Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from the UK

Moving to Houston from the UK

Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from the UK

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Well what does that make a Battery then?

A home for wayward Bats....
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of catteries, has anyone else found that while they're 'ok', they are far smaller than the ones back home?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportaxi
..... I know that it is cheaper over there .. but the shopping list is getting bigger.
cost of living isn't really all that much cheaper for a lot of things though, plenty of hidden costs to be aware of
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mandana
I'd heard the best schools were in Katy. God alone knows why we moved here in that case!!
I live in Dallas but manage a facility in Stafford. I stay in a hotel 3-4 days per week in Sugarland and really like the area. The Humidity will kill you at first, you walk outside and just feel like you need another shower. Oh and I was there this week when we had the huricane - nothing really just a load of rain (it missed us).

If you have kids, get a house with a pool, it will keep them cool in the summer. Don't wory about heating the thing, my pool is up to 85 right now due to the heat - lol

Have fun, let me know when you here and we can go out for a beer.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
I live in Dallas but manage a facility in Stafford. I stay in a hotel 3-4 days per week in Sugarland and really like the area. The Humidity will kill you at first, you walk outside and just feel like you need another shower. Oh and I was there this week when we had the huricane - nothing really just a load of rain (it missed us).

If you have kids, get a house with a pool, it will keep them cool in the summer. Don't wory about heating the thing, my pool is up to 85 right now due to the heat - lol

Have fun, let me know when you here and we can go out for a beer.

As I said earlier, Sugarland may look like a nice area but on the whole Fort Bend County has a very high crime rate and the schools are not all rated very highly.

But if you like big ugly looking houses all squashed into small sub divisions with repeating strip malls and shopping centers between each one then it is the place to be. Hwy 6 can also be a complete nightmare.

I may dislike it more because 19 years ago when we first moved here it was all farm land and small communities, now it is just an addition to Houston.

I'm glad we live further south and I hope we keep our small country feel for a while longer....
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
........I may dislike it more because 19 years ago when we first moved here it was all farm land and small communities, now it is just an addition to Houston.

I'm glad we live further south and I hope we keep our small country feel for a while longer....
Don't you wish they had greenbelts like we have in England. The endless urban sprawl of so many US towns is one of the things that depresses me most about living here.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Don't you wish they had greenbelts like we have in England. The endless urban sprawl of so many US towns is one of the things that depresses me most about living here.

Certainly do The excessive building is part of the flooding problems we now have in this area. It didn't used to happen
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Certainly do The excessive building is part of the flooding problems we now have in this area. It didn't used to happen
and Houston is one of the worst!!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
and Houston is one of the worst!!

Houston floods because it is all built on Bayous........
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
When you drive across the golden gate bridge, there is almost zero development; isn't that a 'green belt'? When you drive south of SF on 280, there is a continuous body of undeveloped forest land almost the whole way to San Jose. San Francisco itself has two giant parks (Golden Gate Park and the Presidio). Why are you so depressed???
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

sportaxi is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Moving to Houston from the UK

[QUOTE=Sugarmooma;6657367]As I said earlier, Sugarland may look like a nice area but on the whole Fort Bend County has a very high crime rate QUOTE]

Sugarmooma,

This all makes interesting reading, whoever I am a little confused (often am ) A lot of the various published ratings for Sugar land show it as one of the most desired places in the US to live, with low crime rates. Are these statistics designed to show it better than what it is (i.e. get people in here) or is just certain areas within the Fort Bend County that should be avoided. Your opinion would be gratefully appreciated, as we are considering living in the First Colony area, which is in good school catchments (as we have been told). I will be traveling to work down hwy 6 towards hwy 6/288 junction, so I thought that I would be travelling against the flow (therefore quieter traffic).. Have I been misled by the realtor... :curse:
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When you drive across the golden gate bridge, there is almost zero development; isn't that a 'green belt'? When you drive south of SF on 280, there is a continuous body of undeveloped forest land almost the whole way to San Jose. San Francisco itself has two giant parks (Golden Gate Park and the Presidio). Why are you so depressed???
I don't think she lives in SF. Besides, coming from Elvira, that was pretty close to a compliment.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

As I said earlier, Sugarland may look like a nice area but on the whole Fort Bend County has a very high crime rate and the schools are not all rated very highly.

But if you like big ugly looking houses all squashed into small sub divisions with repeating strip malls and shopping centers between each one then it is the place to be. Hwy 6 can also be a complete nightmare.

I may dislike it more because 19 years ago when we first moved here it was all farm land and small communities, now it is just an addition to Houston.

isn't sugarland where the jails are? we were advised to live in katy as opposed to sugarland for the reasons you said and because of the jails. tbh over the yrs i've been here sugarland and katy are all rolled into one and all so ugly, such a shame.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=sportaxi;6658006]
As I said earlier, Sugarland may look like a nice area but on the whole Fort Bend County has a very high crime rate QUOTE]

Sugarmooma,

This all makes interesting reading, whoever I am a little confused (often am ) A lot of the various published ratings for Sugar land show it as one of the most desired places in the US to live, with low crime rates. Are these statistics designed to show it better than what it is (i.e. get people in here) or is just certain areas within the Fort Bend County that should be avoided. Your opinion would be gratefully appreciated, as we are considering living in the First Colony area, which is in good school catchments (as we have been told). I will be traveling to work down hwy 6 towards hwy 6/288 junction, so I thought that I would be travelling against the flow (therefore quieter traffic).. Have I been misled by the realtor... :curse:

I'm not trying to put you off.......

Fort Bend County is a fairly large county and does have some relatively crime free areas. First Colony is probably one of those areas. It probably has all you need in very close proximity of where you will live.

School statistics change regulary........so what you are told by the realtor may or may not be true (but their job is to sell you a house!).

Do you really think buying a house straight away is a good idea or am I confused and you are just renting?

As for traffic.........either way can be chaotic, especially if there are roadworks or a minor wreck

BTW............are your kids High School age? Did you know Manvel have just built a new High School.

Good luck
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TruBrit
isn't sugarland where the jails are? we were advised to live in katy as opposed to sugarland for the reasons you said and because of the jails. tbh over the yrs i've been here sugarland and katy are all rolled into one and all so ugly, such a shame.

...........and the road chaos gets worse and worse. I guess they are now back to where they started on the Katy freeway.......and now starting all over again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.