Reload this Page >

Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs

Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs

Old May 16th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

thewolfs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs

Hi everyone,

I'm arranging for shipping quotes from Edwards and Fox's. Anyone have experiences of these companies? I'm thinking our own 20ft container - I have a 2 bed terraced house. Any idea of costs to ship London-New York?

Also, we ordered additional bedroom furniture from a shop to match our existing pieces as we'll have more room in US. Upgraded to King size bed, bought a large chest of drawers. We bought them here as they are from the same furniture range as our existing pieces and wanted them to match. I've been reading that posessions need to be a year old to escape customs duty and our new piecs will be delivered here a week before we move. I was even thinking of keeping them in their delivery boxes as extra shipping protection, but I'm now worried I will be charged for these as 'new'. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Many thanks,
Sophie
Old May 16th 2008, 2:07 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs

Originally Posted by thewolfs
Hi everyone,

I'm arranging for shipping quotes from Edwards and Fox's. Anyone have experiences of these companies? I'm thinking our own 20ft container - I have a 2 bed terraced house. Any idea of costs to ship London-New York?

Also, we ordered additional bedroom furniture from a shop to match our existing pieces as we'll have more room in US. Upgraded to King size bed, bought a large chest of drawers. We bought them here as they are from the same furniture range as our existing pieces and wanted them to match. I've been reading that posessions need to be a year old to escape customs duty and our new piecs will be delivered here a week before we move. I was even thinking of keeping them in their delivery boxes as extra shipping protection, but I'm now worried I will be charged for these as 'new'. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Many thanks,
Sophie
My first thought is that you're going to have fun finding bed linen (and in future, a replacement mattress) for a UK "king-size" bed. It won't be a standard US size, so I suggest you buy plenty of UK king-sized linen before you move.

As for the customs question, I think you've answered your own question. It will be new, so you'll be charged duty if they inspect your container and judge it to be new. Keeping it in its original packaging will make that all the more likely. Given that you know the rules, you already know that strictly you'll owe duty.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
My first thought is that you're going to have fun finding bed linen (and in future, a replacement mattress) for a UK "king-size" bed. It won't be a standard US size, so I suggest you buy plenty of UK king-sized linen before you move.

As for the customs question, I think you've answered your own question. It will be new, so you'll be charged duty if they inspect your container and judge it to be new. Keeping it in its original packaging will make that all the more likely. Given that you know the rules, you already know that strictly you'll owe duty.
A UK king is virtually the same as a US queen bed...a US queen is 2" longer so US bedding shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/bedsizes.html
Old May 16th 2008, 2:15 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A UK king is virtually the same as a US queen bed...a US queen is 2" longer so US bedding shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/bedsizes.html
Fair enough. We got into trouble on our children's single beds when it came to fitted sheets and mattresses. I didn't think to actually check my facts before posting!
Old May 16th 2008, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Fair enough. We got into trouble on our children's single beds when it came to fitted sheets and mattresses. I didn't think to actually check my facts before posting!
I brought over my daughter's bedding for her single bed. Wouldn't go near a US twin because it's 3" wider. 12 years later I still can't bring myself to throw the bedding out.
Old May 16th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Hmm. Unfortunately, I didn't know this rule when I ordered my furniture. I figured as long as it was for my own personal use it wouldn't matter when I bought it. I might have to see if I can cancel the bed at least.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:08 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I brought over my daughter's bedding for her single bed. Wouldn't go near a US twin because it's 3" wider. 12 years later I still can't bring myself to throw the bedding out.
We bought our eldest some Snow White bedding when she was 2 and just going into a proper bed.She loved it and I can still see her face when she saw it all on her new bed.
I still have it, along with all the other themed bedding, we bought when they were small.

Now when she comes home from college I always put the Snow White stuff on her bed.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

www.movingscam.com

it all depends on who is contracted on this end to do the US side of the delivery, so check that site and ask who will be used...

I'm guessing your not paying for the shipping, otherwise I'd suggest bin or sell it all and get fresh here, but if you can't paying what the hell
Old May 17th 2008, 2:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

<<snip>>
Have you a list of items that you plan to ship to the US? Particularly important are pieces of furniture, pictures in frames and other large or awkward shaped items.

Shipping companies will be the only one who can give you information on the cost because BE members don't know exactly what you plan on shipping.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:15 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if its just a few bits to pad out the existing stuff its hardly a major new purchase. I would unbox and get your removers to pack with the rest. I cant imagine that even if they inspected (which is fairly unlikely) that they would pick out the newer pieces from the older pieces.
I really wouldnt sweat this one.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Many thanks,
Sophie
Actually it just occurred to me that some movers will only insure stuff they have packed themselves so in fact leaving it in the box might not even be possible.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:15 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i would want to unbox it anyway to make sure it was as expected. last thing you would want would be to open it in america nd find it was the wrong colour - or was scrathed or something.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks Everyone for your help. I think I might cancel the bed and unbox the other two pieces. I am paying for shipping, but the furniture I'm shipping is beautiful solid cherry that I saved for ages for, so no binning there. I also do have lots of paintings (my husband is an artist), books, and some other sentimental decorative objects, but not too much. I am getting rid of anything I don't use now and of course all electricals. I am thinking a 20ft sole use container. Been told that runs about £2500. Does that sound right?
Old May 18th 2008, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We bought our eldest some Snow White bedding when she was 2 and just going into a proper bed.She loved it and I can still see her face when she saw it all on her new bed.
I still have it, along with all the other themed bedding, we bought when they were small.

Now when she comes home from college I always put the Snow White stuff on her bed.
Awww, that's nice.