Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from the UK

Moving to Houston from the UK

Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

sportaxi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Houston from the UK

Just accepted a new job offer, we are in the process of moving from the UK to Houston. Last month we managed to have a flying visit to see some of the Houston (southern areas - Clear Lake, Pearland and Sugar Land). I will be working near Manvel, we were partically taken with the Riverstone, Sugar Land area (don't want to be too close to work!!)

Is there anyone else from the UK that has recently moved across, and if so can they offer any advice on the move to avoid any pit falls? (Schooling, furniture shipping, house purchase (300K+ range), bring dog across, car insurance no-claims bonus etc... etc...). I know that it is a bit of a broad brush statement, but all good advice will be gratefully appreciated.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from the UK

Originally Posted by sportaxi
Just accepted a new job offer, we are in the process of moving from the UK to Houston. Last month we managed to have a flying visit to see some of the Houston (southern areas - Clear Lake, Pearland and Sugar Land). I will be working near Manvel, we were partically taken with the Riverstone, Sugar Land area (don't want to be too close to work!!)

Is there anyone else from the UK that has recently moved across, and if so can they offer any advice on the move to avoid any pit falls? (Schooling, furniture shipping, house purchase (300K+ range), bring dog across, car insurance no-claims bonus etc... etc...). I know that it is a bit of a broad brush statement, but all good advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Hi

You'll be just up the road from me (in Texas terms!)

I've been here too long to give you much of an idea about shipping/schooling etc but search some of the recent threads and you should find some help.
Look for posts by Mandala

If you work in Manvel you will be in Brazoria County, if you live in Pearland you will still be in Brazoria County but Sugar Land is Fort Bend County and I know nothing about that area, except when we first moved here 19 years ago it was just Rice fields

Edit: You might not want to be too far from work either, Hwy 6 and 288 are pretty bad during rush hour traffic.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone else from the UK that has recently moved across, and if so can they offer any advice on the move to avoid any pit falls? ...
yeah, avoid houston totally and you'd be all set

Good luck with it, it'll be a bit of a culture shock....though there's plenty of threads on Houston and Texas in general if you search the forums, should give you a head start on things
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:06 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

any advice on the move to avoid any pit falls? but all good advice will be gratefully appreciated.
One word of advise......when you go to the local "pub" and see a strange looking beast in the center of the room surrounded my padding....do NOT get on it.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

sportaxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
One word of advise......when you go to the local "pub" and see a strange looking beast in the center of the room surrounded my padding....do NOT get on it.
As I am "new" and from your experiance can you please define "strange looking beast" "Surrounded by padding" I thought that was the norm over there
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here for about 12 years , and live in the clear lake area . I really like it ,the primary schools are good ,high schools are very big with thousands of pupils but they are building more.
Housing is very reasonably priced and it is easy to fit into a community , shopping is fine and there a couple of good pubs where you can meet people from all over the uk. depends on where your job is located ,traffic is very heavy ,but it is like that all over the city
But I must be honest and tell you Houston is a very ugly city , and its hot during the summer . Hope this helps a little .
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Hi

Look for posts by Mandala
Did you mean me?!

Hey Sportaxi

We moved over last year and now loving it. Watch out for the homesickness to begin with. It really hits you hard between the eyes - especially the 'trailing spouse' who doesn't know a soul, doesn't know where to shop, when she does, she has no clue what brand of stuff to buy, which deo to use etc. Small things can push you over the edge!

But it does get better

The heat takes some getting used to. If you can, get a house with a pool (if you're leasing). Look at Har.com for both lease/purchase for your homes.

We used Robinsons/Graebel for moving across. Excellent. Airpets.com for bringing our cat over. Again, excellent.

I'll find out about car insurance - have forgotten their name. Ditto no-claims and using it here (actually, my H did all that as he had to at the time [I didn't have a SSN then])

HTH
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Did you mean me?!

Hey Sportaxi

We moved over last year and now loving it. Watch out for the homesickness to begin with. It really hits you hard between the eyes - especially the 'trailing spouse' who doesn't know a soul, doesn't know where to shop, when she does, she has no clue what brand of stuff to buy, which deo to use etc. Small things can push you over the edge!

But it does get better

The heat takes some getting used to. If you can, get a house with a pool (if you're leasing). Look at Har.com for both lease/purchase for your homes.

We used Robinsons/Graebel for moving across. Excellent. Airpets.com for bringing our cat over. Again, excellent.

I'll find out about car insurance - have forgotten their name. Ditto no-claims and using it here (actually, my H did all that as he had to at the time [I didn't have a SSN then])

HTH

Sorry mate! (or should I say Nelson.....or is it Winnie)
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Winnie Atwell again?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is that Winnie Atwell again?

Get back to the piano and sing woman

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:38 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

we used ladyhaye from gatwick>houston ..http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/ they have lots of info even if you decide against using them.

used luxfords shipping but they are based in weybridge, surrey and not sure where you are presently located.... http://www.luxfords.co.uk/

don't know the part of town you are looking in but http://har.com/ is a good start for rental/purchase.

tons of good luck, hope you all like hot humid weather. one things certain here in texas, it never runs out of mozzies and they are huge
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we used ladyhaye from gatwick>houston ..http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/ they have lots of info even if you decide against using them.

used luxfords shipping but they are based in weybridge, surrey and not sure where you are presently located.... http://www.luxfords.co.uk/

don't know the part of town you are looking in but http://har.com/ is a good start for rental/purchase.

tons of good luck, hope you all like hot humid weather. one things certain here in texas, it never runs out of mozzies and they are huge
We used ladyhaye as well - Gatwick to Seattle - and were very pleased with their service.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Is there an echo?!

As well as mossies, there are the dreadful 'Love Bugs'. Oh, and snakes. I've lost count of the amount of snakes in our pool. Not fun
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LOL .. I'll answer to most things.

Right now I'm answering to cook, cleaner, washer-upper, entertainer ...
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mandana
LOL .. I'll answer to most things.

Right now I'm answering to cook, cleaner, washer-upper, entertainer ...

Look at it this way, there has to be pay back. Bide your time and eventually it will happen....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.