Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More to vent on...

More to vent on...

Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More to vent on...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Of course I was speaking generally and not referring to any one person.

I can only speak for myself...in many ways my mum has been great. It's just that we've never had a close relationship and it is one that seems to have completely broken down in recent years. Even so I still love her...I always will...she is my mother and you only have one.
I know! (about the first bit!)

In my case I was intended to replace the daughter my parents had been forced to give up 18 months before I was born. My mother told me at 13 that I was not their first child. That's also about the time that I stopped trying to understand why it was that I was never as loved as my younger siblings.
The older sister meanwhile - well she got two mums and yet when she decided to come looking for us a couple of years ago she had way more appreciation for the one that gave her up than the one who took her in an gave her a better life than any of us ever got. The funny thing is that she really is everything my mum ever wanted me to be, they are like two peas in a pod. As a child (before I knew about her) I used to pray to God every night that I was really adopted and that my real parents would come and rescue me one day.
My mother also has the jealousy problem and has admitted as much on several occasions, but she uses that as her main excuse for her behavior (when she can be bothered trying to excuse herself!) and it's worn pretty thin.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
It is very hard to explain to other people how it is when you are not wanted and not loved. My Mother told me when I was a child I was an accident. She has never forgiven me for being born. I am like my Father in spirit and have achived a lot more than she thought I ever would. She is not happy for that success she is jealous of it, putting me down whenever she can. I wish I could say my Mother had been great but unfortunately I cannot point to any support of help or love. I wanted her to come here to bond and have a realtionship with my young children. I even offered to go and get her but she said no. Now she wants her money back for the time she did come here when my brother brought her last year. I am sorry but I am done. yes we only have one Mother but if only she loved and cared as you would expect a Mother to and gave me something to work with I wouldn't feel this way.
We were also told we were accidents on occasion - OK one kid, maybe two - but they had six!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Some women just think boys are naturally superior to girls, my Mum is one of them, too, it's all about my brother and his kids. I can't really offer any advice as they never change, no matter how badly the son/s treat her they are always the precious princes.

You can do it, Emma!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I can really sympathise with this. Especially regarding inlaws. They won't even put us up when we visit the UK with their only grandchildren...who are lovely by the way.......it's just incredulous isn't it?

Your mum's behaviour has obviously turned you into a strong wonderful woman though. I can only guess how angry and frustrated you are feeling, but you're right....I'm sure she'll regret her actions when she has to rely on the two useless brothers....oooh, reminds me of King Lear (spot the English Teacher!)
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emma M
Yes, another venting thread from me...
Just had a big row with my mum on the phone, I said to her about the possibility of me coming back home and getting a job so my husband can move over to the UK eventually rather than us going through immigration in the US (which is taking so long we are barely surviving), she was fine about me coming back home and living with her for a while until I got myself sorted out, then she rings me back later on and says no, because she spoke to my brothers (who also live at home) and they aren't keen on the idea. My mum has never been there for me in my life and really, I should have known better than to even consider relying on her for anything. Everything has always been about my brothers (who both have highly paid jobs as the result of a brilliant encouraged upbringing, lucky them) and always will be about them. So now, if I get denied for my GC here, or I have to return to the UK for whatever reason, I have nowhere to go, no money, no job, nothing. Isn't life great?
Luckily, we have been able to borrow money from my husbands parents to tide us over so we aren't going to be in such a hole as we thought, but the way my mum has treated me is like she shut the door in my face. She's been messing my life up for far too long, I hope she enjoys her old age because my brothers are too selfish to look after her and she needn't be looking around for me when she needs me for anything.
My parents have never given me help since i left home, neither has my OH's side. Everything we have is through what we have done alone.
I understand your feelings on this, as it would be nice now and again for abit of family support. But no....it never happens.
Whether this is a good thing, bad thing, just plain ignorant i don't know, but i hope things work out for you back in UK. Sounds like it will be a struggle, but will be worth it. All the best.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't really have the choice because she won't see me...even when I go back to the UK and stay with my sister who lives about 1/2 mile away. If I had the choice...of course I would...she is my mum.
That is awful I feel for you.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I know! (about the first bit!)

