Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Lisa Edgar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

I am aware of the process involved (application form RN, cost for applications made from within the UK, etc.) however I have been unable to contact the British Consulate of Orlando regarding costs and the process for applications outside of the UK, specifically in the US.

The UKBA website says that for applications made outside of the UK, they should be sent via your nearest consulate. The website also says to contact them before sending your application to see if there are any additional fees for using their service, or perhaps having the documentation returned to me (?). My nearest consulate is in Orlando however there appears to be no way to speak to an actual person there regarding this matter.

All of the options on their automated phone system directs the caller to visit their website, however this information is not contained in the USA consular fees document.

Given these circumstances, I am sort of at a loss for where to turn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:05 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

why do you need to do that? seems very extreme and i cant think of the top of my head why you would need to?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:16 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=Renounce

Try this
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

There are very few genuine situations where you would need to renounce your UK citizenship. Let us know your situation and we might be able to help.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few threads on this.

Only need to do it for security clearance reasons, but even then...
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:39 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Someone was telling me that my husband, a dual Irish/UK citizen from Northern Ireland, could bring me into the UK if he renounced either his Irish citizenship (so we could use Surinder Singh from Ireland) or his UK citizenship (so he could move me in as the wife of an EEA citizen). The monumental absurdity of immigrating to and settling, for any length of time or for any purpose, in a country to which he had renounced citizenship was not lost on us and we pronounced the whole idea silly.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

Originally Posted by Lisa Edgar
I am aware of the process involved (application form RN, cost for applications made from within the UK, etc.) however I have been unable to contact the British Consulate of Orlando regarding costs and the process for applications outside of the UK, specifically in the US.

The UKBA website says that for applications made outside of the UK, they should be sent via your nearest consulate. The website also says to contact them before sending your application to see if there are any additional fees for using their service, or perhaps having the documentation returned to me (?). My nearest consulate is in Orlando however there appears to be no way to speak to an actual person there regarding this matter.

All of the options on their automated phone system directs the caller to visit their website, however this information is not contained in the USA consular fees document.

Given these circumstances, I am sort of at a loss for where to turn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Lisa,

This service is no longer available via the British Consulate in Orlando. Follow the instructions on this website and make you application through the UK Visa & Immigration Service (formerly UKBA).

I hope this helps.

Dean
Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As Dean has mentioned you will need to apply to the Home Office in Liverpool. However as others have mentioned there are very few circumstances in which renouncing your British citizenship outweighs the benefits of keeping it. Why do you want to? The chances are you don't need to.