Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Merits of British men vs American men?

Wikiposts

Merits of British men vs American men?

Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:51 am
Resurrected member

Scarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Merits of British men vs American men?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Okay, if you karma me with a nonagreement for my comments in this thread at least have the guts or manners to sign your name.
EEK! Did I do something bad? I thought Karma was a good thing to give. I thought it showed agreement??? Sorry Cindy, the karma button is new to me. SOmeone point me to a thread that tells me how it works....

Grovel?

Regards
-=-
SCarlett

(Who has agreed with all your posts so far!)
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:00 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett in Texas
You've missed my point too - I don't believe in 'typical'.

I know a great many American women - and almost none of them are the way you describe. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Media aside, I can't say I see much difference between how shallow (or not) women (or men) are either side of the Pond. There are definite differences in the early stages of relationships (I'm talking friendships here), but once you get to the real person that stuff tends to melt away, don't you think?

I'm assuming people wanting to marry are wanting real relationships, of course...

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
I do agree with you, with one minor modification, there is no such thing as typical anything but there are some "typical" traits that you inevitably pick up from your environment. Always remember, stereotypes must have some basis in reality or they couldn't exist by definition.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:09 am
Resurrected member

Scarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura aboutScarlett in Texas has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by neil
I do agree with you, with one minor modification, there is no such thing as typical anything but there are some "typical" traits that you inevitably pick up from your environment. Always remember, stereotypes must have some basis in reality or they couldn't exist by definition.
Your logic is a little flawed, Neil Racism has no basis in reality but exists nonetheless. One might say the same of politics too. An idea does not need a basis in reality to exist or to be believed.

But after all, everything is illusion, and nothing exists. This is a great relief to anyone like me who finds the very idea of the present administration anathema!

Peace
-=-
Scarlett
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett in Texas
EEK! Did I do something bad? I thought Karma was a good thing to give. I thought it showed agreement??? Sorry Cindy, the karma button is new to me. SOmeone point me to a thread that tells me how it works....

Grovel?

Regards
-=-
SCarlett

(Who has agreed with all your posts so far!)
Aw Scarlett, bless! See'n as it's you and you are a MOST welcome back member-make sure and sign your karma so in turn the person knows who to thank or blame, lol.
I never did find a karma thread on instruction though I did look. The more you get the more little blue boxes you get. Apparently the more boxes you get the harder it is to get them. It also seems to be varying degrees as to how many points you get with each karma? They started that this past summer when they overhauled the site big time.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:11 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, my opinion. I am the british one married to american man. (the second one). And while I love my husband dearly, I get more conversation from this forum! I know its an individual thing, but in general I think there is a difference in that a British man is not so afraid to speak his feelings. And I do have many (british) male relatives who I talk to regularly who have no trouble saying how they feel. I think it has something to do with the macho sort of culture they are brought up in here. Of course there are always exceptions but something I have always noticed. I think most British men have a gentler way to them also which I think is a good thing. All in all, One of the many reasons I am glad I am returning to the UK is so my teenage daughter will one day find a nice British man!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:56 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

And here I was just trying to find someone to watch footie with.....

If I found an American guy who liked footie, British music, and wouldn't mind visiting the UK regularly, then sure, he'd be in with a chance

If I found a British guy who didn't like footie, that might be acceptable. The music is nearly non-negotiable because I go to a LOT of gigs.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 3:47 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Merits of British men vs American men?

Originally Posted by neil
I think one of the reasons there seem to be fewer American males married to British women is probably that British women are generally (although this is certainly not always the case) more independent-minded than American women and the culture here seems to promote gender stereotypes more than in the UK and American men are more threatened by thinking women. Consequently this might also explain why some women here like British men much more as they are the independent-minded ones.

I've thought of another reason though:

It could be that in terms of numbers, more British men go on expat assignments than British women (the glass ceiling and all that) - for example more men are in senior management roles than women and therefore more males get job offers/work permits to work overseas....and therefore meet local partners?

I certainly noticed in my years in Singapore that there were far more single expat men than women - from all corners of the world.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 4:07 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

It could be that in terms of numbers, more British men go on expat assignments than British women (the glass ceiling and all that) - for example more men are in senior management roles than women and therefore more males get job offers/work permits to work overseas....and therefore meet local partners?

I certainly noticed in my years in Singapore that there were far more single expat men than women - from all corners of the world.

