Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Car Choice (Help & advice sought)

New Car Choice (Help & advice sought)

Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: New Car Choice (Help & advice sought)

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Although if you're going to look at from the 'Merikan point of view - the Toyota is the way to go as it seats 7 and has 16 cup holders !!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
We used to own the Dodge Grand Caravan, and now have a Jeep Grand Cherokee instead. The caravan was great for room and for gas milage - I drove it through snow in the winter without too much problem as it's front wheel drive. The jeep is big inside as well, and handles great in the winter, just gets less miles for your dollar. If you need 4WD, I'd suggest the jeep, otherwise sgo for the minivan, as you can never have tooooo much room.
We own a Dodge Grand Caravan (along with a crappy Hyundai Accent ) and I really recommend the Caravan. We get great gas mileage and we've taken it on a few trips and its always very comfortable, to drive and sit.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Just aint worth near as much money as a Honda of the same year, spec and condition.
A quick check reveals a new Honda of a similar spec is $2k more to buy ..
and is worth $2k more at re-sale.. pretty much negates it...
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
- Chrysler Pacifica
- Chrysler Town & Country
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Chevy Trailblazer / Ford "Exploder"
You missed Subaru B9 Tribeca.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
A quick check reveals a NEW Honda of a similar spec is $2k more to buy ..
and is worth $2k more at re-sale.. pretty much negates it...

Now look at "used' car prices and not "new' car prices, thats where you'll find the depreciation.

According to KBB
2005 Honda Odyssey EX with Air, leather, DVD player and sat nav
MSRP $34,845
Invoice $31,397
New car KBB value $33, 451

2005 Chrysler T & C Air, leather, DVD player BUT does NOT say incl Sat nav
MSRP $36,360 ($1515 more than Honda)
Invoice $33,271 ($1874 morethan Honda
New car KBB value $33,271 ($180 less than a Honda)

I quoted my source

Last edited by rushman; Nov 1st 2005 at 1:58 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Now look at "used' car prices and not "new' car prices, thats where you'll find the depreciation.
I did ... a used honda 2000 model was about $2k more than the chrysler
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
I did ... a used honda 2000 model was about $2k more than the chrysler
According to KBB it's the T & C that's nearly $2K more expensive on the 2005 models which I assume is nearer to the OP's target year of manufacture.

See previous editted post!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:07 pm
Ray

According to KBB it's the T & C that's nearly $2K more expensive on the 2005 models which I assume is nearer to the OP's target year of manufacture.
See previous editted post!
There all nonsense prices ... and you know it .. our T&C we got this year was listed at $29k + tax, tag and title... we got it for $23K including tax, tag and title... although its harder to get a decent size drop on the Honda price..cos there are less available it seems
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

I bought a Pacifica over the weekend and collect it this afternoon. I will post my experiences with it over the next couple of days if needed. By all means ask if there are any questions. Back in the UK, I had a couple of Chrysler Grand Voyagers. Fantastic for carrying anything. Shite to drive. I am hoping that the Pacifica is a good blend of those two core features.

As for money, I paid $25789 for a 2006 Touring FWD with leather. Seems cheap to me.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
There all nonsense prices ... and you know it .. our T&C we got this year was listed at $29k + tax, tag and title... we got it for $23K including tax, tag and title... although its harder to get a decent size drop on the Honda price..cos there are less available it seems

I quoted the source of my nonsense!! I don't think the less chances of getting a decent drop in the Honda price is because there's less available, I'm more inclined to think it's because it is a better quality product and justifies the higher price.

Last edited by rushman; Nov 1st 2005 at 2:51 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:29 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your input(s). I went with a Chrysler Pacifica as I had a supplier discount through my employer and it won my heart & mind over the Town & Country.