Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Meet The Parents

Meet The Parents

Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:29 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Rushman
I was born.

Like that is it? Been there. Screw em mate.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws don't speak English, which has its advanatages.

But one time my mother in law was watching a James Bond film (in English) so I thought I'd give her a quick plot synopsis by typing something on my computer and having it translated. I ran it through Babelfish and printed it out. She read it, and then looked at me in horror. My wife called just then and after a bit of talking, I got on the phone and she said:

"Why did you ask my mom if she would like to go to bed with you?"

Stupid computer....
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Like that is it? Been there. Screw em mate.
If it's gotta pulse he will.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If it's gotta pulse he will.
You're mistaking me for either Thydney or AWP
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:01 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
You're mistaking me for either Thydney or AWP
I'm saying nowt!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

My OH was never to keen on me meeting his Parents, and when I did I could not believe my then to be Husband came from them he was embarrassed about them or should I say ashamed.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:23 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by britvic
My OH was never to keen on me meeting his Parents, and when I did I could not believe my then to be Husband came from them he was embarrassed about them or should I say ashamed.
That's pretty sad - if you don't mind me saying
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

when my OSC OH first met my parents she spent the entire weekend asking me to translate... the second time it went better ... after 3 weeks (they were over for 5) she could understand my dad.... third time my mum came over for 6 weeks on her own...

my pure spoken Green Bay wife now knows how to speak proper yorkshire and understand said accent through false teeth, no teeth and whilst munching on digestives... she's even started coining a few phrases....
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:51 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

This one is quite embarrassing as it shows my naivety!!!

I went with my then boyfriend, now OH, to Alberta on holiday. Whilst there, we stayed with his folks. As I am a 'horsey' person, it was decided that we should go to Spruce Meadows (which was fabulous BTW).
His Mother asked me if I would like to BORROW a FANNY PACK..., okay, I had NO idea what this meant, so I came to the totally wrong conclusion that she was LENDING me a SANITORY TOWEL... (couldn't get over the 'lending' bit...)
After much stuttering, I replied that I was okay and didn't need one.
I decided to confide in my then boyfriend, and you can imagine the aftermath of it all... yes, I am STILL reminded of that one today!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

My OH should have been ashamed of his parents, but he isn't!
Man that was a shock to my system the day I met my MIL
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
This one is quite embarrassing as it shows my naivety!!!

I went with my then boyfriend, now OH, to Alberta on holiday. Whilst there, we stayed with his folks. As I am a 'horsey' person, it was decided that we should go to Spruce Meadows (which was fabulous BTW).
His Mother asked me if I would like to BORROW a FANNY PACK..., okay, I had NO idea what this meant, so I came to the totally wrong conclusion that she was LENDING me a SANITORY TOWEL... (couldn't get over the 'lending' bit...)
After much stuttering, I replied that I was okay and didn't need one.
I decided to confide in my then boyfriend, and you can imagine the aftermath of it all... yes, I am STILL reminded of that one today!
PMSL bet you were thinking mind your own bloody business!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
My OH should have been ashamed of his parents, but he isn't!
Man that was a shock to my system the day I met my MIL
Oh dear, so Hub's dont see your point of view then We have not seen them for years, OH is there only child, they are Bible Basher's so we like things the way they are.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear, so Hub's dont see your point of view then We have not seen them for years, OH is there only child, they are Bible Basher's so we like things the way they are.
My MIL is just er how should I put this politely..... off her ****** rocker!!! not in a good way! I like things the way they are too her in UK me in Texas!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Where's Sarah when you need her?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:28 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
PMSL bet you were thinking mind your own bloody business!
You know... I was SO shocked at the time!!!
I had been told that Canadians have a saying... a stranger is a friend you just haven't met yet... and I thought that was lovely!
But my little episode was overkill!!!
I still wince at this story, but it is funny, and that's the only reason I shared!!!