British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-information-regarding-renouncing-ones-uk-citizenship-815402/)

Lisa Edgar Nov 17th 2013 6:56 pm

Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

I am aware of the process involved (application form RN, cost for applications made from within the UK, etc.) however I have been unable to contact the British Consulate of Orlando regarding costs and the process for applications outside of the UK, specifically in the US.

The UKBA website says that for applications made outside of the UK, they should be sent via your nearest consulate. The website also says to contact them before sending your application to see if there are any additional fees for using their service, or perhaps having the documentation returned to me (?). My nearest consulate is in Orlando however there appears to be no way to speak to an actual person there regarding this matter.

All of the options on their automated phone system directs the caller to visit their website, however this information is not contained in the USA consular fees document.

Given these circumstances, I am sort of at a loss for where to turn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MsElui Nov 17th 2013 7:05 pm

Re: Need information regarding renouncing one's UK citizenship

why do you need to do that? seems very extreme and i cant think of the top of my head why you would need to?

Mr Weeze Nov 17th 2013 7:16 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=Renounce

Try this

sir_eccles Nov 17th 2013 7:16 pm

There are very few genuine situations where you would need to renounce your UK citizenship. Let us know your situation and we might be able to help.

Bob Nov 17th 2013 11:29 pm

There's a few threads on this.

Only need to do it for security clearance reasons, but even then...

Speedwell Nov 18th 2013 12:39 am

Someone was telling me that my husband, a dual Irish/UK citizen from Northern Ireland, could bring me into the UK if he renounced either his Irish citizenship (so we could use Surinder Singh from Ireland) or his UK citizenship (so he could move me in as the wife of an EEA citizen). The monumental absurdity of immigrating to and settling, for any length of time or for any purpose, in a country to which he had renounced citizenship was not lost on us and we pronounced the whole idea silly.

British Consul Nov 18th 2013 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Lisa Edgar (Post 10995316)
I am aware of the process involved (application form RN, cost for applications made from within the UK, etc.) however I have been unable to contact the British Consulate of Orlando regarding costs and the process for applications outside of the UK, specifically in the US.

The UKBA website says that for applications made outside of the UK, they should be sent via your nearest consulate. The website also says to contact them before sending your application to see if there are any additional fees for using their service, or perhaps having the documentation returned to me (?). My nearest consulate is in Orlando however there appears to be no way to speak to an actual person there regarding this matter.

All of the options on their automated phone system directs the caller to visit their website, however this information is not contained in the USA consular fees document.

Given these circumstances, I am sort of at a loss for where to turn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lisa,

This service is no longer available via the British Consulate in Orlando. Follow the instructions on this website and make you application through the UK Visa & Immigration Service (formerly UKBA).

I hope this helps.

Dean

BritInParis Nov 24th 2013 3:44 pm

As Dean has mentioned you will need to apply to the Home Office in Liverpool. However as others have mentioned there are very few circumstances in which renouncing your British citizenship outweighs the benefits of keeping it. Why do you want to? The chances are you don't need to.