Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mail opening

Mail opening

Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:02 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail opening

The Uk Customs do not have an absolute right to do it there are certain documents that should not be opened without the addresseee being present ie those containing information between a legal representative and client that concerns a trial etc.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:22 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
The Uk Customs do not have an absolute right to do it there are certain documents that should not be opened without the addresseee being present ie those containing information between a legal representative and client that concerns a trial etc.
But how can they know what's in it until they've open it and read it ?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thydney
And diplomatic bags.

On the subject of 9/11 it could have been completely foiled had we banned all planes prior to that event.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And diplomatic bags.

On the subject of 9/11 it could have been completely foiled had we banned all planes prior to that event.
I heard something you'd like the other day.

Someone suggested we require all airline passengers to carry firearms on commercial flights, with appropriate ammunition.

No one will try taking over a plane full of armed passengers would they?

Last edited by anotherlimey; Jan 11th 2006 at 7:36 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:31 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

And diplomatic bags.

Or if Jamie Gerelic and the Clinton White house had allowed communication of intelligence between the FBI and the CIA.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:35 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Someone suggested we require all airline passengers to carry firearms on commercial flights, with appropriate ammunition.

No one will try taking over a plane full or armed passengers would they?
hahaha, now that's funny! I'm guessing it was a gun happy American that came up with that genius!!!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

No one will try taking over a plane full or armed passengers would they?
I've always said allow CCW holders to carry their weapons on them during a flight. Would prevent pretty much all takeovers. 9/11 would've been a different scenario if there had been a dozen or so armed and trainined passengers on board each plane.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
hahaha, now that's funny! I'm guessing it was a gun happy American that came up with that genius!!!
Not ALL passengers. Just those already trained in the use of firearms and have already cleared FBI and LE background checks. Ie Concealed weapons license holders.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:40 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Not ALL passengers. Just those already trained in the use of firearms and have already cleared FBI and LE background checks. Ie Concealed weapons license holders.
Doesn't make them sane or clever people. This is a bad idea.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Well generally it makes them as sane as can be hoped. I assume you wouldnt feel safe then knowing that some passengers were legally armed, having been trained in the use of firearms and undergone extensive background checks?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

It was an intereseting argument, but the anti side won in the end because you couldn't ensure a number of things, among them:

1) Ammunition type enforcement
2) Calibres of firearm
etc...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:52 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Well generally it makes them as sane as can be hoped. I assume you wouldnt feel safe then knowing that some passengers were legally armed, having been trained in the use of firearms and undergone extensive background checks?
I recall a flight shortly after 9/11, there was an entire College rugby team on the flight, in addition to a bunch of Middle Eastern looking young males. They had actually put the football team at the back of the plane and the ME guys right up front.

I am no rocket scientist, but couldn't you maybe just put the football players/army/young healthy strong dudes up front...might make it harder to storm the cockpit, no?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:53 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

I can just see them now shooting off a few rounds into the air aobve them to get everyone to stop panicking.... and putting a number of holes in the fuselage at the same time ! .... hmmmm maybe it's not such a good idea !
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:54 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Being trained in the use of firearms are you also taught how to stop someone taking the gun off of you.

If you pull a weapon then you have got to be prepared to use it ,otherwise that weapon might get taken off of you and used on you.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ironporer
I recall a flight shortly after 9/11, there was an entire College rugby team on the flight, in addition to a bunch of Middle Eastern looking young males. They had actually put the football team at the back of the plane and the ME guys right up front.

I am no rocket scientist, but couldn't you maybe just put the football players/army/young healthy strong dudes up front...might make it harder to storm the cockpit, no?
That's profiling which doesn't always work, especially against terrorists who know you are doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.