Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More TSA Security

More TSA Security

Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More TSA Security

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I realize now that you don't even live in the US ... I don't think you've fully grasped the true nature of the US psyche ... questioning authority is a somewhat basic philosophy of this fine country - a country you have yet to even live in. Perhaps you should reconsider your intention to move here if you don't like it when people challenge authority.
That there has been the biggest piece of garbage I have read today.

I tell you what I have fully grasped is the immensity & totality of opinions such as yours that fail to grasp that there is a war going on.

I suspect that you believe that any effort at counterterrorism is a law enforcement problem to be managed, and not a war to be won.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
It's not as derogatory as it sounds but it sure wasn't intend for you. Sorry mate. I'm more of a muppet than anyone.. this err proves it. LOL.

We are on the same page. I actually think if we took a stance against the terrorists by not appeasing to all this shite then we might start winning. Can you imagine how much they are laughing because we are allowed 10 rolls of 4 oz's of toothpaste but not allowed a single 8 oz tube!
No problem, I actually thought it was all pretty funny ...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom

I tell you what I have fully grasped is the immensity & totality of opinions such as yours that fail to grasp that there is a war going on.
The war isn't going to be won by stupid stuff like turning off route maps and banning people from standing up for the last hour of a flight. That's what people are complaining about.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The war isn't going to be won by stupid stuff like turning off route maps and banning people from standing up for the last hour of a flight. That's what people are complaining about.
Well, those rules have been changed by some carriers. Virgin for instance did that for one day, then changed it.

Actually, on the news, most people being interviewed are ok with it all. Whats a little inconvenience. Besides, as has been noted, its not much in this case that security was the issue, it was the fact that the State Dept dropped the ball it appears. The guy should not have got past check in.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:52 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard on the radio that the TSA have revised the 1hr seat rule to that of being left up to the flight crew's discretion. Now why couldn't they have just said "we made a mistake and overreacted" That'll be the day!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that you believe that any effort at counterterrorism is a law enforcement problem to be managed, and not a war to be won.
Your view that this is a 'war' that can be won by 'hard power' is the silly part.

Fighting terrorism with 'power' is like fighting cockroaches with guns. If you want to kill cockroaches, you need to study them, understand them, learn how they function, then develop ways to eliminate them that does not kill everything else around them nor make them mutate into something stronger. Invading Iraq as a 'counter-terrorism' action was a big mistake that had an overall negative effect.

To answer your question - I view counter-terrorism as an extremely complex situation that requires attention on many fronts - diplomatic, psychological, 'surgical' (hitting training camps), political, etc. Force, in this particular situation, is one of the least effective weapons. We need to hire and train people who speak the language, and understand the culture; right after 9/11 we discovered we had virtually no operatives capable of infiltrating the terrorist networks. That's the kind of thing we need to be doing, along with many other lines of attack" (*). "bombing them back to the dark ages" may be a feel-good exercise for some but is wholly counter-productive.

But as I said - you don't even live here ... a wannabe ex-pat trying to tell those of us who live here how to think...

(*) Edit - 'other lines of attack' include reaching out to the muslim world and convincing the masses that we are not at war with Islam. Obama's speech in Egypt was a good first start. More than anything, the 'war on terror' is a battle for the hearts and minds of the youth of muslim countries.

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 28th 2009 at 6:15 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I just heard on the radio that the TSA have revised the 1hr seat rule to that of being left up to the flight crew's discretion. Now why couldn't they have just said "we made a mistake and overreacted" That'll be the day!
So if I'm good put my hand up and ask politely miss will let me go to the loo! Thank God!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Erm...................Bolting the stable door after the horse has ONCE AGAIN run away springs to mind!

The security measures that confiscate my hair grips don't seem to work too well do they!
How true - sums it up perfectly. The whole point of these attacks is to disrupt our way of life, boy are they succeeding.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: More TSA Security

One can always fly equipped with a colostomy bag attached to one's private parts and not get out of the seat at all.

But then, you would be dead at the end of the flight due to DVT.

Life sucks......then you die

Jim
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
One can always fly equipped with a colostomy bag attached to one's private parts and not get out of the seat at all.

But then, you would be dead at the end of the flight due to DVT.

Life sucks......then you die

Jim
A colostomy bag attaches directly to your colon.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A colostomy bag attaches directly to your colon.
Details.....Details

Jim.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, as has been noted, its not much in this case that security was the issue, it was the fact that the State Dept dropped the ball it appears. The guy should not have got past check in.
I disagree with this. Nigeria is one of the most difficult places to get a US visa; as was noted earlier, in the fraud continuum, it's reported that State has low, medium, high and Lagos. If he was issued a visa a year/two ago, he was investigated.

The cash ticket purchase, I can overlook, considering the local economy. The recent trip to Yemen and the no luggage for a trip halfway around the world (partnered with the Embassy call from his father) were the red flags I've read about that make me go 'hmmm'.

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Originally Posted by Steerpike
But as I said - you don't even live here ... a wannabe ex-pat trying to tell those of us who live here how to think...
Now, as moderator and friend, and I'm asking everyone to cool it with the name calling and personal digs. GB isn't a troll, he's a person expressing his opinion ( a troll would be posting.. nevermind, you both know what a 'troll' is). He's also not a wannabe expat, he's on his way here and has a USC spouse so let's not assume we know everything about his perspective please.

Originally Posted by traceym
So if I'm good put my hand up and ask politely miss will let me go to the loo! Thank God!
Only if you're jiggling.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wise words from meauxna.

I wonder if he got that visa from London when he was a student at UCL?

Wouldn't that just be akin to a rubber stamp rather than him getting much closer scrutiny from the US embassy in Nigeria?

All that said, when he went into TIDE the visa should have been cancelled anyway arguably.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

aww..was thinking about an E2..setting up a stall selling depends underwear just outide DFW airport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.