Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More TSA Security

More TSA Security

Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More TSA Security

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This may sound really weird (and let me just say I think the whole thing is silly too) but the reason there is a ban on the 'last hour' is because the nutjobs really want to detonate "over American soil". In interviews with failed plots and intercepts of their communications, just blowing up over the ocean isn't good enough. They want it to rain down fire and engine parts onto US soil.
But it won't necessarily do that. Depending on the destination, one hour could put a flight still over the Atlantic or Pacific ocean. Then again, on a flight from London to LA, one hour+ out puts it over lots of US soil. Plenty of time to detonate a bomb. it doesn't make any sense. I think it's an arbitrary figure dreamt up by the TSA.

Last edited by Brit3964; Dec 28th 2009 at 12:17 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This may sound really weird (and let me just say I think the whole thing is silly too) but the reason there is a ban on the 'last hour' is because the nutjobs really want to detonate "over American soil". In interviews with failed plots and intercepts of their communications, just blowing up over the ocean isn't good enough. They want it to rain down fire and engine parts onto US soil.

Doesn't make much sense to me but that's why the last hour is 'banned'.

Don't you think those in charge have lost the plot a little with the "no-maps" thingy also? Perhaps they'd had too much Christmas Ale when they thought up that little gem

And from memory, US bound flights from the UK are over North America around 2 - 3 hours before landing, at least if you're flying further south/west than New York.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:04 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, no-one has a gun held to their head and forced to travel, but plane travel is essential for many and the old "if you don't like it, then don't travel by plane" saw is getting pretty tedious.
What a silly statement. What about people who have jobs and have to fly? You don't get paid overtime typically if you are in a job that involves flying. It means less time with that persons family as they wait in line.

It's idiots like you that say we have to live with this when the truth is, we don't. I am ALL for more security, in fact the more the better BUT not pathetic stuff that won't work. I bet you are one of those that don't agree to profiling.

You've got a guy that boarded a flight to the USA when we are supposed to all now have bio-metric passports (that cost a fortune) and they scan the lists before we fly!. He was banned from the UK and had known terror-ties. And his own father told authorities he was a fanatic. And you want me to have more security that would NOT have prevented this same guy doing the same thing again! None of the new measures would have prevented this. Muppet.

This guy could get up and mix his chemicals in the first 9 hours of the flight - because he can't get up for the last hour now. Muppet.

This guy would have to calculate when he was over US soil. I'm sure someone like Homer Simpson wouldn't even be fooled by that silyl rule. Duh. How about when the plane starts it's descent! or when then tell you "Sorry, you can't get up, we are in the last hour of the flight". Duh.

No, this is all wrong. We have muppets managing the security and some of the stuff to fix this is easy and it does NOT involve more inconvenience. It involves COMMON sense, profiling, and better technology (that's already here). Heck, I'll feel safer when we can breeze through security because I'll know they've got it right. Muppet.

Last edited by franc111s; Dec 28th 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
What a silly statement. What about people who have jobs and have to fly? You don't get paid overtime typically if you are in a job that involves flying. It means less time with that persons family as they wait in line.

It's idiots like you that say we have to live with this when the truth is, we don't. .
I think Dunroving was actually agreeing with you...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's idiots like you that say we have to live with this when the truth is, we don't. I am ALL for more security, in fact the more the better BUT not pathetic stuff that won't work. I bet you are one of those that don't agree to profiling.

You've got a guy that boarded a flight to the USA when we are supposed to all now have bio-metric passports (that cost a fortune) and they scan the lists before we fly!. He was banned from the UK and had known terror-ties. And his own father told authorities he was a fanatic. And you want me to have more security that would NOT have prevented this same guy doing the same thing again! None of the new measures would have prevented this. Muppet.

This guy could get up and mix his chemicals in the first 9 hours of the flight - because he can't get up for the last hour now. Muppet.

This guy would have to calculate when he was over US soil. I'm sure someone like Homer Simpson wouldn't even be fooled by that silyl rule. Duh. How about when the plane starts it's descent! or when then tell you "Sorry, you can't get up, we are in the last hour of the flight". Duh.

No, this is all wrong. We have muppets managing the security and some of the stuff to fix this is easy and it does NOT involve more inconvenience. It involves COMMON sense, profiling, and better technology (that's already here). Heck, I'll feel safer when we can breeze through security because I'll know they've got it right. Muppet.
Franc111s - you are quoting the wrong person - Dunroving is agreeing with you and arguing with 'GinBlossom' ...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again . Millions of people now can't get up on a plane within an hour of a flight left (which could mean 2 hours or more if your delayed in the air). You can't even use a laptop anymore within the hour or two).

it's pathetic. This guy was on a watch list and his Dad contacted US authorities to warn he was a danger (and the UK barred him from entering the UK). And because of the screw ups by our Governments NOW we have to go through more checks that will me meaningless and punish us all (businesses and personal).

