Reload this Page >

Making my son UK Citizen

Making my son UK Citizen

Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

stepowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making my son UK Citizen

Guys,

I am a UK citizen now a resident in the U.S . My son was born in the u.s and is 3 years old. I want to make him a dual citizen.
Has anyone every done this ? The websites make hard work of it. I am wondering if form MN1 is the correct application ?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making my son UK Citizen

Originally Posted by stepowell
I want to make him a dual citizen.
He already IS a dual citizen. What you're after, is proof that he's a UK citizen (since being born in the US automatically made him a USC).

I am wondering if form MN1 is the correct application ?
Yes. You could also just apply for a UK passport for him... and go from there!

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the OP has not posted enough information to determine if the son is indeed a British citizen (e.g. if the OP was not born or naturalised in the UK, then this may not be the case).
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I was born in the u.k and lived there for 30 years.

thanks guys

Originally Posted by Marocco
Actually, the OP has not posted enough information to determine if the son is indeed a British citizen (e.g. if the OP was not born or naturalised in the UK, then this may not be the case).
Old Jul 8th 2010, 5:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepowell
Guys,

I am a UK citizen now a resident in the U.S . My son was born in the u.s and is 3 years old. I want to make him a dual citizen.
Has anyone every done this ? The websites make hard work of it. I am wondering if form MN1 is the correct application ?
Read, absorb, etc,
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JAJ, so it I just need to get get him a british passport then using form c2. This is the 1st time application if you are :

* aged 15 or younger and
* a UK Citizen applying overseas or
* a British Overseas Territories Citizen or
* a British Overseas Citizen or
* a British Protected Person.

Correct ?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know you don't NEED to get him a British passport. In fact I'm not entirely convinced that my kids really need them, especially considering the price and hassle of renewing them every five years.

But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise...
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
As far as I know you don't NEED to get him a British passport. In fact I'm not entirely convinced that my kids really need them, especially considering the price and hassle of renewing them every five years.

Kins - I'm not in the USA but the rules are pretty much the same and like you I have never really seen the necessity in getting my kids a British passport and paying out to renew it every five years - but I am going to do it soon and I'll explain why.

My daughter is now 10. If I get her a passport now it will run out when she is 15 and I will have to apply for the renewal that will last just another 5 years.

If I wait until she is 11 then it is just as easy (and just as expensive) as her British mother to get her a passport that will expire when she is 16. At 16 she can then apply for a simple renewal and get a 10 year adult's British passport.

If I don't do this, and at some point in the future she wants or needs a British passport she will have to apply herself as an adult and as a first time applicant and that will probably include a personal interview somewhere and more paperwork.

A renewal of an existing passport already in her name is much easier than a first time applicant. I hope that makes sense.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They will need a British passport if they ever want to go to the UK....otherwise they'll be entering as a USC tourist with limitations, not as a British citizen.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They will need a British passport if they ever want to go to the UK....otherwise they'll be entering as a USC tourist with limitations, not as a British citizen.

Rene
As a visitor to the UK I don't think there's any advantage using a UK PP....unless they are returning as British residents then they should use their UK PP.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Will they though?

My lot each have a US passport that says they're born in the UK. So they'd be entering as UK citizens.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If I don't do this, and at some point in the future she wants or needs a British passport she will have to apply herself as an adult and as a first time applicant and that will probably include a personal interview somewhere and more paperwork.

A renewal of an existing passport already in her name is much easier than a first time applicant. I hope that makes sense.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about it that way... maybe I am convinced...
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Will they though?

My lot each have a US passport that says they're born in the UK. So they'd be entering as UK citizens.
Ah, I had never realized that would be acceptable. Oh...yours were born in the UK. The OP's were born in the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Will they though?

Birth in the UK isn't proof of UK citizenship though as the UK ain't like the US in that respect.

But as you said, not much difference unless it's a permanent move as they are allowed to visit for\ 6 months, makes it easier to take part in workers holiday visa for other countries though.

Main thing about getting a UK passport, it's a lot easier now with the proof at hand than when you are dead. Also the reason to get the consular birth cert, in case they lose their UK passport down the line, makes getting a new passport a breeze in comparison.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Will they though?

The fact that the US passport states they were born in the UK means nothing -- they are still US citizens as they enter the UK unless they do so on a British passport. The first time I went to the UK after naturalizing I wasn't sure what to do and used my US passport to enter. The person looking at it obviously saw where I was born, and asked why I hadn't kept up my UK passport! I've used it at that end ever since. I think you'd be doing them a big favor if you got them a UK passport right away and kept it up, rather than having to sort it out down the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.