Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Florida Gun Law

New Florida Gun Law

Old May 15th 2005, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Florida Gun Law

Originally Posted by Franklin
Only under anotherlimey law!

The reasonable person standard is used throughout US and English law ... sorry, but that is the truth, and you and I and everyone else on US soil or under English law is subject to it. The power of ignorance does not make it go away.
That's right, the reasonable person as defined in law but decided by your peers which makes it open to opinion. Sorry Franklin, but you were wrong.

Last edited by anotherlimey; May 15th 2005 at 8:26 pm.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
When purchasing a pistol, you have to fill in a Federal form (don't remember its name but it is pink). This is part of the paper trail that shows you are the legal owner of the firearm.
Addendum: the Federal form is yellow, not pink.

NC Penguin
Old May 15th 2005, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but living in the movie world is great because they always roll a car nice and safely rather than getting squished by that car blocking the road
And as it is with guns in the movies, where supposedly you can see bullets coming and dodge them, whilst executing a triple backflip, firing twin pistols out to either side and behind you, and killing all of your ten attackers

So loads of people think whoo-hoo, lets go out and buy a gun, then we'll be invincible....
Old May 15th 2005, 8:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Addendum: the Federal form is yellow, not pink.
NC Penguin
BATFE Form 4473
Old May 15th 2005, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
And as it is with guns in the movies, where supposedly you can see bullets coming and dodge them, whilst executing a triple backflip, firing twin pistols out to either side and behind you, and killing all of your ten attackers
You mean you can't? Damn it, that means I'll have to get another defence against burglars.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So loads of people think whoo-hoo, lets go out and buy a gun, then we'll be invincible....
OH god !!! and I wanted to shoot 23 bullets out of two 44mag revolvers while holding them sideward...and killing at least 30 people .. I know its possible ..I seen it on a film ..
Old May 15th 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You mean you can't? Damn it, that means I'll have to get another defence against burglars.
I'd recommend a good alarm system and some decent locks
Old May 15th 2005, 8:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the law should mandate a minimum amount of weapon training before you are allowed to buy one. I know lots of people who have guns, and I know that 90% of them could never defend themselves in a situation that requires one.

That what scares me - not so much the fact that people have guns, but the fact that too many action movie fans have them, who think its all like it is on TV.
I'd like to add that firearms owners should also be mandated to show evidence of having shot/practised at least x no. of hours p/yr with their firearms to show continued safe practice and accuracy of handling their weapons.

If one has firearms in the home, it seems redundant not to be able to use them safely and to shoot accurately. Otherwise, what's the point of having them?

NC Penguin
Old May 15th 2005, 8:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Can't shoot a burglar in NC. Can only shoot if one or one's loved ones are in "mortal danger". Defence of property is not a legal defence in NC...

Laws may differ around the country.

Last edited by NC Penguin; May 15th 2005 at 8:54 pm.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and heaven forbid if you actually get killed from being shot....unlike not feeling a thing when that bullet hits your shoulder and shatters the joint and bouncing down through your gut and splintering apart....which would never happen in a movie