Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Merits of British men vs American men?

Wikiposts

Merits of British men vs American men?

Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:15 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merits of British men vs American men?

This is of course a generalisation, but the odds of me finding someone who shares my political viewpoint and some of my pastimes is many times more with someone who is British than someone who is American. For example, I'm heavily into British indie/rock/pop, and while there are a few American men who like this music, every one of them I've met has been taken ;-)

I've tried dating American men, and a few that think I'm an insufferable snob for openly preferring British men usually understand after a bit of hearing me out. The fact that I love English footie and hate American football is usually enough.

I'd like to live in the UK as soon as I possibly can, and if I emigrated single, it'd make sense to marry someone British, since they'd be in the majority. However, I would like to make one point crystalline: I am NOT looking for rolls in the hay, and I'm not going to fall for every British male I meet -- quite the contrary, as there are other factors to consider that outweigh nationality.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't address whether I would move to the UK. Yes, would do so IF I could live in a village, no more than 1/2 hr from a city and could use public transport if I chose. Would have to have a big American refrigerator, a dishwasher and more than one bathroom. Also would prefer a character detached house with as much yard as here (over 3/4 acre). This of course would only be possible if I won the lottery,
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:57 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the reasons there seem to be fewer American males married to British women is probably that British women are generally (although this is certainly not always the case) more independent-minded than American women and the culture here seems to promote gender stereotypes more than in the UK and American men are more threatened by thinking women. Consequently this might also explain why some women here like British men much more as they are the independent-minded ones.

My fiancee has never dated an American man (simply because she has never met one she liked that much), and because she is black she thinks that it was probably easier with me because she felt comfortable with my family from the beginning - she believes there are probably less of these social hang ups about mixed race relationships.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:10 am
Resurrected member

Scarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura about

In addition to being an English woman married to an American man, I have many friends of both sexes from both sides of the Pond, as well as from a great many other countries in this shrinking world.

Let me just say this:

BUNKUM!

I have to state the obvious, I'm afraid. It's about the person. I've met bigots from all over the world. I've met incredible people from all over the world.

Down with stereotypes - they perpetuate ignorance and prejudice.

So ner!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:12 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett in Texas
In addition to being an English woman married to an American man, I have many friends of both sexes from both sides of the Pond, as well as from a great many other countries in this shrinking world.

Let me just say this:

BUNKUM!

I have to state the obvious, I'm afraid. It's about the person. I've met bigots from all over the world. I've met incredible people from all over the world.

Down with stereotypes - they perpetuate ignorance and prejudice.

So ner!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

What she said.

As for British women being more independant minded than American women. Baloney!!!
It's the woman not the nationality!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:15 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
What she said.

As for British women being more independant minded than American women. Baloney!!!
It's the woman not the nationality!!!!!
Agreed, but my point is that the culture here makes the women more pre-diposed to gender stereotypes in certain circumstances. You ask a woman here in the US if she would ever approach a man - there is still the expectation here that the man should make the first move. I've asked several women about this and expressed my surprise that women would never seem to make the first move.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:17 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by neil
Agreed, but my point is that the culture here makes the women more pre-diposed to gender stereotypes in certain circumstances. You ask a woman here in the US if she would ever approach a man - there is still the expectation here that the man should make the first move. I've asked several women about this and expressed my surprise that women would never seem to make the first move.

Well then ask my husband, I immed him first in the UK chat room, . The rest is history,
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:21 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well then ask my husband, I immed him first in the UK chat room, . The rest is history,
I know it's not always the case and there are certainly British women who would never approach a man, there just seems to be a higher percentage the other way round. Anyway, does over the internet really count as approaching someone - you're pretty well protected in that scenario as opposed to being in a bar/club/work situation.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:25 am
Sursum corda

I know it's not always the case and there are certainly British women who would never approach a man, there just seems to be a higher percentage the other way round. Anyway, does over the internet really count as approaching someone - you're pretty well protected in that scenario as opposed to being in a bar/club/work situation.
I don't know-a cad is a cad is a cad whether it be in "real" life or online. Also in all fairness, the same could be said for a woman.
As for the approach technique-hmmm, think that's part of the feminine mystique.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:27 am
Not here much

In addition - I also stated that the ones who end up with British men are probably more independent-minded and this might be the reason that they sometimes find it easier getting on with a foreigner rather than an American male. I'm certainly not trying to imply it's the same for everyone - that's exactly my point - it isn't, but also talking to American men, most I know would feel unconfortable with a woman making the first move (most, by no means all - by most I would probably say 60 - 70% of the ones I've talked to about it).
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:31 am
Resurrected member

Scarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura about

That's all very well if you want to meet and marry a stereotype. Call me choosy, but I prefer to relate to real people who can think for themselves, question the culture in which they just happen to be born, and see beyond it. Just a personal preference.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:34 am
Sursum corda

In addition - I also stated that the ones who end up with British men are probably more independent-minded and this might be the reason that they sometimes find it easier getting on with a foreigner rather than an American male. I'm certainly not trying to imply it's the same for everyone - that's exactly my point - it isn't, but also talking to American men, most I know would feel unconfortable with a woman making the first move (most, by no means all - by most I would probably say 60 - 70% of the ones I've talked to about it).

I don't know-since I've been married to both-my Yank husband was not surprised if I did something not considered a traditional female thing, whereas I think my British husband sometimes is surprised. We hopefully evolve in every genration.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:41 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by Scarlett in Texas
That's all very well if you want to meet and marry a stereotype. Call me choosy, but I prefer to relate to real people who can think for themselves, question the culture in which they just happen to be born, and see beyond it. Just a personal preference.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
I think you've missed my point. You are not a "typical American woman" (you're British FFS). I think the Americans that marry British are generally the same kind of woman as you are. America can certainly be a much more closed society than the UK (this comes from my fiancee who is American so don't blame me for stereotyping - it's a fact, in some parts of the US much more than others).
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:47 am
Sursum corda

Okay, if you karma me with a nonagreement for my comments in this thread at least have the guts or manners to sign your name.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:49 am
Resurrected member

I think you've missed my point. You are not a "typical American woman" (you're British FFS). I think the Americans that marry British are generally the same kind of woman as you are. America can certainly be a much more closed society than the UK (this comes from my fiancee who is American so don't blame me for stereotyping - it's a fact, in some parts of the US much more than others).
You've missed my point too - I don't believe in 'typical'.

I know a great many American women - and almost none of them are the way you describe. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Media aside, I can't say I see much difference between how shallow (or not) women (or men) are either side of the Pond. There are definite differences in the early stages of relationships (I'm talking friendships here), but once you get to the real person that stuff tends to melt away, don't you think?

I'm assuming people wanting to marry are wanting real relationships, of course...

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.