Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

As an fellow Mancunian, although it's been along time since I lived there, I wish you happiness.
Here's my two cents worth
  • Accept all any invites that come your way
  • Don't get too bogged down in being "English" or annoyed because every other person will probably say how much they like your accent.
  • Just nod when they think Manchester is a suburb of London although they will probably know about Manchester United.
  • Don't even bother trying to explain why we don't celebrate July 4th!
Everything is probably going to be a very different from you expect and yes you're going to miss a lot of things about Manchester but there's a whole batch of new experiences waiting for you.

Good Luck
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:08 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I worked in Houston for a while a few years back ....it's not that bad (some good shopping and great restaurants) but it will certainly be a culture shock initially for you.

It will take time for you to adjust. It took me about 6 months before I started to feel settled and could handle the homesickness better....and for most people it does get better.

Stay active and maybe write an online journal to help pass some time and update friends and family back home.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

HI and WELCOME to BE. I am a fellow Mancunian and I live in Baltimore (been in the US about 15 years). Don't know much about the visa situation (I am a citizen of the US and the UK). I can give you a few tips, sorry if I repeat stuff already on here.
1) Be prepared for a BIG culture shock. These people do not share the same values as we do. Friendship is viewed differently too. Too many differences to mention on here, but just be ready.
2) If you cannot work (because of your visa) I would have something to do. Can you volunteer? Join a club or group of somekind, take a class at a local college (if you partner works at one, it may be free for you). Have some reason to get up in the morning.
3) Don't compare your life with the life you had in the UK. This is virtually impossible, but, believe me, the sooner you get into the habit of not saying, "but in the UK this is how we do it..." the better your life will be.
4) When someone with 1950's hair tells you that you have a wooonderful accent, just nod and smile. You will soon get tired of explaining to everyone where you are from and why you are in Houston. Some locals will treat you as though you are from another planet.
5) It will be difficult at first, but life can be good here. See this as an adventure and a growing experience (I sound like Oprah!). Remember that nothing lasts forever and everything, eventually changes. That means that if you don't like it, it's not forever, so don't worry! and if you do like it, enjoy it now!
Take care of yourself and keep us posted as to your progress. We can help you!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:49 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to BE!

I just moved from Texas to California. I lived about an hour north of Houston for 2 years whilst my wife attended vet school.
It will be a bit of a culture shock and take a little while to get used to.
The worst parts for me were the bugs (mosquitoes everywhere, and a type I reacted too), the humidity, the periods of 2 weeks of solid rain, the fact I spent so much on electricity - I either had the AC running or the heater running, it never seemed to be anything other than freezing cold or hotter than hell.
I found Houston to be grey and gloomy, all those square box-like, faceless buildings - yak! Visit Austin or Dallas to see a big contrast. You won't be too far from Galveston - a dismall 'beach' but fabulous old houses.
I'd like to say something nice about Houston, as I am sure it can be nice. I can't think of anything right now. It is what you make it - your going to be with your fiance and thats all that should really matter.
Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:26 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
Hi All,

I've lived in Manchester UK my whole life but I'm getting married and moving to Houston at the end of this year. My fiance has been living and working there for about a year and a half.

I'm really worried that I'm going to be totally homesick as all my family and friends are in the UK.

Does anybody have any hints and tips on how to settle in? Stuff I should do when I get there etc?? I visited my fiance last May and I think the move is going to be a huge culture shock!!

Any advice to help my transition will be much appreciated...........
without trying to freak you out but katrina has displaced many degenerates to houston and pushed up the crime rate there. make sure you move to a good neighborhood.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:28 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

"1) Be prepared for a BIG culture shock. These people do not share the same values as we do."

you mean that people in the UK dont respect family, law and order, government, senior citizens, work ethic, friendships?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:31 pm
Banned

get ready for the culture shock like, mcdonalds, burger king, blockbuster, hollywood movies, toyota cars, highways, english language, boy racers, hip hop, different cultures, varied dining, rock music, simon cowell, the osbournes, i could go on as there is such a gulf in culture between the uk and usa.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
get ready for the culture shock like, mcdonalds, burger king, blockbuster, hollywood movies, toyota cars, highways, english language, boy racers, hip hop, different cultures, varied dining, rock music, simon cowell, the osbournes, i could go on as there is such a gulf in culture between the uk and usa.
English language?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
English language?
Grand Marnier?

(btw the OP seems to have done a runner...)
Banned

English language?
it was sarcasm... there is no culture shock unless you lived in a box in the outer hebrides for the last 40 years and was thrown in the middle of time square, NYC
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

it was sarcasm... there is no culture shock unless you lived in a box in the outer hebrides for the last 40 years and was thrown in the middle of time square, NYC
No culture shock?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
Grand Marnier?

(btw the OP seems to have done a runner...)
Not surprised...poor girl...she's probably terrified.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised...poor girl...she's probably terrified.
Cause + effect...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:48 pm
Banned

No culture shock?
ever been to india? nepal? that's culture shock. nyc? no thats the movies
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:50 pm
Homebody

ever been to india? nepal? that's culture shock.
Just in case the OP does ever check back - might you not want to make it clear that you are ever so slightly pickled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.