Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York City hotels...any good tips...

New York City hotels...any good tips...

Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:37 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default New York City hotels...any good tips...

we'll be going to NY in August...first time and we'll be doing the whole touristy bit with 3 kids...I am sure it will be fun...
anybody knows a nice hotel that is conveniently located, doesn't have to be a chain type hotel...
I know I can google and there will be loads coming up, but I am hoping one of you can actually recommend from experience...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York City hotels...any good tips...

Marriott Marquis on Times Square, Marriott Courtyard Times Square South (40th Street). I've stayed in both. The Courtyard is much smaller, and a decent value for NYC. The Marquis is huge, contains bars, restaurants, fairly large workout room.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: New York City hotels...any good tips...

I haven't stayed there myself (as it's just 35 mins for us by train to get to NYC) but my sister's friend and her family loved the Embassy Suites hotel as they got a great deal on it which left them with lots of extra spending money. (I've stayed at other Embassy Suites hotels, so you should find very spacious, 2 room suites - unlike most NYC rooms which are tiny) with a free cooked breakfast, free drinks and snacks in the early evening. There is a seperate bedroom (and sofabeds) so lots of privacy for the parents!

There is a cinemaplex adjacent and it is very convenient for Battery Park (for ferries to the Statue of Liberty), WTC, Chinatown etc.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...RKJACSGBJBNEWQ

Location (there are a number of Subway/Underground) stops nearby:

http://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/cont...ES_mapcard.pdf

You might also want to check the hotels in this group and see if you can get interconnecting rooms:

http://www.applecorehotels.com

I used to do voluntary work at Newark airport and this place is very popular with international airline crews for their leisure breaks:

http://www.radiocityapartments.com/

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Before you decide on which hotel, take a look at the bed bug registry or something like that name to stop you coming home with stowaways.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to do the touristy thing fine, but don't forget there are some great things to see in the other boroughs.

For example, stay at the Marriot Brooklyn Bridge you've got the Borough hall subway station right there that can get you anywhere, or just walk across the bridge itself.

Spent three years living in Brooklyn and much preferred it over Manhattan and particularly Times Square which I avoided like the plague.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
we'll be going to NY in August...first time and we'll be doing the whole touristy bit with 3 kids...I am sure it will be fun...
anybody knows a nice hotel that is conveniently located, doesn't have to be a chain type hotel...
I know I can google and there will be loads coming up, but I am hoping one of you can actually recommend from experience...
Try the "Park Central" Hotel at the corner of 7th Avenue and W 55th Street. It's across the street from Carnegie Hall, and about a 10 minute walk from Times Square.

I stayed there for 3 nights, 3 weeks ago. Not bad. Rooms a bit on the small side, but, clean and quiet.

Rooms closer to TS will be way up in price.

Jim.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I've stayed at:

Marriott Marquis
Renaissance Times Square
Fairfield Inn Times Sq
Courtyard Times Sq South
Courtyard Midtown East
Courtyard Fifth Avenue
Marriott East Side
Marriott Downtown
Marriott Brooklyn Bridge

And, while the locations were all spread around, each was fine. There are few bad locations in Manhattan as the sights are well spread about and public transit and taxis are both cheap and plentiful.

Hotel prices can are very elastic in New York, and a hotel twice as good can be half the price of a lower-end hotel that happens to have high occupancy due to a conference etc. This is why it's impossible to give generalized recommendations about value for money unless you're very specific indeed about features and location etc. that you're looking for.

The best strategy IMO is to look at hotels on TripAdvisor and sort them by the rank TA awards them based on reviews. Then cross-check to prices for the dates of your trip (also available on TA). Once you've narrowed it down to the top 3-5 or so that seem to give a good balance of price vs. popularity then read a bunch of reviews (to check for turn-ons or turn-offs) and also have a gander at the hotel's own website to see if it's cheaper (TA pulls its prices from 3rd party consolidators like Expedia etc.) Even if prices are identical it's almost always best to book directly with the hotel as cancellation policies etc. can be more relaxed.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:12 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everybody...will check all your suggestions out!
There is certainly a wide range in prices for what seem to be similar type hotels...
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to go with my favorite I won't stay anywhere else this place is magical and makes me go all mushy when I am there ..It's like stepping back in time, wonderful hotel cannot recommend it enough.

http://www.theroosevelthotel.com/
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:19 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
It's like stepping back in time,
there was a 8 year old cleaning the chimney?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 4:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to go with my favorite I won't stay anywhere else this place is magical and makes me go all mushy when I am there ..It's like stepping back in time, wonderful hotel cannot recommend it enough.

That is a nice hotel...so are these.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...?propertyID=81

http://www.tajhotels.com/luxury/The%...York/rooms.asp
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I stayed here, it's a lovely hotel and I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to NYC.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I stayed here, it's a lovely hotel and I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to NYC.
I like it because it is unique and has character which many others lack.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in New York last may we stayed at a place called The Warwick

http://warwickhotelny.com/

Nice hotel in a great location. Unfortunately the room had a wonderful view of a brick wall and we couldn't tell if it was day or night which is a little confusing when you're jet lagged
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
When I was in New York last may we stayed at a place called The Warwick

http://warwickhotelny.com/

Nice hotel in a great location. Unfortunately the room had a wonderful view of a brick wall and we couldn't tell if it was day or night which is a little confusing when you're jet lagged
Even in the best city hotels you're likely to get the same unless you're paying for a super duper ultra deluxe top of the line suite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.