We are letting the terrorists win. All they have to do is say BOOH and we all forced to change the way we travel again.

I for one won't feel ANY safer until our Governments do their part properly and that ain't EVER going to happen, is it?

End RANT.
Stupidity before security.

"Only one carry on? No electronics for the first hour of flight? I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks." - Bruce Schneier.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Dec 28th 2009 at 2:48 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
But it won't necessarily do that. Depending on the destination, one hour could put a flight still over the Atlantic or Pacific ocean. Then again, on a flight from London to LA, one hour+ out puts it over lots of US soil. Plenty of time to detonate a bomb. it doesn't make any sense. I think it's an arbitrary figure dreamt up by the TSA.
I agree it is still silly.

On many flights, because of the semi-polar route they fly, one hour is basically US soil, with the exception of places like Boston, Chicago and Seattle. NY, DC, ATL, MIA, DFW, SFO, LAX, LAV all come down from Canada so they are over US soil for at least an hour or so (or hugging the coastline--maybe territorial waters count to the jihadists).

It might also be because the landing is one of the more tricky bits, with the plane turning and whatnot at a lower speed and less reaction time for the pilots should they lose hydraulic pressure or something.

But my vote is also an arbitrary figure dreamed up by the security guard state. I actually wonder if the one-carry on is to speed you through security, where they will now do a longer and more thorough check (taking up more time).

Last edited by penguinsix; Dec 28th 2009 at 3:22 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

So franc111s idea of reasoned debate is to levy insult, calling folks idiots and say muppet repeatedly. How very constructive.

As for profiling, yes I support wholeheartedly. Elderly white men arent trying to blow up airplanes.

As I said previously, if you have an objection that renders your patience obsolete, then simply do not fly.

Personally I like the editorial in today's Telegraph paper:

Many of our readers will spend today squashed into airport queues slowed to a snail's pace by extra security measures. It will be a teeth-grindingly boring ordeal. But it will not be terrifying, unlike the experience of looking up from your in-flight movie to see flames bursting out of the leg of a passenger who is trying to murder you.

Get real here, it was pure sheer luck that hundreds of people did not die these last few days. They will try again, and next time you or your family might be sat on that plane. Thats the reality of the situation. I guess you don't get it because you are so selfish you don't want the inconvenience.

You mention the word idiot. You are clearly demonstrating the very practice of. Muppet.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Nothing more to add, my feelings are pretty clear on the matter.

So franc111s idea of reasoned debate is to levy insult, calling folks idiots and say muppet repeatedly. How very constructive.

As for profiling, yes I support wholeheartedly. Elderly white men arent trying to blow up airplanes.

As I said previously, if you have an objection that renders your patience obsolete, then simply do not fly.

Personally I like the editorial in today's Telegraph paper:

Many of our readers will spend today squashed into airport queues slowed to a snail's pace by extra security measures. It will be a teeth-grindingly boring ordeal. But it will not be terrifying, unlike the experience of looking up from your in-flight movie to see flames bursting out of the leg of a passenger who is trying to murder you.

Get real here, it was pure sheer luck that hundreds of people did not die these last few days. They will try again, and next time you or your family might be sat on that plane. Thats the reality of the situation. I guess you don't get it because you are so selfish you don't want the inconvenience.

You mention the word idiot. You are clearly demonstrating the very practice of. Muppet.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

The 'sheer luck' is down to some guy jumping on the idiot and putting the 'bomb' out, not down to the security measures that 'should' have stopped him boarding the plane!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
The 'sheer luck' is down to some guy jumping on the idiot and putting the 'bomb' out, not down to the security measures that 'should' have stopped him boarding the plane!
You are quite right, so none of us should mind if there is extra security now. Right?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

You are quite right, so none of us should mind if there is extra security now. Right?
Erm...................Bolting the stable door after the horse has ONCE AGAIN run away springs to mind!

The security measures that confiscate my hair grips don't seem to work too well do they!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

As I posted elsewhere, think about El Al. Their passengers don't complain about security.

I wonder why.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

As I posted elsewhere, think about El Al. Their passengers don't complain about security.

I wonder why.
Because they'll be shot?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Because they'll be shot?
Many incidents of that you recall ABY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.