Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA from the UK

Wikiposts

Moving to the USA from the UK

Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't mean to be patronising, and I hope you don't take it that way, but just to let you see the other side of the coin; my son has moved to the UK from the US to attend University there and cited very similar reasons to you for wanting to do so.

As everyone else has mentioned have a plan and work towards it and your dream will hopefully become a reality. Many people I know who have moved to the US had to plan and work for it for quite a while, but they felt it was worth it. Just as my son feels its worth it being back in the UK. Each to their own. But no matter where life takes you I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Also, I don't know if you've considered it but as you've not yet been to the US you might be interested in Work America. I know someone your age who recently did something similar and they had a blast

http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-america

http://www.campamerica.co.uk
No your being very polite and helpfull thanks

And yes the work experience looks like a brilliant idea if im honest.

I could go on holiday, but its not a real experience being in a hotel surrounded by tourists, not as real as work anyways.

Thank you for the link, could well end up doing this.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Just to be clear...the company your uncle works for must apply and pay for a work visa for you.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:21 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ieuan
I could go on holiday, but its not a real experience being in a hotel surrounded by tourists, not as real as work anyways.
Don't knock a holiday, absolutely no need to be anywhere near another tourist, but it will give you the opportunity to cover a lot of ground and see a few of the many facets of America. It might end up that your dream is New York, or Portland and not so much 'America'. Probably cost a few bob though, but I would view it as an investment.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Agreed. If you want to go to say New York City, you don't just go to tourist traps, you go to where the locals go... markets, shops, restaurants, bars, neighborhoods, parks, etc. Do your research online and/or buy a guide book that doesn't just tell you about the normal tourist sightseeing.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Don't knock a holiday, absolutely no need to be anywhere near another tourist, but it will give you the opportunity to cover a lot of ground and see a few of the many facets of America. It might end up that your dream is New York, or Portland and not so much 'America'. Probably cost a few bob though, but I would view it as an investment.
Yes I suppose your right.

But I dont want to be spending ££££'s on a holiday for the experience that only last two weeks or so. I rather spend thousands more on a more lengthy stay and achieve and experience more to help finalise decisions and thoughts on trying to make a permanent move...But I am now debating a holiday, can you go for longer than two weeks without having to dish out extra for a visa if that makes sense?

I know people go on holiday for months sometimes, would I be able to do that or is that a visa situation that i wouldnt be granted?

Also very keen on the link Sue provided, about Work America, that seems like a very good 'Taster'.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:32 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I suppose your right.

But I dont want to be spending ££££'s on a holiday for the experience that only last two weeks or so...But I am now debating a holiday, can you go for longer than two weeks without having to dish out extra for a visa if that makes sense?

I know people go on holiday for months sometimes, would I be able to do that or is that a visa situation that i wouldnt be granted?

Also very keen on the link Sue provided, about Work America, that seems like a very good 'Taster'.
90 days on the visa waiver with ESTA
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Just to be clear...the company your uncle works for must apply and pay for a work visa for you.
Doesn't the company have to justify why they are offering the job outside the US? Also, don't they have to advertise the position and show they couldn't find anybody qualified in the US already? Just asking as I don't really know the ins and outs of this.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Ok thanks guys for all the help from everyone with positive posts

My knowledge as tripled in-size and I know have a rough understanding of the direction I should be heading in, and the steps I should take before committing my self to following a life in the US.

I think I will probably try the 'Work America' if possible, if not il hopefully take a look into the 90 days Visa with ESTA with friends perhaps.

Then if i thoroughly enjoy it and commit Il take a look into various course of subject that are in-demand AND that I enjoy!

Il probably write my-self up a plan and get back to you with a new thread in a couple days/weeks when I have a bit more information/direction to bring to the table.

Thanks again guys!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator
Doesn't the company have to justify why they are offering the job outside the US? Also, don't they have to advertise the position and show they couldn't find anybody qualified in the US already? Just asking as I don't really know the ins and outs of this.
Depends on the visa.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Ieuan, I am from Llanelli. I have been in the United States over 20 years. My son is almost your age, it can be a tough age finding out who you are and where you want to go. I am not going to discourage you, it is great to have an ambition or a dream but you have to play your part to make it happen. Having a degree will be a big help, if not, then you really need to develop a skill and skill set that will make you valuable to an employer. Not just here in the US but anywhere these days, your competition for work in the US is global and not just restricted to American residents or citizens.
It is very easy in the UK to get into a rut, I know I lived and worked in the UK for much longer than your lifetime too. It is all to easy to be stuck in the mode of going down the pub with your mates and repeating the cycle week in and out, spending all your money with little to show for it. Many people I knew were content to do just that, no ambition even to wander outside of their own locale. I had to travel a long way to work in England, was tired coming home, had dinner went out for a couple of pints then rinse and repeat every day. After a few years, I did enjoy my work BTW, I knew I couldn't go on the same way. I took a job travelling and installing specialized equipment for a company with worldwide ties. I didn't really know what the job entailed at first but I learned quickly and ended up travelling to different countries for three or four months at a time. Spent a lot of time in China and most of (communist) Europe. I did a series of installs in the US and came with no intent to stay. I ended up getting married and raising a family and have thoroughly enjoyed life here with no regrets.
Despite being highly specialized in my field I never did finish my degree and it will remain my greatest regret - one of many as I pass through life. I was in college in England but circumstances dictated I find a job before I started my final year. I do, however, possess a skill set that makes me valuable but let me tell you the path would have been a lot easier with that one piece of paper. Life is way too competitive these days to rely on good fortune alone. The upshot is, if this lad from Wales did it then there is also a chance for you. Get an education, develop a skill set preferably in something you like to do, find an employer who will share in your enthusiasm and train you to become successful. If they have ties in the US great, if not, and it is still your dream build on your success and find a company with US connections. I know it sounds easier said than done. It takes time but it gives you something to motivate and save your pennies for. Go to college if you are able. If you have to work and are not in a situation yet to go to college then look for ways to improve and learn - local community college at night or Open University. Even if you do not get a degree from the Open University the fact that you show willing to learn and continue education will only sit well with prospective employers. Wish you luck butty boy....
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Ok thanks guys for all the help from everyone with positive posts

I think I will probably try the 'Work America' if possible, if not il hopefully take a look into the 90 days Visa with ESTA with friends perhaps.

