Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:23 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ray
It appears she may be on H4 ... no work possible
That's a shame..seems voluntary is the only way to go then.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Webcams are terrific - talk all you want for free, and see the other person besides. Need to have broadband though.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
............ He has just this week started the Green Card process through his Immigration lawyer and Employer.
What exactly does that mean?

Note that if your fiance gets his green card BEFORE you are married, you'd be looking at YEARS of being separated.

A permanent resident *can* file for a spouse but - unlike spouses of USCs - the process takes years because a visa number is not immediately available to them.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
What exactly does that mean?

Note that if your fiance gets his green card BEFORE you are married, you'd be looking at YEARS of being separated.

A permanent resident *can* file for a spouse but - unlike spouses of USCs - the process takes years because a visa number is not immediately available to them.
He is on H1 ..she will get H4 ..
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
He is on H1 ..she will get H4 ..
IF they marry before he gets his green card...

She says he has started the green card process. Employment-based AOS can be pretty quick these days. I don't recall her saying when they were planning to get married.

So, has he actually filed his I-485 or have they only just started the Labor Certification process...
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall her saying when they were planning to get married.
I do .....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...14&postcount=1
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

IF they marry before he gets his green card...

She says he has started the green card process. Employment-based AOS can be pretty quick these days. I don't recall her saying when they were planning to get married.

So, has he actually filed his I-485 or have they only just started the Labor Certification process...
This is what she wrote:

He has a H-1 visa work permit thingy that his employers arranged for him. We are going to get married here. I will go over on my UK Passport and then that is when we can apply for my H-something visa (I think its a H-2 but don't quote me on that). Apparently it won't take long to get it as Rice Uni can have unlimited applications.

USA is a forever and ever kind of plan for us. He has just this week started the Green Card process through his Immigration lawyer and Employer.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 3rd 2007 at 1:36 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:38 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This is what she wrote:

He has a H-1 visa work permit thingy that his employers arranged for him. We are going to get married here. I will go over on my UK Passport and then that is when we can apply for my H-something visa (I think its a H-2 but don't quote me on that). Apparently it won't take long to get it as Rice Uni can have unlimited applications.

USA is a forever and ever kind of plan for us. He has just this week started the Green Card process through his Immigration lawyer and Employer.
I now know that they are not planning to get married until the end of the year - hence my question as to where exactly is he in the green card process...

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/fa...-benefits.html

http://unitefamilies.org/eng/news/ne...2005-04-05.pdf

Last edited by Elvira; Jun 3rd 2007 at 1:41 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

He hasnt got very far into the process at all. I dont know the details - remember I'm not in USA yet so all the jargon is still foreign to me

His imm lawyer has just contacted his employer to ask them to advertise his post out etc (is that the labor certification mentioned?) Anyway we have taken it all into consideration and everything will be done in order so that the wedding can go ahead as planned. I don't think it will all have been done by December he has only just started Green Card stuff this week.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:38 am
Homebody

He hasnt got very far into the process at all. I dont know the details - remember I'm not in USA yet so all the jargon is still foreign to me

His imm lawyer has just contacted his employer to ask them to advertise his post out etc (is that the labor certification mentioned?) Anyway we have taken it all into consideration and everything will be done in order so that the wedding can go ahead as planned. I don't think it will all have been done by December he has only just started Green Card stuff this week.
I'm not familiar with the LC process as my husband didn't need it, but it sounds to me like it could be that.

So your problem is going to be the exact opposite - it could take several years. You - or he - really need to find out whether he is going to file as EB1 (unlikely) or EB2 or EB3. Look up the current processing times for those, i.e. likely length of retrogression.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:22 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Best to wait until you have more facts, hard to give advice until then.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If I only listened to you guys here, I wouldn't want to live in the "US" either. You must live in some pretty sucky places (but they aren't 'America' in its entirety!)
Then again, I notice that there's hardly ever any whinging coming out of Brits in the Pacific NW. I guess I got lucky when we moved here.

"These people". Puh-leeese.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:23 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
If I only listened to you guys here, I wouldn't want to live in the "US" either. You must live in some pretty sucky places (but they aren't 'America' in its entirety!)
Then again, I notice that there's hardly ever any whinging coming out of Brits in the Pacific NW. I guess I got lucky when we moved here.

"These people". Puh-leeese.

Not me!! I love Manhattan, I am happy living where I live!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:30 am
Just Joined

2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice2point4 is just really nice

Hi Sofi
We moved to Houston last year and are originally from Sheffield (very close to Glossop and Manchester). We live in the Clear Lake area and all love it very much.
We left the UK to live in the Bahamas for four years but then had the choice to move to the USA on a L1A visa......our choice was New Jersey or Houston and after visiting both places we chose Houston.
The area we live is very pretty our kids love the school and my wife is a stay at home mum but has the right to work if she wants.
We do miss the UK but only our family and certain foods (and Yorkshire Tea), with Lingo/Vonage and webcams it is easy to stay in touch and the flights are cheap enough for a constant stream of visitors. We have now applied for a green card and do not want to move back to the UK.
Houston is one of the best decisions we have ever made!!! Excellent for Restaurants, shopping, cost of living, museum, arts, schools, nightlife and climate (gets a little hot in summer).
Let me know if you need information on anything specific about Houston from the view of myself or my wife...an expat non working northern lass!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 2point4
Hi Sofi
We moved to Houston last year and are originally from Sheffield (very close to Glossop and Manchester). We live in the Clear Lake area and all love it very much.
The area we live is very pretty our kids love the school and my wife is a stay at home mum but has the right to work if she wants. We have now applied for a green card and do not want to move back to the UK.
Houston is one of the best decisions we have ever made!!! Let me know if you need information on anything specific about Houston from the view of myself or my wife...an expat non working northern lass!
Thanks sooo much!! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear right now. After some of the less than favorable reports on here about the place I was starting to worry!! Its nice to hear a good report from somebody who is actually living there currently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.