True, although we have a slew of British men here working as expats at Ft Stewart-blue collar type jobs-they've been here over a year and are expected to be here for at least another year. Also we have JCB's North American HQ here in the area so some white collar Brits.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 4:27 am
Resurrected member

Aw Scarlett, bless! See'n as it's you and you are a MOST welcome back member-make sure and sign your karma so in turn the person knows who to thank or blame, lol.
I never did find a karma thread on instruction though I did look. The more you get the more little blue boxes you get. Apparently the more boxes you get the harder it is to get them. It also seems to be varying degrees as to how many points you get with each karma? They started that this past summer when they overhauled the site big time.
Oof, I just tried to give you some the proper way and it told me 'You mut spread some reputation around before giving it to Cindyabs again. Flippin' 'eck, it's worse than learning to ride a bike [grin!].

Thanks for the welcome, Cindy. I hope life's treating you kindly.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Mar 12th 2005, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I'll second that statement Cindy! From the British Women I know they just lay down and let the men boss them around, give total lip service, and then stand off in the corner and bitch and complain. The women I know personally are totally subservient to their men. I think it all has to do with a persons strenth of self and how and what type of atmosphere they were raised in. I can tell you first hand that I am THE FIRST WOMAN to stand up to Garry and call him on ALL OF HIS BULLSHIT! His mother says he can't get away with batting his eyelashes at me. I just won;t stand for it. He is a wonderful man, but we have had many of a discussion on what I expect and I expect RESPECT and someone that is willing to put forth 200% into our relationship just like me. I find, that having been married to TWO, YES Two American men that the British men ARE differnt, or else it's just their own particular personalities. I fond they believe that women are put on earth to take care of them and answer to their every whim. BOLLOX! He's in training camp now and doing well I might add. I love him dearly and with all my heart, but he will not for one instance get away with what he did in his previous relationship and he knows it. He says that's why he was attracted to me. I call him on all his crap! And believe you me, he calls me on mine too! I just don't have much........... I am a perfectly adjusted, INDEPENDENT American Woman! I would by the way LOVE to live in the UK. I have very successfully managed a number of Furniture Stores in the USA and have had 3 different offers in the UK. It is HIS choice to live here. I would sell it all and go tomorrow if he wanted to!
your man needing training camp has nothing to do with him being british its the welsh thing! i married a welshman and he was exactly the bloody same (expecting undying devotion and slavery) until he got put right on a few things! heheheh
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well then ask my husband, I immed him first in the UK chat room, . The rest is history,
Hey me too Cindy!!! If I'd left up to my husband we'd never have met. I was definitely the pursurer (sp) and I got what I wanted!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:09 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I'd put it more simply than the above. When men travel, with or without spouses or girlfriends, they're more likely to chat up a woman for friendship (and other things).

Women, IMHO, are less likely to behave like that with men....

NC Penguin
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

True, although we have a slew of British men here working as expats at Ft Stewart-blue collar type jobs-they've been here over a year and are expected to be here for at least another year. Also we have JCB's North American HQ here in the area so some white collar Brits.
All this in Richmond Hill, Georgia, eh?

We are about to be inundated with visitors from all over the world:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/newmusic/sxsw/

I find it a kick that radio stations and UK music magazines have a section about Austin every year If you go to British showcase nights it's just like being in the UK.

In general, I've found that I have to be the pursuer in a relationship with a British man, where the Americans will hound me to the end of the earth. But since I'm not a career dater, that's my experience. A friend told me that British men can be cool at first, but once you win them over, they won't leave you alone!

All of the relationships I know of personally have been founded over the Internet, and in every case, the woman relocated to the UK. There is a support group that my friends are on, and one day I hope to be there.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:10 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

OK, I'm a guy and just had to comment. I can seriously say most American women I meet swoon at my accent and are very forward in coming forward to tell me so - even with my wife around. They don't even know me but when I open my Gob, they literally swoon. It's quite funny and yet quite nice to be so compliment for at least one of my traits

So what I'm saying is, the difference is the accent.... to start with

I agree with what the others are saying, we are just all different. I guess the people here, whom at got off their ars....es to make a life in the USA, are probably of a different breed to the "white van man" - remember the white van man anyone ?
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

poeticjustice is an unknown quantity at this point

Good evening to all,
I am currently in the Canadian PR application phase. The reason for moving from the US to Canada is the following. I wish to live in a safer country, a country whose political views are somewhat inline with mine and there has to be gentlemen who are just that. I am an attractive Mom who would enjoy a gentleman to compliment my life and visa versa. I will not bash people of any country but I will say this; US mothers of sons need to raise their boys into men with strong values and into sensitive human beings not individuals looking for immediate gradification and ready to blame others for their poor choices! Thank you to all...good night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.