Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newcomers Guide?

Newcomers Guide?

Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomers Guide?

Originally Posted by Sound Boy
Although forums are no substitute for official information, I think forums such as this should offer a simple list of things that new immigrants need to consider before/after they have arrived at their destination country (even if they have planned properly) and which previous migrants can help with.

There may be such a thing on this site, but I haven't found it.
Why not start off with 10 questions ...or even 5 ....
we don't know the extent of your knowledge ...or what sort of things you what to know about ...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think wiki is a good starting point, but then one has to check out the original sources if one wants to be sure of the accuracy of the information.
And that means double the work. Why not just go to the source originally.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And that means double the work. Why not just go to the source originally.
IF you know how to find it! Sometimes half the trouble is how to phrase your google search to get meaningful answers.

Sometimes it is easier to go to Wiki first and get an overview of the issues and sources.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IF you know how to find it! Sometimes half the trouble is how to phrase your google search to get meaningful answers.

Sometimes it is easier to go to Wiki first and get an overview of the issues and sources.

Never said it isn't useful just that I don't use it because I can't see the point in it for anything I need to know. Actually would never think to use a wiki as a search tool.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Never said it isn't useful just that I don't use it because I can't see the point in it for anything I need to know. Actually would never think to use a wiki as a search tool.
Not even this one?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Not even this one?
That's just down Rete's street.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Actually would never think to use a wiki as a search tool.

Founder of Wikipedia plans search engine to rival Google
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not all that fond of wiki's simply because the information included is posted by average people and not always legitimate, accurate, or up-to-date. It's fine for looking up the diet of the red robin but for data that changes frequently, the info is not always current. Just MO
Aye, but it's a good starting point, and plenty of the info is solid, and where things change, such as immigration info, there's links to uscis to double check things....plus people like to have their hands held otherwise they wouldn't ask the same questions on here when they find this site etc..
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but it's a good starting point, and plenty of the info is solid, and where things change, such as immigration info, there's links to uscis to double check things....plus people like to have their hands held otherwise they wouldn't ask the same questions on here when they find this site etc..
One suggestion: if someone is about to post in one of the immigration forums for the first time, could you guys have a message flash up along the lines: "Please check the WIKI section before posting your query - you may find your answer there".

It's just a little frustrating that so many people post the most basic questions, clearly without having done any research whatsoever.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

One suggestion: if someone is about to post in one of the immigration forums for the first time, could you guys have a message flash up along the lines: "Please check the WIKI section before posting your query - you may find your answer there".

It's just a little frustrating that so many people post the most basic questions, clearly without having done any research whatsoever.
Probably best to post your request in the Site Feedback forum...Paul's bound to notice it there.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

true, but wouldn't work for people who post via usenet.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:29 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by elfman
Not even this one?
Eeks, NITLT
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That's just down Rete's street.

Rete takes that bouncing little lamb and shears his fluffy little butt and then sticks the wool down his throat to silence the bugger

If you only knew the real me
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

NITLT
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Sound Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Why not start off with 10 questions ...or even 5 ....
we don't know the extent of your knowledge ...or what sort of things you what to know about ...

If I knew the questions to ask or what areas I need help on, I wouldn't be needing a checklist or some such list of things to tell me.

It is precisely because I don't know what I might have left out of my plans that I have posed this question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.