British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-companies-new-furniture-customs-537009/)

thewolfs May 16th 2008 1:38 pm

Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs

Hi everyone,

I'm arranging for shipping quotes from Edwards and Fox's. Anyone have experiences of these companies? I'm thinking our own 20ft container - I have a 2 bed terraced house. Any idea of costs to ship London-New York?

Also, we ordered additional bedroom furniture from a shop to match our existing pieces as we'll have more room in US. Upgraded to King size bed, bought a large chest of drawers. We bought them here as they are from the same furniture range as our existing pieces and wanted them to match. I've been reading that posessions need to be a year old to escape customs duty and our new piecs will be delivered here a week before we move. I was even thinking of keeping them in their delivery boxes as extra shipping protection, but I'm now worried I will be charged for these as 'new'. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Many thanks,
Sophie

dbj1000 May 16th 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Moving companies and 'New" furniture -customs

Originally Posted by thewolfs (Post 6358555)
Hi everyone,

I'm arranging for shipping quotes from Edwards and Fox's. Anyone have experiences of these companies? I'm thinking our own 20ft container - I have a 2 bed terraced house. Any idea of costs to ship London-New York?

Also, we ordered additional bedroom furniture from a shop to match our existing pieces as we'll have more room in US. Upgraded to King size bed, bought a large chest of drawers. We bought them here as they are from the same furniture range as our existing pieces and wanted them to match. I've been reading that posessions need to be a year old to escape customs duty and our new piecs will be delivered here a week before we move. I was even thinking of keeping them in their delivery boxes as extra shipping protection, but I'm now worried I will be charged for these as 'new'. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Many thanks,
Sophie

My first thought is that you're going to have fun finding bed linen (and in future, a replacement mattress) for a UK "king-size" bed. It won't be a standard US size, so I suggest you buy plenty of UK king-sized linen before you move.

As for the customs question, I think you've answered your own question. It will be new, so you'll be charged duty if they inspect your container and judge it to be new. Keeping it in its original packaging will make that all the more likely. Given that you know the rules, you already know that strictly you'll owe duty.

Jerseygirl May 16th 2008 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 6358732)
My first thought is that you're going to have fun finding bed linen (and in future, a replacement mattress) for a UK "king-size" bed. It won't be a standard US size, so I suggest you buy plenty of UK king-sized linen before you move.

As for the customs question, I think you've answered your own question. It will be new, so you'll be charged duty if they inspect your container and judge it to be new. Keeping it in its original packaging will make that all the more likely. Given that you know the rules, you already know that strictly you'll owe duty.

A UK king is virtually the same as a US queen bed...a US queen is 2" longer so US bedding shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/bedsizes.html

dbj1000 May 16th 2008 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6358754)
A UK king is virtually the same as a US queen bed...a US queen is 2" longer so US bedding shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/bedsizes.html

Fair enough. We got into trouble on our children's single beds when it came to fitted sheets and mattresses. I didn't think to actually check my facts before posting! :)

Jerseygirl May 16th 2008 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 6358787)
Fair enough. We got into trouble on our children's single beds when it came to fitted sheets and mattresses. I didn't think to actually check my facts before posting! :)

I brought over my daughter's bedding for her single bed. Wouldn't go near a US twin because it's 3" wider. 12 years later I still can't bring myself to throw the bedding out. :o

thewolfs May 16th 2008 2:29 pm

Hmm. Unfortunately, I didn't know this rule when I ordered my furniture. I figured as long as it was for my own personal use it wouldn't matter when I bought it. I might have to see if I can cancel the bed at least.

jumping doris May 16th 2008 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6358845)
I brought over my daughter's bedding for her single bed. Wouldn't go near a US twin because it's 3" wider. 12 years later I still can't bring myself to throw the bedding out. :o

We bought our eldest some Snow White bedding when she was 2 and just going into a proper bed.She loved it and I can still see her face when she saw it all on her new bed.
I still have it, along with all the other themed bedding, we bought when they were small.

Now when she comes home from college I always put the Snow White stuff on her bed.:o

Bob May 16th 2008 11:12 pm

www.movingscam.com

it all depends on who is contracted on this end to do the US side of the delivery, so check that site and ask who will be used...

I'm guessing your not paying for the shipping, otherwise I'd suggest bin or sell it all and get fresh here, but if you can't paying what the hell :D

NC Penguin May 17th 2008 2:02 am

Hi everyone,

<<snip>>

Have you a list of items that you plan to ship to the US? Particularly important are pieces of furniture, pictures in frames and other large or awkward shaped items.

Shipping companies will be the only one who can give you information on the cost because BE members don't know exactly what you plan on shipping.

MsElui May 17th 2008 2:15 am

if its just a few bits to pad out the existing stuff its hardly a major new purchase. I would unbox and get your removers to pack with the rest. I cant imagine that even if they inspected (which is fairly unlikely) that they would pick out the newer pieces from the older pieces.
I really wouldnt sweat this one.

chicagojlo May 17th 2008 3:48 am

Hi everyone,

Many thanks,
Sophie

Actually it just occurred to me that some movers will only insure stuff they have packed themselves so in fact leaving it in the box might not even be possible.

MsElui May 17th 2008 2:15 pm

i would want to unbox it anyway to make sure it was as expected. last thing you would want would be to open it in america nd find it was the wrong colour - or was scrathed or something.

thewolfs May 18th 2008 7:21 am

Thanks Everyone for your help. I think I might cancel the bed and unbox the other two pieces. I am paying for shipping, but the furniture I'm shipping is beautiful solid cherry that I saved for ages for, so no binning there. I also do have lots of paintings (my husband is an artist), books, and some other sentimental decorative objects, but not too much. I am getting rid of anything I don't use now and of course all electricals. I am thinking a 20ft sole use container. Been told that runs about £2500. Does that sound right?

AmerLisa May 18th 2008 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 6359285)
We bought our eldest some Snow White bedding when she was 2 and just going into a proper bed.She loved it and I can still see her face when she saw it all on her new bed.
I still have it, along with all the other themed bedding, we bought when they were small.

Now when she comes home from college I always put the Snow White stuff on her bed.:o

Awww, that's nice. :)