Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA from the UK

Wikiposts

Moving to the USA from the UK

Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

Originally Posted by Ieuan
That was very refreshing to read mate.

When i first posted everyone assumed "No Chance". Its good to hear someone, who was in my position can happily put their middle finger up and smile to those who call it "naive"

I will do...I think i will participate in the Work America Scheme, or the holiday to get a taste.

Then on-to college. Perhaps Animal Care, could be useful in my Uncles line of work with the zoo etc. Perhaps I can excel in that area...I own Reptiles, and Qualified Reptile Vets are very few and far between! Especially here in South Wales.

I'm Still looking for paths but the one above sounds good at the moment, and is relevant to my best option (The Zoo).

But its great to hear you made it out of the dump that can be Wales
I don't think people here were trying to "put up their middle finger" to you. I've only been reading this forum for a week or so and I get the sense that there are a lot of people whose first post on here is that they want to come and live here because they visited Disney or the theme parks at Orlando and love the sunny weather etc., They don't really see a broader view of the United States just some Utopian view.
Just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There is still a lot about Wales that I remember fondly. Times change but I have wonderful memories of the people I grew up amongst. Had I not met someone wonderful here then I would likely have given up traveling before too much longer. Even as a single person living in hotel rooms and a stressful schedule can take its toll after a few years. I had already bought a house in Wales and was eventually planning to look for something around "home" as it was to me then.
As far as reptiles, we have a bunch of alligators and snakes around here but I don't care to bring any home as pets.. Might be a little cold for reptiles up there in Yellowstone from what I remember last time I visited. When people's reptiles get sick or too big in Florida they seem to jettison them in the Everglades rather than pay a vet... Equine vet is pretty good in North Florida, some big money in looking after thoroughbred racehorses. We have a pretty good vet school at the Univ of Florida but it's very hard to enter as a student. Good luck to you.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I fear you have misunderstood many of the posts, no one said 'no chance', no chance in the short run perhaps, but not the long run.

If I can remind you of your earlier quote.....

this is true, and the same is true for the reverse, you do not know America, if it is not naive, it is ignorant, and there is no shame in ignorance, you are working towards gaining information and knowledge.

Welshgator outlined a long path that he took to end up in America.

Any of the questions or points that we asked, you would be wise to attempt to answer or consider to yourself. Good luck whichever path you decide to pursue.
Quite a few people said "In your position no" or "Game over" and such...Until finally someone said, "Yes, but if you do this, then you can do this" and so forth (cant remember exact words or names) and that's where the help has come from.

Look its completely irrelevant now, as the information I was after iv received thanks to 3-4 decent guys and gals.

Its not only given me a 'Path to the US' but a general life plan...Id never even considered animal care previously, but there colleges close by I can attend, and it carries the added bonus of working towards meeting the criteria my Uncles boss's will want from me (The animal care qualifications) and getting me that much closer to having the opportunity to live/work in the US.

Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Welshgator
I don't think people here were trying to "put up their middle finger" to you. I've only been reading this forum for a week or so and I get the sense that there are a lot of people whose first post on here is that they want to come and live here because they visited Disney or the theme parks at Orlando and love the sunny weather etc., They don't really see a broader view of the United States just some Utopian view.
Just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There is still a lot about Wales that I remember fondly. Times change but I have wonderful memories of the people I grew up amongst. Had I not met someone wonderful here then I would likely have given up traveling before too much longer. Even as a single person living in hotel rooms and a stressful schedule can take its toll after a few years. I had already bought a house in Wales and was eventually planning to look for something around "home" as it was to me then.
As far as reptiles, we have a bunch of alligators and snakes around here but I don't care to bring any home as pets.. Might be a little cold for reptiles up there in Yellowstone from what I remember last time I visited. When people's reptiles get sick or too big in Florida they seem to jettison them in the Everglades rather than pay a vet... Equine vet is pretty good in North Florida, some big money in looking after thoroughbred racehorses. We have a pretty good vet school at the Univ of Florida but it's very hard to enter as a student. Good luck to you.
Well they certainly come across that way in the beginning very briefly.

And Im actually after a Dwarf Caimen now ...They are exactly the same as the alligators only they grow to about 3ft-4ft depending on sex ..Currently have 2 Turtles and 1 Chinese Water Dragon and 1 Bearded Dragon!

Yes it can get real cold! Im hoping they have an indoor reptile centre, il have to ask him...I know the Wolves their are a big hit!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

And why not America? It looks amazing to me. The majority of people look like decent approachable people, the cities are beautifull and the culture is second to none.

In my opinion Britain is a broken nation on the brink of collapse. There is nothing here that appeals to me at all. Its a dead beat, one way road on a crappy existence, working until your dead life (Thats if you can find work).
This seems to be a common view in Britain. I think it is a product of the media myself. A very odd psychological state for a country to be in (it's quite wrong).
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:58 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few people said "In your position no" or "Game over" and such...Until finally someone said, "Yes, but if you do this, then you can do this" and so forth (cant remember exact words or names) and that's where the help has come from.
Post 2 sent you off to the information that matters, if you pass that then good, if not then no, we assume you know you can work towards changing that.

No one here is your enemy.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
This seems to be a common view in Britain. I think it is a product of the media myself. A very odd psychological state for a country to be in (it's quite wrong).
Yeah my thoughts exactly mate.

BBC Wales news headline: "A further 150 jobs are at risk at plant in..." aswell as "Energy bills are increasing once again after doubling in the past 5 years"

Its quite depressing lol

I guess people are hoping for a change via relocating...It may not be the case, but a glimmer of hope is better than no hope!

