Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Family Movie Nights and other blended family traditions...

Family Movie Nights and other blended family traditions...

Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:37 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Family Movie Nights and other blended family traditions...

We like to do a family movie night every so often. Popcorn, candy and a DVD. But it's getting increasingly difficult to find a movie that appeals to sulky 15 year old stepson, grumpy sports-watching hubby, Disney-Dreamworks 9 year old and me. Any suggestions?

I know a lot of posters here are now in blended families and I wondered if you had any other ideas for family traditions you could share, that helped the 'bonding' process.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:01 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Movie Nights and other blended family traditions...

Hi CB

I have 3 step children aged 12 (a girl), 14 (a boy), 16 (a girl) who all live with us and I have 2 of my own 21(a boy) and 23( a girl) although my daughter lives in the UK. When my son is home from college we play texas hold'em poker and it's great fun. We only play when he is home because we can never remember the rules of the game and he has to remind us!! When it's just the 2 younger ones we play different board games.

When it's all of us we agree to watch something that everyone can watch, sometimes hard to do and the older ones tend to leave. But everyone liked the new Batman, Lord of the Rings trilogy and the latest Star Wars Movie. Sometimes it's just the girls and me and we watch something like legally blonde and occasionally we get one that just the guys watch. I make popcorn and we sit and eat until we are full! It's hard to please everyone and to be quite honest it's not always worth us having a fight about it. As they get older they just want to be in their own teenage world! Hope you find something you can all enjoy.

Maggie

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
We like to do a family movie night every so often. Popcorn, candy and a DVD. But it's getting increasingly difficult to find a movie that appeals to sulky 15 year old stepson, grumpy sports-watching hubby, Disney-Dreamworks 9 year old and me. Any suggestions?

I know a lot of posters here are now in blended families and I wondered if you had any other ideas for family traditions you could share, that helped the 'bonding' process.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie Does Dallas? Certainly get everyone's attention *l*

Well for family flicks, can't go wrong with comedy shows really...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:19 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Something like Pirates of the Carribean? I'm sure its hard to please everyone all the time.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you take turns to choose a film? Maybe create a list of selection of films that members would like to see so there's a constant pool of films that are to be watched. Also, if one child chooses the film, the other gets to choose the flavor of popcorn or type of candy.

BTW- what the heck is a blended family? I was wondering if you were referring to a biracial family...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:48 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

BTW- what the heck is a blended family? I was wondering if you were referring to a biracial family...

NC Penguin
We often spend evenings as a family playing Russian Roulette with the Magimix, it's great........
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

divorced couples marrying...hence blending two families...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
divorced couples marrying...hence blending two families...
I think I like GruffBrown's explanation better. Must be fun living in his household...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Family Movie Nights and other blended family traditions...

It looks like the forthcoming "Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" is going to be a fabulous family film for adults, teens and even very young children according to this review:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773

I can't wait!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:37 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It looks like the forthcoming "Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" is going to be a fabulous family film for adults, teens and even very young children according to this review:

I can't wait!
It's nice to have one to look forward to. I can't wait either, which means we will probably go to the movies to see it. Thanks for the link.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I can't wait!
Thanks for the link - I just watched the preview clip. I'm also currently watching the BBC production (on sale at Sam's Club), and the two look very different.

Besides the obviously better special effects in the Hollywood version, it seemed a lot more "dramatic" - though that may just have been the booming soundtrack accompanying the clip. I wonder which version CS Lewis would have preferred?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:12 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Frankie

Millions

sisterhood of the travelling pants

Bad news bears

Are we there yet

Serenity

13 going on 30

Millions is a brilliant movie, we watched it this week, Dear Frankie is a great move too
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:28 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Can't go wrong with over 16 hours back to back Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Extended Versions....then peel yourself off the sofa Homer Simpson style and phone in work sick
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:15 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Patrick
Dear Frankie

Millions

sisterhood of the travelling pants

Bad news bears

Are we there yet

Serenity

13 going on 30

Millions is a brilliant movie, we watched it this week, Dear Frankie is a great move too
Thanks for the recommendations. Some of them would work. But PG-13 ratings are too high for my 9 year old.

Dear Frankie, PG-13
Millions, PG
Sisterhood, PG
Bad News Bears, PG-13
Are we there yet, PG
Serenity, PG-13
13 going on 30, PG-13
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:08 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

If your not a member already join Netflix, its excellent, I dont know what I did without it. Apart from keeping a movie as long as you want you make a queue of movies you want to see. When you return a movie they give you a bunch of suggestions of like movies - you may never have to think again!

Thanks for the recommendations. Some of them would work. But PG-13 ratings are too high for my 9 year old.

Dear Frankie, PG-13
Millions, PG
Sisterhood, PG
Bad News Bears, PG-13
Are we there yet, PG
Serenity, PG-13
13 going on 30, PG-13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.