British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   New Car Choice (Help & advice sought) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/new-car-choice-help-advice-sought-334781/)

HoosierDaddy Nov 1st 2005 10:33 am

New Car Choice (Help & advice sought)

Hello there. My family needs to upgrade our main vehicle (we just have a crappy 2001 Hyundai Elantra at the moment) and I've narrowed the field down to:

- Chrysler Pacifica
- Chrysler Town & Country
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Chevy Trailblazer / Ford "Exploder"

We have an eleven month old and may have another on the way. We want something with a decent amount of room, handles well in the Midwest winter but still gets decent gas mileage.

Any experiences/views?
Thanks muchly.

dbark Nov 1st 2005 11:34 am

Re: New Car Choice (Help & advice sought)

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Hello there. My family needs to upgrade our main vehicle (we just have a crappy 2001 Hyundai Elantra at the moment) and I've narrowed the field down to:

- Chrysler Pacifica
- Jeep Grand Cherokee

We have an eleven month old and may have another on the way. We want something with a decent amount of room, handles well in the Midwest winter but still gets decent gas mileage.

Any experiences/views?
Thanks muchly.

I drive a 2002 Explorer, and also looked at the Grand Cherokee before buying the Ford. I am very happy with it - handles very well, comfortable on long journeys, spacious inside. The only drawback is the gas mileage, which is around 18 in the city, 20 to 21 on long journeys. When I bought it, gas prices were not so high, but I believe the Grand Cherokee's gas mileage was similar. I have a 2WD version but for much winter driving I would go for the 4WD, although I believe that worsens the gas mileage a little.

TN-Dave Nov 1st 2005 11:40 am

- Chrysler Pacifica
- Jeep Grand Cherokee

Any experiences/views?
Thanks muchly.

We used to own the Dodge Grand Caravan, and now have a Jeep Grand Cherokee instead. The caravan was great for room and for gas milage - I drove it through snow in the winter without too much problem as it's front wheel drive. The jeep is big inside as well, and handles great in the winter, just gets less miles for your dollar. If you need 4WD, I'd suggest the jeep, otherwise sgo for the minivan, as you can never have tooooo much room.

dunroving Nov 1st 2005 12:12 pm

- Chrysler Pacifica
- Jeep Grand Cherokee

Any experiences/views?
Thanks muchly.

With the future of gas prices being the way it looks, I think you have to be crazy to buy anything that does less than 20 mpg.

BritGuyTN Nov 1st 2005 12:48 pm

get the 4x4 Chrysler Pacifica

won't handle too much like a boat

its not a minivan

i think residuals are also OK

milage has got to be better than a SUV

safest 'SUV' on the market I think

mandpete Nov 1st 2005 12:49 pm

We have a 2002 Grand Cherokee and the only ongoing problem we have had with it is the A/C and heating. It has been back to the garage several times and they have never managed to fix it properly, in fact it's going back in again next week. We had a problem with the brakes juddering and banging after 12 months.

My husband was stopped in traffic in the Jeep and someone rammed into the back of him. The other car was very badly damaged (front was completely crumpled according to hubby) but the Jeep didn't appear to have one dent or scratch on it. Hubby took it in to the garage to be checked and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

We will be getting a new car in February and because of the lack of legroom in the back (our 14yr old son is over 6' tall) we have decided not to get another Jeep. The Jeep also doesn't have 3 full seat belts in the back, the middle one is a lap belt.

We have been thinking about getting a Ford Freestyle but haven't really started looking properly yet.

HoosierDaddy Nov 1st 2005 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
get the 4x4 Chrysler Pacifica

won't handle too much like a boat

its not a minivan

i think residuals are also OK

milage has got to be better than a SUV

safest 'SUV' on the market I think

Thanks for that - The Pacifica is the only one I've driven at length. Rented one earlier in the year for 8 days and I liked it a lot.

HoosierDaddy Nov 1st 2005 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
With the future of gas prices being the way it looks, I think you have to be crazy to buy anything that does less than 20 mpg.

True - but I need space.

Rushman Nov 1st 2005 1:11 pm

If you do opt for a minivan for gods sake dont get a Town & Country or any other Chrysler minivan.....they depreciate by the hour. Everybodys got one and they're built like crap. Also avoid the Ford and GM minivans, they're just junk and the build quality is laughable.

If you decide on a minivan the Honda Odyssey is THE ONLY way to go. Better than the Toyota Sienna and the Nissan Quest. 255 horsepower with the excellent Honda V-tec V6, seats 8 passengers and rides like a car. A wee bit more expensive initially (but as you're considering a Pacifica that shouldn't be a problem) but ultra reliable. I personally hate minivans, trucks and SUV's but I got Mrs. Rush an Odyssey and even I was impressed.

This is of course, if you decide on a minivan.

TN-Dave Nov 1st 2005 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
If you do opt for a minivan for gods sake dont get a Town & Country or any other Chrysler minivan.....they depreciate by the hour. Everybodys got one and they're built like crap. Also avoid the Ford and GM minivans, they're just junk and the build quality is laughable.

If you decide on a minivan the Honda Odyssey is THE ONLY way to go. Better than the Toyota Sienna and the Nissan Quest..

Although if you're going to look at from the 'Merikan point of view - the Toyota is the way to go as it seats 7 and has 16 cup holders !!!!!!!!!!!!

BritGuyTN Nov 1st 2005 1:14 pm

If you decide on a minivan the Honda Odyssey is THE ONLY way to go. Better than the Toyota Sienna and the Nissan Quest. 255 horsepower with the excellent Honda V-tec V6, seats 8 passengers and rides like a car. A wee bit more expensive initially (but as you're considering a Pacifica that shouldn't be a problem) but ultra reliable. I personally hate minivans, trucks and SUV's but I got Mrs. Rush an Odyssey and even I was impressed.

This is of course, if you decide on a minivan.

yup - if a minivan is where you want to be, then the odessey is the best choice

i personally prefer the car feel and looks (pumped up station wagon) of a pacifica more than a minivan or suv

Rushman Nov 1st 2005 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by dbark
I have a 2WD version but for much winter driving I would go for the 4WD, although I believe that worsens the gas mileage a little.

Most people up here in the NE still only use 2WD on the highway but use the 4X4 for when stuck in deep snow or going somewhere off road, like an unplowed driveway or back road.

Ray Nov 1st 2005 1:17 pm

The wife is on her second T&C neither has ever missed a beat...or been any
trouble whatsoever ...

TN-Dave Nov 1st 2005 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
trouble whatsoever ...

I'm with Ray - we had the Dodge version and my wife got T-Boned in a accident. She managed to walk away from the accident (although she still has back problems), after someone parked a Durango in the driver's door.

Although they have had a number of recalls for various things.

Rushman Nov 1st 2005 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
trouble whatsoever ...

Just aint worth near as much money as a Honda of the same year, spec and condition.