Last edited by Ieuan; Feb 19th 2013 at 9:04 am.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Post 2 sent you off to the information that matters, if you pass that then good, if not then no, we assume you know you can work towards changing that.

No one here is your enemy.
Yeah that's what Im working at now mate.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my thoughts exactly mate.

BBC Wales news headline: "A further 150 jobs are at risk at plant in..." aswell as "Energy bills are increase once again after doubling in the past 5 years"

Its quite depressing lol
Please get back to me in a few years when you're over here.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

As iv said id like to move to the US and perhaps work with my family at the zoo, in comparison to that thought, with the nice weather, good job, new location, new people, it makes 'my' version of the UK seem bleak, regardless of others opinion and situation.
I drove through Yellowstone on the way to Seattle on my honeymoon. It was the end of May.
Yellowstone had only opened 2 days earlier with all the snow in the winter. You might consider the possibility of being out of work all winter. We lived in Seattle for over a year, it made Wales seem like an arid desert as it constantly drizzled for several months at a time. It depressed my new wife who mostly lived in Florida (+ my working 70 hours a week with few 5 days leave in the first year). My local manager who hired me was canned the first week I was there and I had to deal with some ahole from California over the phone as my boss, who promptly tried to renege on things that had been agreed to on my transfer. It isn't always smelling of English roses or even Welsh daffodils I'm afraid, I think people are subtly trying to point that out to you. But it can also be real good so hang on to your dreams, things have a way of working out if you work at it.

Don't get me wrong about Seattle though or I'll get chit from the North westerners on here. The Pacific North West is as pretty as any part of the country I've visited especially when the weather is nice and the skies are clear. Beautiful mountains,lakes and forests - fond memories of windsurfing the cold waters of Lake Washington and skiing Snohomish.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

The only Months of the Year that I am not required to carry Snow-Chains on my vehicle, through Yellowstone, are June, July and August.

I suggest you look up whatever Cities you dream of moving to on;

http://www.weather.com

This is just another "Reality Check"
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welshgator
I drove through Yellowstone on the way to Seattle on my honeymoon. It was the end of May.
Yellowstone had only opened 2 days earlier with all the snow in the winter. You might consider the possibility of being out of work all winter. We lived in Seattle for over a year, it made Wales seem like an arid desert as it constantly drizzled for several months at a time. It depressed my new wife who mostly lived in Florida (+ my working 70 hours a week with few 5 days leave in the first year). My local manager who hired me was canned the first week I was there and I had to deal with some ahole from California over the phone as my boss, who promptly tried to renege on things that had been agreed to on my transfer. It isn't always smelling of English roses or even Welsh daffodils I'm afraid, I think people are subtly trying to point that out to you. But it can also be real good so hang on to your dreams, things have a way of working out if you work at it.

Don't get me wrong about Seattle though or I'll get chit from the North westerners on here. The Pacific North West is as pretty as any part of the country I've visited especially when the weather is nice and the skies are clear. Beautiful mountains,lakes and forests - fond memories of windsurfing the cold waters of Lake Washington and skiing Snohomish.
Better not smell of English roses aha..

Yeah the winter months could be a problem, but i suppose the animals dont go on holiday during so their going to need care etc.

Il give my uncle a ring soon and discuss it properly with him to find out what he thinks about it...Its a LONG way off yet, but preperation is everything.

And it is a beautiful place in general!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:15 am
Just Joined

pennieanddarryl is an unknown quantity at this point

guys give the poor boy a chance .... ieuan i think what they are trying to say in a nutshell is have a look at all the facts and visit first before setting your heart on anything. Everyone needs a goal and i admire your positive outlook, after being a ping pong living in uk and usa for many years moving out here twice i can honestly say everywhere has its ups and downs. I travel back to UK every month and can honestly say I love my lifestyle although expensive in the USA. We did it the hard way bringing our own company out in a recession but it worked. My children play in the street until the street lights come on and We have bears, turkeys eagles and we hand feed the deer in our garden.... I know for a fact my friends who have children in the UK can only dream of this. Rate of crime where i live is one of the lowest in the country. I'm a serving police officer and so i see all the bad bits and trust me i would NEVER bring my children up in the UK. For those of you who are thinking of moving back just follow your own advise and make sure your not looking at it with rose tinted glasses. #justsaying
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The only Months of the Year that I am not required to carry Snow-Chains on my vehicle, through Yellowstone, are June, July and August.

I suggest you look up whatever Cities you dream of moving to on;

http://www.weather.com

This is just another "Reality Check"
Ok...The weather really isn't important.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

It's not just if your uncle wants you to work there though, he needs to show that no american can do that job, he has to advertise the job, etc, and pay for the visa. It seems a bit unlikely maybe, plus it's never good to have to rely on someone. If I was you I would look into studying something more technical. Research, think, research some more, think some more, repeat... before you make up your mind what to study or what else to do! The summer thing seems nice though. And holiday of course. You never know, you might meet a rich american girl who will pay for you to study over here! (I know, I was always a dreamer...)
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Well they certainly come across that way in the beginning very briefly.
Don't take it as personal, I think people are rightly pointing out that it is not an easy ride to gain residence here. There are criteria and they're pointing you to the cold, hard facts.

As far as depression, there are areas in the NE USA that were hit as badly as Wales and Yorkshire, for example, in the 1980s - loss of steel plants, coal mines and auto industry. People losing their homes all over the country, kids coming out of college with huge loans and no jobs to go to, even just in the teaching profession as another example. I think some of the older forum members here don't wish to gild the lily for you if that's the right expression. Things may not seem rosy for you in the UK but you need to make your goals and work hard to attain them one step at a time. I'm a firm believer in good things happening if you work hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.