Then if i thoroughly enjoy it and commit Il take a look into various course of subject that are in-demand AND that I enjoy!

Il probably write my-self up a plan and get back to you with a new thread in a couple days/weeks when I have a bit more information/direction to bring to the table.

Thanks again guys!
My niece from Swansea did the Challenger soccer camp program in North Carolina with a friend from Neath. They had a thoroughly good time and vacationed for a few weeks after. They are coming back this summer.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welshgator
Ieuan, I am from Llanelli. I have been in the United States over 20 years. My son is almost your age, it can be a tough age finding out who you are and where you want to go. I am not going to discourage you, it is great to have an ambition or a dream but you have to play your part to make it happen. Having a degree will be a big help, if not, then you really need to develop a skill and skill set that will make you valuable to an employer. Not just here in the US but anywhere these days, your competition for work in the US is global and not just restricted to American residents or citizens.
It is very easy in the UK to get into a rut, I know I lived and worked in the UK for much longer than your lifetime too. It is all to easy to be stuck in the mode of going down the pub with your mates and repeating the cycle week in and out, spending all your money with little to show for it. Many people I knew were content to do just that, no ambition even to wander outside of their own locale. I had to travel a long way to work in England, was tired coming home, had dinner went out for a couple of pints then rinse and repeat every day. After a few years, I did enjoy my work BTW, I knew I couldn't go on the same way. I took a job travelling and installing specialized equipment for a company with worldwide ties. I didn't really know what the job entailed at first but I learned quickly and ended up travelling to different countries for three or four months at a time. Spent a lot of time in China and most of (communist) Europe. I did a series of installs in the US and came with no intent to stay. I ended up getting married and raising a family and have thoroughly enjoyed life here with no regrets.
Despite being highly specialized in my field I never did finish my degree and it will remain my greatest regret - one of many as I pass through life. I was in college in England but circumstances dictated I find a job before I started my final year. I do, however, possess a skill set that makes me valuable but let me tell you the path would have been a lot easier with that one piece of paper. Life is way too competitive these days to rely on good fortune alone. The upshot is, if this lad from Wales did it then there is also a chance for you. Get an education, develop a skill set preferably in something you like to do, find an employer who will share in your enthusiasm and train you to become successful. If they have ties in the US great, if not, and it is still your dream build on your success and find a company with US connections. I know it sounds easier said than done. It takes time but it gives you something to motivate and save your pennies for. Go to college if you are able. If you have to work and are not in a situation yet to go to college then look for ways to improve and learn - local community college at night or Open University. Even if you do not get a degree from the Open University the fact that you show willing to learn and continue education will only sit well with prospective employers. Wish you luck butty boy....
That was very refreshing to read mate.

When i first posted everyone assumed "No Chance". Its good to hear someone, who was in my position can happily put their middle finger up and smile to those who call it "naive"

I will do...I think i will participate in the Work America Scheme, or the holiday to get a taste.

Then on-to college. Perhaps Animal Care, could be useful in my Uncles line of work with the zoo etc. Perhaps I can excel in that area...I own Reptiles, and Qualified Reptile Vets are very few and far between! Especially here in South Wales.

I'm Still looking for paths but the one above sounds good at the moment, and is relevant to my best option (The Zoo).

But its great to hear you made it out of the dump that can be Wales
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:58 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ieuan, you continue to miss the point that it is not your desire to move to the US that is raising hackles, but your continued trashing of the UK in comparison to a place of which you have an idealized conception. I hope that you attain your dream and it is all that you hope it will be, but lay off the UK a little.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:10 am
He/him

When i first posted everyone assumed "No Chance".
I fear you have misunderstood many of the posts, no one said 'no chance', no chance in the short run perhaps, but not the long run.

put their middle finger up and smile to those who call it "naive"
If I can remind you of your earlier quote.....
Have you ever visited the UK for more than a 2 week holiday? It would take time for you to realise what i mean when I say its a dead beat country.
this is true, and the same is true for the reverse, you do not know America, if it is not naive, it is ignorant, and there is no shame in ignorance, you are working towards gaining information and knowledge.

Welshgator outlined a long path that he took to end up in America.

Any of the questions or points that we asked, you would be wise to attempt to answer or consider to yourself. Good luck whichever path you decide to pursue.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Ieuan, you continue to miss the point that it is not your desire to move to the US that is raising hackles, but your continued trashing of the UK in comparison to a place of which you have an idealized conception. I hope that you attain your dream and it is all that you hope it will be, but lay off the UK a little.
I say what I know about the UK...That's my right having lived and been raised here, as Iv said, Iv worked in Wales and England (Hereford, London, Birmingham) and I consider it dead for my self...There are no real opportunities for me that are appealing..

As iv said id like to move to the US and perhaps work with my family at the zoo, in comparison to that thought, with the nice weather, good job, new location, new people, it makes 'my' version of the UK seem bleak, regardless of others opinion and situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.