Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Meet The Parents

Meet The Parents

Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:48 am
  #1  
Bugger Off!
Thread Starter
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meet The Parents

As I am currently watching the movie Meet The Parents, I thought I would start this thread. This film was very much in my head when I first met my wifes folks. I am from a little two up two down in a rough inner city (as many of you know) while her pops is a doctor with a house by a lake fit for a rock star. (yeah yeah, landed on me feet aint I )

Anyway, for the first couple of months I was terrified of breaking something. I used to constantly walk in to sliding screens which was a bit embarrassing, but I never actually broke anything.

However, when I first met her uncle's folks, we were having a big family dinner and I went to use the toilet (for a brad pitt) which was right off the dining room. I hate having a brad in someone elses house, specially in this situation, but I was desperate.

Came to find, after filling the bowl (sorry to be graphic) that it wouldn't flush away for some reason. I was mortified. I crept back into the dining room and tried desperately to whisper this to my wife without anybody catching on. Luckily their youngest son went in right after me so I figured he would get the blame. It was a real Meet The Parents type of moment. Anyone else got any humurous or cringeworthy tales of meeting their spouses family?

If not just ignore me.
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:57 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Texas Mom's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: EK to DFW
Posts: 1,725
Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

My folks first met my OH in the casualty department of the local hospital.
We had only been going out a couple of weeks so hadn't met each others folks yet. Anyway it was a lovely summers day and we decided to head for the coast but I never even got as far as the end of the street as I crashed into the back of a parked van. OH hit the wind screen and I had pain in my back so an ambulance was called and we were taken off to A&E.
The police turned up at my folks work to inform them of the accident and they arrived at A&E to meet the new boyfie!!!
That was eight years ago and he still goes on about the time I tried to kill him! (didn't try bloody hard enough)!
Texas Mom is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:11 am
  #3  
Bugger Off!
Thread Starter
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Texas Mom View Post
My folks first met my OH in the casualty department of the local hospital.
We had only been going out a couple of weeks so hadn't met each others folks yet. Anyway it was a lovely summers day and we decided to head for the coast but I never even got as far as the end of the street as I crashed into the back of a parked van. OH hit the wind screen and I had pain in my back so an ambulance was called and we were taken off to A&E.
The police turned up at my folks work to inform them of the accident and they arrived at A&E to meet the new boyfie!!!
That was eight years ago and he still goes on about the time I tried to kill him! (didn't try bloody hard enough)!
I bet they loved him!!!
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:14 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Texas Mom's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: EK to DFW
Posts: 1,725
Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
I bet they loved him!!!
Oh yeah, they're just as enthusiastic to this day!!!
Texas Mom is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:23 am
  #5  
Bugger Off!
Thread Starter
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Texas Mom View Post
Oh yeah, they're just as enthusiastic to this day!!!
As this is such a pi$$ boring thread I am going to take it slightly off topic in the hope of saving face - or perhaps just widen it a little. For e.g. Five years ago I was seeing a girl. She had been educated at oxford, was a successful journalist (I know, I always manage to pull above me station guvnor ha ha) and her folks were pretty posh and owned their own business. Of course they hated me. Some scally from Salford dating their precious daughter!!!


When I first went to their house for 'dinner' - we call it tea where I come form and we have it at fiveish rather than eight pm. So, after fielding questions about my background - dad a bus driver, mum a dinner lady (both bleedin fantastic, hard working, honest loving parents) and not making any friends what so ever, it was finally time to eat. The dinner was lovely and I was hank marvin by that point, roast beef and all that kind of stuff (it was a sunday). I chowed down and, within minutes and with very little left on me plate, I looked up to find that they had all barely started. I had to save one boiled potato for 15 minutes, slicing razor thin bits off it.

