British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Meet The Parents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/meet-parents-437187/)

Silly Sod Mar 25th 2007 12:48 am

Meet The Parents

As I am currently watching the movie Meet The Parents, I thought I would start this thread. This film was very much in my head when I first met my wifes folks. I am from a little two up two down in a rough inner city (as many of you know) while her pops is a doctor with a house by a lake fit for a rock star. (yeah yeah, landed on me feet aint I :p )

Anyway, for the first couple of months I was terrified of breaking something. I used to constantly walk in to sliding screens which was a bit embarrassing, but I never actually broke anything.

However, when I first met her uncle's folks, we were having a big family dinner and I went to use the toilet (for a brad pitt) which was right off the dining room. I hate having a brad in someone elses house, specially in this situation, but I was desperate.

Came to find, after filling the bowl (sorry to be graphic) that it wouldn't flush away for some reason. I was mortified. I crept back into the dining room and tried desperately to whisper this to my wife without anybody catching on. Luckily their youngest son went in right after me so I figured he would get the blame. It was a real Meet The Parents type of moment. Anyone else got any humurous or cringeworthy tales of meeting their spouses family?

If not just ignore me.

Texas Mom Mar 25th 2007 12:57 am

Re: Meet The Parents

My folks first met my OH in the casualty department of the local hospital.
We had only been going out a couple of weeks so hadn't met each others folks yet. Anyway it was a lovely summers day and we decided to head for the coast but I never even got as far as the end of the street as I crashed into the back of a parked van. OH hit the wind screen and I had pain in my back so an ambulance was called and we were taken off to A&E.
The police turned up at my folks work to inform them of the accident and they arrived at A&E to meet the new boyfie!!! :rofl:
That was eight years ago and he still goes on about the time I tried to kill him! (didn't try bloody hard enough)!

Silly Sod Mar 25th 2007 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Texas Mom (Post 4557578)
My folks first met my OH in the casualty department of the local hospital.
We had only been going out a couple of weeks so hadn't met each others folks yet. Anyway it was a lovely summers day and we decided to head for the coast but I never even got as far as the end of the street as I crashed into the back of a parked van. OH hit the wind screen and I had pain in my back so an ambulance was called and we were taken off to A&E.
The police turned up at my folks work to inform them of the accident and they arrived at A&E to meet the new boyfie!!! :rofl:
That was eight years ago and he still goes on about the time I tried to kill him! (didn't try bloody hard enough)!

I bet they loved him!!! :)

Texas Mom Mar 25th 2007 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4557611)
I bet they loved him!!! :)

Oh yeah, they're just as enthusiastic to this day!!! ;)

Silly Sod Mar 25th 2007 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Texas Mom (Post 4557617)
Oh yeah, they're just as enthusiastic to this day!!! ;)

As this is such a pi$$ boring thread I am going to take it slightly off topic in the hope of saving face :) - or perhaps just widen it a little. For e.g. Five years ago I was seeing a girl. She had been educated at oxford, was a successful journalist (I know, I always manage to pull above me station guvnor ha ha) and her folks were pretty posh and owned their own business. Of course they hated me. Some scally from Salford dating their precious daughter!!!

When I first went to their house for 'dinner' - we call it tea where I come form and we have it at fiveish rather than eight pm. So, after fielding questions about my background - dad a bus driver, mum a dinner lady (both bleedin fantastic, hard working, honest loving parents) and not making any friends what so ever, it was finally time to eat. The dinner was lovely and I was hank marvin by that point, roast beef and all that kind of stuff (it was a sunday). I chowed down and, within minutes and with very little left on me plate, I looked up to find that they had all barely started. I had to save one boiled potato for 15 minutes, slicing razor thin bits off it.

