Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:09 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I like it, wouldn't go as far as to use the word love but life here in TX is good.
I need to get out and about and see a bit more of the place though.
I didn't really know how much you liked it or disliked it here...good to know
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I didn't really know how much you liked it or disliked it here...good to know
It's what you make it in't it!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:55 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
It's what you make it in't it!
so true.. just like anything in life

(know there are valid reasons why some posters are unhappy here this is not aimed at them )
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
so true.. just like anything in life

(know there are valid reasons why some posters are unhappy here this is not aimed at them )
Very wise words and have to agree 100%.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2point4
We do miss the UK but only our family and certain foods (and Yorkshire Tea), with Lingo/Vonage and webcams it is easy to stay in touch and the flights are cheap enough for a constant stream of visitors.
Yep the flight connections are good.

Yorkshire Gold tea can be had at our Central Market in Austin, have you tried the one in Houston?

Welcome,
American Amy in Austin
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2point4
Hi Sofi
We moved to Houston last year and are originally from Sheffield (very close to Glossop and Manchester). We live in the Clear Lake area and all love it very much.
We left the UK to live in the Bahamas for four years but then had the choice to move to the USA on a L1A visa......our choice was New Jersey or Houston and after visiting both places we chose Houston.
The area we live is very pretty our kids love the school and my wife is a stay at home mum but has the right to work if she wants.
We do miss the UK but only our family and certain foods (and Yorkshire Tea), with Lingo/Vonage and webcams it is easy to stay in touch and the flights are cheap enough for a constant stream of visitors. We have now applied for a green card and do not want to move back to the UK.
Houston is one of the best decisions we have ever made!!! Excellent for Restaurants, shopping, cost of living, museum, arts, schools, nightlife and climate (gets a little hot in summer).
Let me know if you need information on anything specific about Houston from the view of myself or my wife...an expat non working northern lass!

You can get Yorkshire Tea in the HEB store in Friendswood which is just up the road from you! I just went there last week and stocked up on Bisto, Pickled Onions, Chocolate etc..........they usually have a very good selection.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:25 am
Just Joined

eli2929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sofi
Hi All,

I've lived in Manchester UK my whole life but I'm getting married and moving to Houston at the end of this year. My fiance has been living and working there for about a year and a half.

I'm really worried that I'm going to be totally homesick as all my family and friends are in the UK.

Does anybody have any hints and tips on how to settle in? Stuff I should do when I get there etc?? I visited my fiance last May and I think the move is going to be a huge culture shock!!

Any advice to help my transition will be much appreciated...........
Oh my god!!I was shocked when I saw your message here because I have almost the same situation as yours Sofi and I live in Manchester as well! I was trying to get H1 visa to go there, because I wouldn't be able to work with H4 visa...but I think if you go with H4 visa and you don't want to stay at home, I think studying would be a great idea..and that's what I'm thinking of doing myself if I can't get H1.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:09 am
Just Joined

cadengineer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Houston is a good place, Rice is a great place to live especially with the pubs in the village, pretty much similar to high street bars back in the UK although not as nice but you soon get used to that. Study is the way to go if your on an H4, however until you are here for I think 6 months you will be regarded as not being from instate and the fees will be about double, this may be a good motivavtor to hang about the pool for a bit and work that tan.

Also be prepared to see roaches , fire ants and being bitten by British blood hungry moquetoes.
The traffic sucks now in Houston too with all those foregners from New Orleans being here and the constant road works. Be prepared to get a ticket and have to get a lawyer as the multitude of police forces over here depend on your dollars to pay there wages also remember that you have to tio the waiters in bars, otherwise they just wont serve you again..other than that its a fine place, nice and warm...
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eli2929
Oh my god!!I was shocked when I saw your message here because I have almost the same situation as yours Sofi and I live in Manchester as well! I was trying to get H1 visa to go there, because I wouldn't be able to work with H4 visa...but I think if you go with H4 visa and you don't want to stay at home, I think studying would be a great idea..and that's what I'm thinking of doing myself if I can't get H1.
When are you moving? Are you going to be in Texas or a different state? Good luck with the move
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:35 am
Just Joined

eli2929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sofi
When are you moving? Are you going to be in Texas or a different state? Good luck with the move
Thanks Sofi, I wish you the best as well I don't know exactly..but I think it would be in the next 6-7 months! I'm going to be in Houston.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:37 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I can't give you any pointers on the city itself as I don't live there (I'm currently crisping to death in FL! ) but I would suggest keeping busy as a main distraction.

