Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Merits of British men vs American men?

Wikiposts

Merits of British men vs American men?

Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merits of British men vs American men?

Originally Posted by franc111s
OK, I'm a guy and just had to comment. I can seriously say most American women I meet swoon at my accent and are very forward in coming forward to tell me so - even with my wife around. They don't even know me but when I open my Gob, they literally swoon. It's quite funny and yet quite nice to be so compliment for at least one of my traits

So what I'm saying is, the difference is the accent.... to start with

I agree with what the others are saying, we are just all different. I guess the people here, whom at got off their ars....es to make a life in the USA, are probably of a different breed to the "white van man" - remember the white van man anyone ?
I regularly get comments from women, both over the phone (at work) and in person, about my British accent. I get this compliments more from women than men. I'm female. One woman I work with even went so far to ask another person (who knows me) about my appearance (since we work via the phone and have never met).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:16 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
I think most British men have a gentler way to them also which I think is a good thing.
I agree. It was this same quality that attracted me to my British husband. And the fact that he always made me feel like a woman and still makes me feel very special. I am the American married to a British guy. We were both children of Expats born and living overseas when we met and fell in love.In fact we grew up together since our early teens. We live in the US now.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:58 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was reading the thread about 'Best Places to Live in the USA' and a couple of American ladies who posted on it mentioned that there seems to be quite a few British guys whose spouses are American who post here (not so many vice-versa).

One of them actually said "Aren't British guys just the BEST"?!

Well, I'm an Englishwoman married to an Englishman and I wouldn't swap him for the world.....

....but I do have a couple of questions for you American ladies out there as I haven't been able to compare and I'm curious:

What is or was it about your British guy which appealed to you? In general, did you find that they differ in character/personality to some/most American males? Or is there little or no difference really? Pros and Cons? (dish the dirt if you like LOL!)

Would you ever consider upping sticks and relocating to the UK (or any other country) if that's what your spouse wanted to do....or is leaving the US non-negotiable?

(British guys - I know you're reading this post, so even if your wives/fiancees don't normally post on the board, do ask them their opinion and post their replies here!)

welp! Been sorta away for a few days but had to make my comment on here.
First off his adorable accent
He's not an asshole like the men I know either...
He's so sweet and sensitive and open..........
Plus he's soft and fluffy just like I like em

(now let me backup and catch all the posts above me)
Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:09 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
In addition - I also stated that the ones who end up with British men are probably more independent-minded and this might be the reason that they sometimes find it easier getting on with a foreigner rather than an American male. I'm certainly not trying to imply it's the same for everyone - that's exactly my point - it isn't, but also talking to American men, most I know would feel unconfortable with a woman making the first move (most, by no means all - by most I would probably say 60 - 70% of the ones I've talked to about it).
Maybe it's your location but I know NO man that would not like to have a woman speak to them first.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Never call an American guy a homosexual, they seem to get very annoyed with it; they are very defensive of their masculinity and sexuality.

PS I'm not married to an British man.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Mar 12th 2005 at 11:56 am.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I do like the accent, and yeah, it's noticed in a very positive way. If I'm out with UK friends here and they speak.... people perk right up.

Back when I was engaged to Matt-from-Stockport-who-isn't-Manc I spoke with him so often that I could slip into his accent almost at will. If I'd just rung off with him and walked into a store, I'd sound English -- even to other Brits. I've never ever claimed to be from the UK but you wouldn't believe how service improves if you are speaking with "that" accent. The accent would fade of course, and I'd always explain if someone asked me where I was from and I said Texas.

I'd forgotten -- I have a theory as to why it's more Yank women attracted to Brit men. Women are very verbal and auditory. Men are visual. In general. Follows that a woman is going to care a bit more about how a partner sounds and a man how a partner looks.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Follows that a woman is going to care a bit more about how a partner sounds and a man how a partner looks.
Which means we are all ugly.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:31 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Which means we are all ugly.

yeah, but you sound GREAT!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
yeah, but you sound GREAT!!!!
Think about it this way.... in the dim light.... with her eyes closed.... the man with the sexiest voice is the biggest turnon

Now, it's just like everything else.... everyone defines attractive and sexy differently.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:13 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Sod British and American guys (no offence anyone here ) - Indian men are the absolute bestest

At least one of them is anyway!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:25 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Sod British and American guys (no offence anyone here ) - Indian men are the absolute bestest
There's just no comparison between the Kama Sutra and Mrs Chatterley's Lover, eh?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:25 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
At least one of them is anyway!
Well, Liz Hurley obviously thinks so too Top of the mornin' to you hon. How's you?? You know what I think? Cultural differences are always a turn on. At least they were for me.
My husband is a lot like his Dad. Impeccable manners, charming, softspoken and most of all the lovely sense of humour and fun. As someone said earlier, American men are very macho. They treat women as true equals (which is good!!) Must go back to the frontier days when women worked side by side with the men in the fields. Driving tractors, mending roofs doing every job a man can do. So the necessity to treat women like something fragile just isn't there.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Never call an American guy a homosexual, they seem to get very annoyed with it; they are very defensive of their masculinity and sexuality.

PS I'm not married to an British man.
im pretty sure that most men dont like to be called gay, american or or english

Last edited by englishnurse; Mar 13th 2005 at 2:47 am. Reason: aditions
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
I was going to say....

I know my British husband wouldn't.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by englishnurse
Well perhaps it's just me then.

However I know most of my British friends really wouldn't care, and in some cases we'll play up the campness just for laughs. I've tried the same with some of the guys in the office, they just look at me in disgust! It's almost like I'm attacking their machoness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.