Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost Green card

Wikiposts

Lost Green card

Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:03 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Green card

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
On what?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 7:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You are required to carry your GC with you at all times ...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:44 am
Just Joined

frider is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Lost Green card

"Veronica Jayne"

Yes...but I am riding there...not flying
( though even at 50+MPG it MAY be cheaper flying!!!!)
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:46 am
Just Joined

"Ray"
Thats what concerned me..........
but since it got "barbied"............

I guess I am taking a chance/making a choice.............
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:30 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frider
"Veronica Jayne"

Yes...but I am riding there...not flying
( though even at 50+MPG it MAY be cheaper flying!!!!)
Call me Roni. You really should have it with you. Every friend I have who has driven across the country has been 'done' for speeding Usually police pop from nowhere in the desert in Arizona or in Texas where my friends swear all there was was miles of empty road as far as they eye could see
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

"Roni"

Call me .............Frider.......
yup I was guessing it weren't going to be an easy journey
I'll have to BS my way thru
I have copies of "Green Card"
copies of my ucsis biometrics, my driving licence and passport................plus credit cards n cash.......
plus my good old Whistler radar detector...........plus I'll obviously have "da luck of the Irish (not) with me................
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:23 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

It is how the small towns get income. Every trip I ever made from my home in Texas through a small town would result in passing a motorist being booked for speeding. Get a good radar detector. It must have a several mile range though. The cops only activate the radar as they spot each vehicle. So your detector will pick up motorist being 'zapped' miles down the road and warn you to watch your speed. The safest thing is to stick to the limit; although a 100 mile stretch of straight road through the desert, posted at 55MPH is difficult to adhere to when your the only thing on the road for miles . . .

Presenting a UK drivers license is not always a guarantee of a free ride. One smarter than average cop ran my licenese plates and found my Jeep was registered to me, he then put two and two together (difficult for some) and did a search on that name at that address to find I also had a Texas license

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
Call me Roni. You really should have it with you. Every friend I have who has driven across the country has been 'done' for speeding Usually police pop from nowhere in the desert in Arizona or in Texas where my friends swear all there was was miles of empty road as far as they eye could see
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Presenting a UK drivers license is not always a guarantee of a free ride. One smarter than average cop ran my licenese plates and found my Jeep was registered to me, he then put two and two together (difficult for some) and did a search on that name at that address to find I also had a Texas license
I got fined $260 for speeding on just a UK licence ...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
But presumably no points..................unless they "found"your Texas license???
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:27 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by frider
But presumably no points..................unless they "found"your Texas license???
no points ... no US licence to put them on ..
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be small towns that would fund their entire government budget with the proceeds of speeding tickets. They were called "speed trap" towns and would often lower the speed below what one would expect, and only sign the change once.

Our state legislature passed a law saying that a municipality could only raise x% of its budget through traffic tickets (the rest had to be paid through sales and property taxes). This cut out a lot of the incentive to issue tickets. Once famous towns like Selma suddenly stopped patrolling so much.

During a drive home from university one afternoon I got pulled over in Karnes City where the speed limit had dropped from 70 to 30 mph (you read correctly). My mother had been sleeping in the passenger seat and the ruckus woke her up. I was so surprised that I just burst into tears at the embarrassment of being caught in front of my mother. The pore ol cop checked my record and since it was clean, let me off with an unheard of warning.

Last week I was going through my grandmother's genealogical materials and came across a piece of paper archived as lovingly as a photograph. It was a receipt from my grandmother to the City of Karnes County for $12.50. It had to be a speeding ticket from her own trip to Austin some 35 years ago! My grandmother always followed the rules and was not a speeder by nature so that would have really stung her. The following page was her bill at the famous Driskill Hotel here in Austin -- the room was $10 per night so you can see how much the ticket was in comparison!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:46 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There used to be small towns that would fund their entire government budget with the proceeds of speeding tickets. They were called "speed trap" towns and would often lower the speed below what one would expect, and only sign the change once.
!
The only U.S. towns designated as speed traps by the American Automobile Association are all situated along a 20-mile (33-kilometer) stretch of four-lane U.S. Highway 301 in northern Florida — Waldo, Lawtey and Hampton. AAA maps have "traffic trap" stamped alongside the name of each town.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

From www.copspy.com -- not that I am advocating speeding!

Jurisdiction

Fayette County, Texas

Speed Trap Location
State Highway 71
Time of Day: Any time of day
Level of Enforcement: Moderate
Type of Enforcement: Radar, Laser, Vascar, Airplane, Photo, Unknown
Date: 12/2004

"All through Fayette County on Hwy 71 from West, Bastrop Co. line to East, Colorado Co. line. Patrolled by DPS Troopers and County Deputies who have heard every line in the book. They work stationary and mobile radar, front and rear. No escape! If you run, you'll get your tires spiked, speaking from experience."

Completely accurate except I've never even considered running....
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Ouch.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:44 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Ouch.
Polk county ... bastards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.