I've been here for about four and a half years now, and had never once been homesick to the point where I wanted to go back (well, except for maybe at Christmas). I have a good relationship with my family and we talk every week, so that helps.

Oddly, what does help a lot is to find stores that sell UK things. I just recently found some goodies like Maltesers and Devon Custard in the ethnic food section of Publix, and I nearly cried with joy!

It also helps to stay as problem-free as possible. I've been having some quite severe financial issues lately, and although I've always been okay in the past, right now I want to see my mum so bad, I'm ready to just jump on a plane and go! (And I'm in my 30's!!! ) I'll be okay again once I get sorted though.

Just try to keep as busy as possible and make some good friends.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eli2929
Thanks Sofi, I wish you the best as well I don't know exactly..but I think it would be in the next 6-7 months! I'm going to be in Houston.
We might be neighbours!!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Jodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really niceJodoug is just really nice
Wink Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Hi there - I'm moving to Manchester from Houston! I'm not scared or anything, just trying to figure things out - especially schools. But you won't have to worry about that (yet)

I've lived in Houston my whole adult life (except for one stint in Singapore about 10 years ago). There are 'few' native Houstonians as this is a pretty transient town - many expats - and many Americans from all over the states. You will hear all the negatives about how hot it is, how many mosquitos there are, how bad the traffic is (or can be), etc., but you will never meet friendlier people. Rice Village is especially nice -- lots of outdoor cafes, music venues, coffee shops, pubs, boutiques, and wide array of ethnic dining! The area is pedestrian-friendly. There's also a workout gym there or you can probably work out at Rice U. Even though Rice Village might be more expensive than other areas of town, it's a very nice area and don't forget, with the exchange rate, everything will be half as much!

I now live in Seabrook (near Galveston Bay, Clear Lake and Kemah Boardwalk) and LOVE it down here (about 25 miles southeast of downtown Houston). I met a lovely English couple from Hartlepool who moved here two years ago (not sure of their Visa status but they purchased their home). They've really assimilated well. The Randalls stores have a decent selection of English foods and they love the Indian grocer nearby. Meanwhile, they've learned to appreciate Mexican food, margaritas and Texas BBQ. They love their pool, tropical trees and flowers, and how warm and sunny it is here -- they're always inviting people over and going out to different restaurants, pubs and places to listen to live music. They've been to many more places than I've been down here and I've been here 7 years. We all have kids and met through soccer -- there are other families from Holland, Scotland, Canada, etc. and everyone of them really like Houston (or at least our particular area -we have a great school district and outstanding soccer clubs).

I think if you have a willing heart and open mind, you will have a grand adventure. I know when we moved to Singapore half way around the world, it seemed daunting at first, but we grew very close as a family, then struck out to learn as much as we could and had an absolute blast! Now, we're going back to Singapore, but with a one year stopover in Manchester first. So, here goes our next grand adventure....and good luck on yours and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

PS: Gets lots of sunscreen, mosquito spray and sunglasses and be prepared to explore and try new things!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Rice Village = British Food Store .
What's it called? I pass through there often.

There's one in The Woodlands called Goodwoods which has a lot of fine fayre.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Murray
What's it called? I pass through there often.

There's one in The Woodlands called Goodwoods which has a lot of fine fayre.
The British Isles...........owned by a Brit called Guy. Lots of choccies, cookies, tea, crisps, etc etc.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.