Suffice to say the relationship was a disaster and, thankfully we split before too long. Thankfully because I might never have met my gorgeous, smart, caring, sexy, perfect wife otherwise. The girl was okay, just a nasty stuck up family. Oh well, live and learn I guess

Anyone else got any stories of horrible partners families?
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:33 am
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Meet The Parents

My inlaws think Im the spawn of Lucifer.
Rushman is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:47 am
  #7  
Bugger Off!
Thread Starter
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Rushman View Post
My inlaws think Im the spawn of Lucifer.
I think you are the spawn of lucifer Rushy. All of BE thinks you are the spawn of lucifer. Damn, you are the spawn of lucifer!!!

What did you do to pee them off?
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:51 am
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,122
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
As this is such a pi$$ boring thread I am going to take it slightly off topic in the hope of saving face - or perhaps just widen it a little. For e.g. Five years ago I was seeing a girl. She had been educated at oxford, was a successful journalist (I know, I always manage to pull above me station guvnor ha ha) and her folks were pretty posh and owned their own business. Of course they hated me. Some scally from Salford dating their precious daughter!!!


When I first went to their house for 'dinner' - we call it tea where I come form and we have it at fiveish rather than eight pm. So, after fielding questions about my background - dad a bus driver, mum a dinner lady (both bleedin fantastic, hard working, honest loving parents) and not making any friends what so ever, it was finally time to eat. The dinner was lovely and I was hank marvin by that point, roast beef and all that kind of stuff (it was a sunday). I chowed down and, within minutes and with very little left on me plate, I looked up to find that they had all barely started. I had to save one boiled potato for 15 minutes, slicing razor thin bits off it.

Suffice to say the relationship was a disaster and, thankfully we split before too long. Thankfully because I might never have met my gorgeous, smart, caring, sexy, perfect wife otherwise. The girl was okay, just a nasty stuck up family. Oh well, live and learn I guess

Anyone else got any stories of horrible partners families?
Silly Sod...Saturdays are usually slow on BE. Don't beat yourself up about it Silly Sod FWIW I think it's a great idea for a thread.

I was going to say you'd have been better posting this in the Lounge...but by tomorrow morning Ray would have killed it off with his weekend pics.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:51 am
  #9  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,725
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Rushman View Post
My inlaws think Im the spawn of Lucifer.
no thinking involved I'd have thought...
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:58 am
  #10  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

The first time I went to see Joycee mother...everytime I said anything she turned to Joycee and said 'wadd he say'....and Joycee had to translate

10 years on... still the bleeding same ...she has never understood one
word I have ever said to her ...
Ray is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:59 am
  #11  
Bugger Off!
Thread Starter
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Silly Sod...Saturdays are usually slow on BE. Don't beat yourself up about it Silly Sod FWIW I think it's a great idea for a thread.

I was going to say you'd have been better posting this in the Lounge...but by tomorrow morning Ray would have killed it off with his weekend pics.
Bloody Ray and his bloody weekend pics!!!! I was thinking it might have been better in the Trailer park or Lounge myself though. Feel free to move it if you like hun
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:01 am
  #12  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
Bloody Ray and his bloody weekend pics!!!! I)
Do you want to re-phrase that ....

its TIO day today anyway ,..
Ray is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:03 am
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,122
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
Bloody Ray and his bloody weekend pics!!!! I was thinking it might have been better in the Trailer park or Lounge myself though. Feel free to move it if you like hun
I can't Silly Sod this is Bob's forum...you'll have to ask him. Best wait until tomorrow...Ray's pics remember?

BTW you are a Silly Sod.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:09 am
  #14  
Bugger Off!
Thread Starter
 
Silly Sod's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,858
Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I can't Silly Sod this is Bob's forum...you'll have to ask him. Best wait until tomorrow...Ray's pics remember?

BTW you are a Silly Sod.
Eek - I am a silly sod, I didn't think Ray would catch me haw haw. Sorry Ray. Your pics are mint
Silly Sod is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:18 am
  #15  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Meet The Parents

Originally Posted by Silly Sod View Post
What did you do to pee them off?
I was born.
Rushman is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.