Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sofi
I agree with Sugarmooma. It'll just be like any other big city. I'm pretty sure its not going to be all that bad to be honest.

Even Manchester has it 'bad' areas. Hulme anyone...?! And I'm sure I can be a whole load of 5ft 2in menace if I need to hehehe
I am assuming you are quite young...IMHO that's a huge advantage in adapting to a new culture.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Im 26. I don't know if thats young old or in between
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:11 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's young enough that your peers are still in 'making new friends mode' which will help alot in your acclimation to the US. So too will being in a college town, which is somewhat transient in nature such that people are more accustom to people coming and going.

If you were 36, then you'd run into folks with established social circles and more family committments such that it could be a bit hard of a nut to crack breaking into a new social setting.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Young.

You'll be just fine....besides you'll always have us to moan to.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

How dose the rest of your family feel about it all ?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Young.

You'll be just fine....besides you'll always have us to moan to.
Jerseygirl ur very sweet!! (don't encourage my moaning too much or u'll be sick of me pretty fast!)

Originally Posted by britvic
How dose the rest of your family feel about it all ?
My family can't wait to be rid of me
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Surely not
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl ur very sweet!! (don't encourage my moaning too much or u'll be sick of me pretty fast!)

Nah...we all come on here to moan and whine...but there are plenty of fun times too.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britvic
Surely not
No no I'm just kidding!!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No no I'm just kidding!!
So it will be hard to say good buy then....or just see you later...as in some time next year may be.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Its going to be very hard to say goodbye. I have secured promises from them all that they are going to come and visit me next year (and if they don't I will come here and drag them across the pond by force!!!)
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:39 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been to Texas (I have been to Manchester a few times) , have a Yorkshire friend who moved there with her husband (they were in Ct. for more than 10 years) Not somewhere I fancy to live but I will probably visit Tx at some point. New York and parts of California are most certainly as liberal as parts of the UK. I say parts as there are very unliberal parts of the UK as well as the US. I lived in London for a year in the early 70's, then a year in NYC then back to London for a year and then back here!! Yikes. Although in fact I had the same type of friends (BBC peeps, advertising peeps etc.) in both places I found little difference in the culture. Maybe because I made a lot of British friends from the start and went to Consulate events, British parties, Broadway shows, the opera right from the beginning I slid in easily although I have never felt American in all the years of being here and have been home more than 30 times!!!!! Heathrow is only six hours from JFK!!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:42 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Its going to be very hard to say goodbye. I have secured promises from them all that they are going to come and visit me next year (and if they don't I will come here and drag them across the pond by force!!!)

You can get them on MSN and phone all the time. I have the 7 cents a minute to the UK and have a mic. on my puter so I can live chat free on MSN
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:55 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Does anybody have any hints and tips on how to settle in?

Any advice to help my transition will be much appreciated...........

Don't know if your fiance employers has filed for a green card yet but you get your work permit pretty quickly (maybe depends on the area you are in?!) but we arrived in Seattle in October 2005 and OH employers filed I-485 in November 2006 we got our prints etc done 1 week earlier and by the end of Nov '06 I got my employment authorisation card.

So in about a year I could work which was unexpected

I am now quite firmly involved in the different voluntary work, I do, mostly with the homeless which I enjoy.

When I am on here a lot I am usually doing the tedious side of the office work or the PP stuff. (though I would find I could do it in double quick time if I wasn't on here )

As I don't have children I felt I had to find voluntary stuff...there are so many different places wanting you to volunteer it will be easy to find and so fulfilling to do
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Don't know if your fiance employers has filed for a green card yet but you get your work permit pretty quickly (maybe depends on the area you are in?!)
It appears she may be on H4 ... no work possible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.