Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
ever been to india? nepal? that's culture shock. nyc? no thats the movies
Of course there is and that is expected. The point is there is a huge culture shock when you first live here...one that isn't expected because the language is English, Blockbuster, Burger King etc.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 2nd 2007 at 3:53 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:51 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=Elvira;4862294]Just in case the OP does ever check back - might you not want to make it clear that you are ever so slightly pickled? [/QUOTE]

im getting wasted! im so in culture shock that this culturally shocking spanish wine is freaking me out!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:53 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Of course there is and that is expected. The point is there is a huge culture shock when you first live here...not one you expect because the language is English, Blockbuster, Burger King etc.
ok whats your cultural shock? mine is thinking that "oh s**t atlanta looks like one big ghetto". its not culture shock but uk conditioning.

i was always led to belive that the USA was a naturally very dangerous place. my mother even warned me that if i ran on the street the cops would shoot me dead. aothers warned me that the USA was a fascist dictatorship. thankfully i live with sane people now.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=Elvira;4862294]Just in case the OP does ever check back - might you not want to make it clear that you are ever so slightly pickled?

im getting wasted! im so in culture shock that this culturally shocking spanish wine is freaking me out![/QUOTE]

Go drink a large glass of water.

Now!

That's an order...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
im getting wasted! im so in culture shock that this culturally shocking spanish wine is freaking me out!

Now!

That's an order... [/QUOTE]

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ok whats your cultural shock? mine is thinking that "oh s**t atlanta looks like one big ghetto". its not culture shock but uk conditioning.

i was always led to belive that the USA was a naturally very dangerous place. my mother even warned me that if i ran on the street the cops would shoot me dead. aothers warned me that the USA was a fascist dictatorship. thankfully i live with sane people now.
Don't forget to take an asprin and a large glass of water before you go to bed...you'll thank in the morning.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
:

Now!

That's an order...
Snap
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Now!

That's an order...
[/QUOTE]

Keep hydrated or you'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling like absolute cr@p.

Not to mention tomorrow morning...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:58 am
Homebody

double-snap

You've done that before Joisey havent you...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:49 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

without trying to freak you out but katrina has displaced many degenerates to houston and pushed up the crime rate there. make sure you move to a good neighborhood.
She's got that covered, Mr Welcome Wagon.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:04 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I was shocked to find people could be so narrow-minded. Sure we speak a similar language, have the same fast food chains and even drive the same make of cars, but the UK is a lot more liberal. If anything, the fact we share so many material similarities, yet are culturally so different is the bigger shock (at least for me). I had expectations it would be similar to the UK, just fatter and with funny accents . Had I gone to the middle east or even other parts of Europe I would have expected values to be different and hence not shocked. I am speaking here of Texas, and a few other mid states I have visited. I find CA to be a lot more liberal and similiar to what I expected the US would be...

"
you mean that people in the UK dont respect family, law and order, government, senior citizens, work ethic, friendships?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I'm a yank, I sure found Texas to be a huge culture shock. Houston - yikes. I'm afraid the OP should be scared. Of course, a lot of people seem to like it there....
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

I'm back! I didn't really do a runner! I'm sort of prepared for the culture shock and hopefully I will adapt quickly(ish...). I'm sure Houston will not be so bad!

I'm still looking forward to it coz the important thing is that I'll be with my fiance who will officially be known as my 'hubby' by then...... Hope I have not made you all want to vomit

I think my big adventure will be trying to drive in that place...in one of those american tanks..i mean cars! Why are the cars/trucks etc sooo big over there??
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Its time for my 'lesser half' to look for a new apartment as his lease is up in July. So today I have been checking out websites etc to suggest places for him to view as I'll end up living there too once I move.

So now i'm feeling more in control of the situation and the move
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
I think my big adventure will be trying to drive in that place...in one of those american tanks..i mean cars! Why are the cars/trucks etc sooo big over there??
Because the drivers are big, the roads are big, and you buy a lot of stuff that just won't fit in a mini. And when everyone else is driving a tank, you don't really feel safe in a Yugo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.