for looking up the diet of the red robin but for data that changes frequently, the info is not always current. Just MO
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There's always the little used tool called "search". This particular forum will give you much info on various areas of the US in regards to living, working and playing. Can also find info on credit history, establishing credit, school enrollment issues, health insurance, etc.

Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm not all that fond of wiki's simply because the information included is posted by average people and not always legitimate, accurate, or up-to-date. It's fine for looking up the diet of the red robin but for data that changes frequently, the info is not always current. Just MO
A guy I work with has the same opinion. I can see your point but I think wikipedia has a pretty good oversight/moderation system in place. Its no oracle, though.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
A guy I work with has the same opinion. I can see your point but I think wikipedia has a pretty good oversight/moderation system in place. Its no oracle, though.
I think wiki is a good starting point, but then one has to check out the original sources if one wants to be sure of the accuracy of the information.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think wiki is a good starting point, but then one has to check out the original sources if one wants to be sure of the accuracy of the information.
Yeah, what she said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.