In my case I was intended to replace the daughter my parents had been forced to give up 18 months before I was born. My mother told me at 13 that I was not their first child. That's also about the time that I stopped trying to understand why it was that I was never as loved as my younger siblings.
The older sister meanwhile - well she got two mums and yet when she decided to come looking for us a couple of years ago she had way more appreciation for the one that gave her up than the one who took her in an gave her a better life than any of us ever got. The funny thing is that she really is everything my mum ever wanted me to be, they are like two peas in a pod. As a child (before I knew about her) I used to pray to God every night that I was really adopted and that my real parents would come and rescue me one day.
My mother also has the jealousy problem and has admitted as much on several occasions, but she uses that as her main excuse for her behavior (when she can be bothered trying to excuse herself!) and it's worn pretty thin.

My mind boggles. As you say in the end it all wears thin.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ezzie;6221453]I can really sympathise with this. Especially regarding inlaws. They won't even put us up when we visit the UK with their only grandchildren...who are lovely by the way.......it's just incredulous isn't it?

It is their loss at the end of the day.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
My parents have never given me help since i left home, neither has my OH's side. Everything we have is through what we have done alone.
I understand your feelings on this, as it would be nice now and again for abit of family support. But no....it never happens.
Whether this is a good thing, bad thing, just plain ignorant i don't know, but i hope things work out for you back in UK. Sounds like it will be a struggle, but will be worth it. All the best.

So Emma you see you are not alone. Seems like there are more people than we realize who have similiar situatons. Good Luck to everyone.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Emma M
Yes, another venting thread from me...
Just had a big row with my mum on the phone, I said to her about the possibility of me coming back home and getting a job so my husband can move over to the UK eventually rather than us going through immigration in the US (which is taking so long we are barely surviving), she was fine about me coming back home and living with her for a while until I got myself sorted out, then she rings me back later on and says no, because she spoke to my brothers (who also live at home) and they aren't keen on the idea. My mum has never been there for me in my life and really, I should have known better than to even consider relying on her for anything. Everything has always been about my brothers (who both have highly paid jobs as the result of a brilliant encouraged upbringing, lucky them) and always will be about them. So now, if I get denied for my GC here, or I have to return to the UK for whatever reason, I have nowhere to go, no money, no job, nothing. Isn't life great?
Luckily, we have been able to borrow money from my husbands parents to tide us over so we aren't going to be in such a hole as we thought, but the way my mum has treated me is like she shut the door in my face. She's been messing my life up for far too long, I hope she enjoys her old age because my brothers are too selfish to look after her and she needn't be looking around for me when she needs me for anything.
Hi Emma, just a few thoughts to share, and hopefully help . I'll share enough with you to perhaps view things more favourably with yourself. My mum also never really cared for me either. Having said that she was very young when she had me, and in the 60's that was hard for her. I was always told I should have been aborted, but she didn't, so I give her credit there. She did have it very very hard, and had lots of her own misfortunes. Unfortunately some of her misfortunes spilled over onto me, and had a huge negative impact on my life. I won't go into details, but I had a very troubled and traumatic childhood. I left home at 14 and was living totally independantly from the age of 16. I never 'blamed' my mother, for her failures to protect me, but the effect of her failings has caused me some difficulties. However, those difficulties have also endorsed my strengh of character, even though a lot of hang ups still remain. I had a big disagreement with my mother, many years ago, that ended up with us not speaking for over 20 years. When a recent relative died of cancer, I decided to let go of my grievances, and get in touch again. It was O.K. for 6 weeks, and then off she goes again, with me as the whipping boy( or is that girl ). At that point in my heart I knew she had never been a mother to me, and indeed never would be. So I let go once again. The point is when you need to dig deep, all that trouble and turmoil that you have faced in your life, can pull you through. Crazy as that sounds. The irony is that when my mother is old, and has no one to care for her, I will. Your stronger than you think. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise