Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from the UK

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from the UK

Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Houston from the UK

[QUOTE=Sugarmooma;6659414]
Originally Posted by sportaxi

I'm not trying to put you off.......

Fort Bend County is a fairly large county and does have some relatively crime free areas. First Colony is probably one of those areas. It probably has all you need in very close proximity of where you will live.

School statistics change regulary........so what you are told by the realtor may or may not be true (but their job is to sell you a house!).

Do you really think buying a house straight away is a good idea or am I confused and you are just renting?

As for traffic.........either way can be chaotic, especially if there are roadworks or a minor wreck

BTW............are your kids High School age? Did you know Manvel have just built a new High School.

Good luck
I've always found Sugarland to be a great area...Would agree that you should rent for six month when you arrive, that way you can get a feel for the area, etc
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jmaster911;6659450]
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I've always found Sugarland to be a great area...Would agree that you should rent for six month when you arrive, that way you can get a feel for the area, etc

Anywhere can be great when you are just visiting.....you find all the "skeletons" later

Renting is the best bet to start with for sure.

Like I said, if living in a built up area is what you want then Sugarland should meet all your needs.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

sportaxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jmaster911

I know renting first is the sensible advice, just need to keep family in check instead of buying own house (too early)

The kids in UK will be in year 7 and 5, not 100% in what that equates to yet in the US. Just need to sell house here first, as renting sadly is not an option (no family close enough to tender property and renting charge too high)

and no living in a built up area is not my idea location, I would like near complete isolation, however OH prefers some life near by....
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

woolies is an unknown quantity at this point

We've lived in Katy close to Cinco Ranch since February and are very happy so far. The housing is very affordable and I feel safe going out and about with the kids in the neighborhood. This site is good for comparing schools, homes, property taxes etc. http://www.har.com/school/
I just enrolled my oldest in Kindergarten with no problems.

Good Luck with your move!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Have you moved yet Sportaxi?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Mandana,

No currently things are on hold (hopefully not to long!) immigration need a few more items of information for my visa. Hopefully the newly submitted info will appease them and then we can once again get back onto planning the move (that is if some one buys our house).

Not really a good time - housing market crashes and $-£ rate drops. maybe someone is telling us something!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to sell? Are you coming here permanently? We let ours out and [touch wood] have had no problems with it.

Sorry to hear you're having immigration difficulties
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Mandana,

No currently things are on hold (hopefully not to long!) immigration need a few more items of information for my visa. Hopefully the newly submitted info will appease them and then we can once again get back onto planning the move (that is if some one buys our house).

Not really a good time - housing market crashes and $-£ rate drops. maybe someone is telling us something!!

No..........maybe it is to stop you coming here before hurricane season is over

Seriously though, I hope you get it sorted soon. At least by the time you get here it wont be quite as hot and humid....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

I passed through Houston (flight connection) on my way home from Mexico on the 1st Sep. Yes the old hurricane thing does make you wonder, especially if it throws up a few tornado's as well. Do many have/or anyone have shelters, in their backyard (learning the lingo)
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mandana
Do you have to sell? Are you coming here permanently? We let ours out and [touch wood] have had no problems with it.

Sorry to hear you're having immigration difficulties

No don't have to sell, just that we have no family near where we live and all of the local letting agents want 15%+ to manage the letting. Also a lot of people are starting to let out their houses, so a glut in the market is starting. Also with the uncertainty of the Government and the way they are going to handle things makes it even more difficult. We think, that by selling it will take some time before the markets recovers, and in the mean time we don't have the worry about renting and paying someone to look after the property.

Last edited by sportaxi; Sep 3rd 2008 at 10:10 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Haggle with them and play one against the other. If you can be arsed, that is!

From our point of view it just didn't make sense to jump off the property ladder in the UK. We'll be back one day and we don't want to be in the same situation as we've heard from a lot of other people - that they couldn't afford to go back.

Depends what your financial situation is as to whether it is a viable option or not. Or indeed, if you want the worry of it. I have a small portfolio which I had long before moving here, and running the business from here can (and has) been a nightmare. But I wouldn't sell as it's still income, still profitable, and in a perverse way, still enjoyable. Doesn't stop it being a PITA though!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

We are certainly now looking into the letting side, I guess it was to try the water with the sale (pushed the price to the top end). We had planned to move across and do the whole thing (green card etc..) but thinking about it, it should be one step at a time.

I will be bartering with them and personally looking forward to the challenge!!
It would be nice to know what the expected rate for a fully managed letting could be in % terms. Locally it seems to be 15% (that is first enquiry!)
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

We are certainly now looking into the letting side, I guess it was to try the water with the sale (pushed the price to the top end). We had planned to move across and do the whole thing (green card etc..) but thinking about it, it should be one step at a time.

I will be bartering with them and personally looking forward to the challenge!!
It would be nice to know what the expected rate for a fully managed letting could be in % terms. Locally it seems to be 15% (that is first enquiry!)
Our charged 12.5% but others I know charge between 10-15% fully managed.

I do it myself now as I sacked our agents. They were crap. Totally. I ended up doing everything myself anyway, so what was the point in giving them a fair wedge when seriously I was doing everything from this end. I'm lucky in that the tenants are RAF people and have signed up for another year, so I can put it to bed (house maintenance excepted) until next May.

The other properties are a different kettle of fish. They keep me busy most days with one thing or another.

If there is anything I can help with, just shout!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

wombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mandana
Talking of catteries, has anyone else found that while they're 'ok', they are far smaller than the ones back home?
My two cats stayed in a Katy cattery for a few weeks while we were moving, and it was a totally different setup to UK catteries - they had a 'communal area' like a big living room with chairs and sofa where all the cats came out during the day and sort of hung out together. All except one of my cats who had a post-it note on his cage saying 'do not let out unsupervised - will stalk other cats'. How embarassing