Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Making my son UK Citizen

Making my son UK Citizen

Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making my son UK Citizen

Originally Posted by kins
Will they though?

My lot each have a US passport that says they're born in the UK. So they'd be entering as UK citizens.
Being born in the UK doesn't necessarily make them UK citizens...even so if they enter using a foreign PP they enter as visitors. If they use a UK PP they enter as UK citizens.

Renee...the only advantage I can think of with using a UK PP is the length of stay.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Being born in the UK doesn't necessarily make them UK citizens...even so if they enter using a foreign PP they enter as visitors. If they use a UK PP they enter as UK citizens.
Let me get this right.

My UK-born children, with two British parents, and a British birth certificate, enter the country on a US passport.

They are now no longer UK citizens? They have to leave the country when their visitor visa runs out? They are not entitled to be included in tax credit, child benefit claims, etc?

That sounds wrong...
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Let me get this right.

My UK-born children, with two British parents, and a British birth certificate, enter the country on a US passport.

They are now no longer UK citizens? They have to leave the country when their visitor visa runs out? They are not entitled to be included in tax credit, child benefit claims, etc?

That sounds wrong...
Unless they change status once they are in the UK yes. In the MBTTUK forum people returning to the UK to live are always advised to enter with UK PPs. It's far easier to do that than change status afterwards.

I've only entered the UK using my US PP once. The immigration officer asked what the purpose of my visit was...bloomin' cheek I thought to hell with that. From then on I've always used my UK PP...my husband on the other hand uses his US PP.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they change status once they are in the UK yes. In the MBTTUK forum people returning to the UK to live are always advised to enter with UK PPs. It's far easier to do that than change status afterwards.
I'm sure it's easier to enter on a UK passport - that would be my main reason for keeping the UK passports, just in case we had to move back in a hurry.

But having bounced back and forth across the Atlantic a few times, once in the UK no one has ever shown the slightest interest in seeing anyone's passports in order to ascertain their immigration status, because we're all UK citizens and can prove that with birth certificates/naturalisation certificates.

So I'm confused as to how you stop being a UK citizen just because you enter the country on a visitor visa.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Let me get this right.

That sounds wrong...
They'd be considered US citizens. There'd be a way to change things up, but the cost and hassle wouldn't be worth it. Much easier to enter on UK passports if they plan to stay longer than 6 months or wanted to work.

And just because they are born in the UK, with a UK birth cert, and have UK parents, doesn't prove that they are UK citizens, if either of you had both gotten citizenship by decent for example, you'd not automatically have transferred citizenship to your kids.

Easiest way to prove they are UK citizens is with a UK passport.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm confused as to how you stop being a UK citizen just because you enter the country on a visitor visa.
You don't stop being a UK citizen. But you are admitted to the country as a visitor, not as a UK citizen, so you'd not be entitled to benefits of a citizen until the status has been sorted out.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't stop being a UK citizen. But you are admitted to the country as a visitor, not as a UK citizen, so you'd not be entitled to benefits of a citizen until the status has been sorted out.
But no one asks to see passports as proof of entitlement to benefits. Which is good, because millions of people don't have them...
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
And just because they are born in the UK, with a UK birth cert, and have UK parents, doesn't prove that they are UK citizens, if either of you had both gotten citizenship by decent for example, you'd not automatically have transferred citizenship to your kids.
But the children would have expired UK passports so they are clearly UK citizens. Not to mention their UK birth certificates, their UK place of birth, my UK birth certificate, etc etc.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm sure it's easier to enter on a UK passport - that would be my main reason for keeping the UK passports, just in case we had to move back in a hurry.

But having bounced back and forth across the Atlantic a few times, once in the UKno one has ever shown the slightest interest in seeing anyone's passports in order to ascertain their immigration status , because we're all UK citizens and can prove that with birth certificates/naturalisation certificates.

Are you saying no one's looked at your PP when you've passed through UK immigration?

Of course you are a UK citizen and you can prove it without a UK PP. I believe you can even enter the UK without a PP as long as you can prove you're a Brit. You may be detained for a while but you can't be refused entry. But as far as the authorities are concerned if you enter the UK using a foreign PP you are a visitor until you adjust status. I know it doesn't really make sense...maybe that's the reason you must enter the US using your US PP if you're a USC...you can't enter using your UK PP.

BTW one time last year when I entered using my UK PP the IO asked which country my UK PP was issued in. Of course he knew it was issued from the UK Embassy in Washington DC...but that didn't stop him asking me.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 9th 2010 at 12:05 am.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Are you saying no one's looked at your PP when you've passed through UK immigration?
I said 'once in the UK' meaning after passing through immigration...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

But the children would have expired UK passports so they are clearly UK citizens. Not to mention their UK birth certificates, their UK place of birth, my UK birth certificate, etc etc.
I think what Bob is trying to say is there are instances where the mother and father are UK citizens but they cannot pass their citizenship onto their children because they are Brits by descent. I'm not saying this is your or your children's situation...it's an example. Just as a child born in the UK doesn't always have UK citizenship. It depends on the circumstances.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know you don't NEED to get him a British passport. In fact I'm not entirely convinced that my kids really need them, especially considering the price and hassle of renewing them every five years.

But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise...
When someone tries to apply for a first time British passport as an adult, it takes a lot of hassle (usually over proof of ID) and can often take months to sort out.

As a minimum you should obtain:

1. UK consular birth certificate; and
2. a FIRST British passport (don't throw it out once expired).

After that, it's optional as to whether you keep British passports up to date, as long as children always have valid US passports.