Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need your support and some thoughts

Need your support and some thoughts

Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:05 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need your support and some thoughts

Originally Posted by Tracym
I'd agree with a lot of that.

The only exception is - I know that the UK is big on cognitive behavioural therapy (it's the majority of the therapy there I believe). Personally that is not the methodology I most impressed with. I myself would look for a psychologist who practiced an insight oriented therapy rather than behavioural.

If the OP feels so bad and the current stuff isn't working then she should go to an expert to get what is right for her. yes cognitive behavioural therapy isn't right for all, mostly used for long term can't pin it quite down type.

#I am aware for any professionals reading this that CBT does cover quite a varied amount of things.

It was just meant for the OP that if one thing doesn't work for you there are plenty of other things that will, IF that is the problem.

I don't know the OP situation maybe a expat friend will help or an understanding one, maybe more trips home instead of all this.

Personally when I have felt 'unsettled' going home I know is the worst thing for me. Going back really unsettles me and takes me a while to get back into the swing of things here.

Nothing to do with homesickness (ie I don't want to stay there really etc.) I know my life is here and I am happy here, I can't quite describe it..feeling an outsider, not part of things, unsettled is the only way I can describe it which makes me a bit depressed while there as it is my original 'home' and I am happy to see people obviously, I hate all the different emotions I feel.

I know many people disagree with me and sometimes you don't know until you are back in the UK but going back isn't always right for some people when they are homesick albeit a minority.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:19 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Yes, you are right. Cognitive behavioural therapy (IMO) can be great for situational depression, but it cannot be used for all types. That's just like saying to someone "You are depressed because of your behaviour". I did not go to the meetings that my PDoc wanted me to go to, I thought no way, I would rather have counselling. In the end, I pulled myself through it.
When it is called for it is very helpful and I so can understand why you might think that but it isn't saying that, honest If you saw the material it is far more.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
When it is called for it is very helpful and I so can understand why you might think that but it isn't saying that, honest If you saw the material it is far more.
I can imagine it is, but the way they term it puts people off.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That's pretty much how I feel. On the whole I manage to 'keep happy' because I go back home at least twice a year, and I know that it's not forever.

Being married to 'one of them' is of course different, because it could indeed turn out forever. One thing I would advise to the OP is not to have children until she is sure that she would be happy staying here until they are grown up. I have read too many stories of women being trapped in a place that makes them unhappy, without any hope of being able to return while the children are under age.
I totally agree with you about the children aspect of it. Some people may tell you to have a child and it will make you feel better but don't do it. Make sure you want to be here. Having children just makes it worse especially if you are not happy. Once you have children for most women there is no going back. Not till they are grown up.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

I am a great fan of CBT but in your case it isn't right, you haven't got a behavour issue, you are in a situation...blow off you GP I agree with the other poster that you are suffering anxiety find somebody who will prescribe the right drugs but more inportantly will find someone to support you
Good luck, thinking of you
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Kida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud of

Thank you all so much!
Not for the first time BE comes through and helps

I feel a bit better today, went out and rollerbladed, skyped my mom,
and still taking SJW.

I'm really greatefull to all who wrote here.