Suffice to say the relationship was a disaster and, thankfully we split before too long. Thankfully because I might never have met my gorgeous, smart, caring, sexy, perfect wife otherwise. The girl was okay, just a nasty stuck up family. Oh well, live and learn I guess :)

Anyone else got any stories of horrible partners families? :) :) :)

Rushman Mar 25th 2007 2:33 am

My inlaws think Im the spawn of Lucifer.

Silly Sod Mar 25th 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4557729)

I think you are the spawn of lucifer Rushy. All of BE thinks you are the spawn of lucifer. Damn, you are the spawn of lucifer!!! :)

What did you do to pee them off?

Jerseygirl Mar 25th 2007 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4557719)
As this is such a pi$$ boring thread I am going to take it slightly off topic in the hope of saving face - or perhaps just widen it a little. For e.g. Five years ago I was seeing a girl. She had been educated at oxford, was a successful journalist (I know, I always manage to pull above me station guvnor ha ha) and her folks were pretty posh and owned their own business. Of course they hated me. Some scally from Salford dating their precious daughter!!!

When I first went to their house for 'dinner' - we call it tea where I come form and we have it at fiveish rather than eight pm. So, after fielding questions about my background - dad a bus driver, mum a dinner lady (both bleedin fantastic, hard working, honest loving parents) and not making any friends what so ever, it was finally time to eat. The dinner was lovely and I was hank marvin by that point, roast beef and all that kind of stuff (it was a sunday). I chowed down and, within minutes and with very little left on me plate, I looked up to find that they had all barely started. I had to save one boiled potato for 15 minutes, slicing razor thin bits off it.

Suffice to say the relationship was a disaster and, thankfully we split before too long. Thankfully because I might never have met my gorgeous, smart, caring, sexy, perfect wife otherwise. The girl was okay, just a nasty stuck up family. Oh well, live and learn I guess :)

Anyone else got any stories of horrible partners families? :) :)

Silly Sod...Saturdays are usually slow on BE. Don't beat yourself up about it Silly Sod :sneaky: FWIW I think it's a great idea for a thread. :thumbsup:

I was going to say you'd have been better posting this in the Lounge...but by tomorrow morning Ray would have killed it off with his weekend pics. :lol:

Bob Mar 25th 2007 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4557729)

no thinking involved I'd have thought...

Ray Mar 25th 2007 2:58 am

The first time I went to see Joycee mother...everytime I said anything she turned to Joycee and said 'wadd he say'....and Joycee had to translate

10 years on... still the bleeding same ...she has never understood one
word I have ever said to her ...

Silly Sod Mar 25th 2007 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4557757)
Silly Sod...Saturdays are usually slow on BE. Don't beat yourself up about it Silly Sod :sneaky: FWIW I think it's a great idea for a thread. :thumbsup:

I was going to say you'd have been better posting this in the Lounge...but by tomorrow morning Ray would have killed it off with his weekend pics. :lol:

Bloody Ray and his bloody weekend pics!!!! I was thinking it might have been better in the Trailer park or Lounge myself though. Feel free to move it if you like hun :)

Ray Mar 25th 2007 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4557773)
Bloody Ray and his bloody weekend pics!!!! I)

Do you want to re-phrase that ....

its TIO day today anyway ,..

Jerseygirl Mar 25th 2007 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4557773)
Bloody Ray and his bloody weekend pics!!!! I was thinking it might have been better in the Trailer park or Lounge myself though. Feel free to move it if you like hun :)

I can't Silly Sod :lol: this is Bob's forum...you'll have to ask him. Best wait until tomorrow...Ray's pics remember? ;)

BTW you are a Silly Sod. :rofl:

Silly Sod Mar 25th 2007 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4557786)
I can't Silly Sod :lol: this is Bob's forum...you'll have to ask him. Best wait until tomorrow...Ray's pics remember? ;)

BTW you are a Silly Sod. :rofl:

Eek - I am a silly sod, I didn't think Ray would catch me haw haw. Sorry Ray. Your pics are mint :)

Rushman Mar 25th 2007 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4557753)
What did you do to pee them off?

I was born.