Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Originally Posted by 2point4
Hi Sofi
We moved to Houston last year and are originally from Sheffield (very close to Glossop and Manchester). We live in the Clear Lake area and all love it very much.
We left the UK to live in the Bahamas for four years but then had the choice to move to the USA on a L1A visa......our choice was New Jersey or Houston and after visiting both places we chose Houston.
The area we live is very pretty our kids love the school and my wife is a stay at home mum but has the right to work if she wants.
We do miss the UK but only our family and certain foods (and Yorkshire Tea), with Lingo/Vonage and webcams it is easy to stay in touch and the flights are cheap enough for a constant stream of visitors. We have now applied for a green card and do not want to move back to the UK.
Houston is one of the best decisions we have ever made!!! Excellent for Restaurants, shopping, cost of living, museum, arts, schools, nightlife and climate (gets a little hot in summer).
Let me know if you need information on anything specific about Houston from the view of myself or my wife...an expat non working northern lass!

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:40 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2point4
Hi Sofi
We moved to Houston last year and are originally from Sheffield (very close to Glossop and Manchester). We live in the Clear Lake area and all love it very much.
We left the UK to live in the Bahamas for four years but then had the choice to move to the USA on a L1A visa......our choice was New Jersey or Houston and after visiting both places we chose Houston.
The area we live is very pretty our kids love the school and my wife is a stay at home mum but has the right to work if she wants.
We do miss the UK but only our family and certain foods (and Yorkshire Tea), with Lingo/Vonage and webcams it is easy to stay in touch and the flights are cheap enough for a constant stream of visitors. We have now applied for a green card and do not want to move back to the UK.
Houston is one of the best decisions we have ever made!!! Excellent for Restaurants, shopping, cost of living, museum, arts, schools, nightlife and climate (gets a little hot in summer).
Let me know if you need information on anything specific about Houston from the view of myself or my wife...an expat non working northern lass!
That is a great post, I am going to add to your karma!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:42 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya JG
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
someone has to be
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
Hiya JG
Hello.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:59 am
British New Yorker

I am cleaning the bedroom today, seem to take a break every three minutes to post on one site or another
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
I am cleaning the bedroom today, seem to take a break every three minutes to post on one site or another
I definitely don't have time for more than one site.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
Thanks sooo much!! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear right now. After some of the less than favorable reports on here about the place I was starting to worry!! Its nice to hear a good report from somebody who is actually living there currently

I told you not to worry Glad to hear someone else giving you some positive feedback at least I know I'm not the only one who has good things to say about this area.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I told you not to worry Glad to hear someone else giving you some positive feedback at least I know I'm not the only one who has good things to say about this area.
Add me to that list, I live in Texas and love it here too.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:43 am
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I definitely don't have time for more than one site.

I have to defend my 8 trophies on one UK site!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It appears she may be on H4 ... no work possible
I must have been tired when replying to you last night...
.but meant to say I am on a H4 visa and my OH is on a H1b visa, to clarify my earlier post.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:00 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Then again, I notice that there's hardly ever any whinging coming out of Brits in the Pacific NW. I guess I got lucky when we moved here.
Thats cause we all realise how beautiful a place it is in the PNW.

We visited Vancouver last week and drove up to Whistler and I was really struck at the vastness and unspoilt nature of it all when leaving Vancouver...underdeveloped look out onto a lake and no homes built etc, massive snow topped mountains, plunging into water, as far as your eye can see... you don't get that stunning vastness of scale of scenery at home.
Walked along 'a beach' and see why Willmore posts daily in the what made you smile today, thread

Realise its Canada and not the US but felt how fortunate I was to live in/near such a beautiful place

(not putting down the UK.. but just thankful of where we are in our lives right now )
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by lolly
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I didn't think anybody liked Texas..seriously..glad you do
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I didn't think anybody liked Texas..seriously..glad you do
I like it, wouldn't go as far as to use the word love but life here in TX is good.
I need to get out and about and see a bit more of the place though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.