Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost Green card

Lost Green card

Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Lost Green card

Ok. We've recently discovered that one of the kid's green card is missing and will have to apply for a new one. Anyone lost a G/C before and had to apply for a new one?
If so (to save me looking and a fortune on their rip off incompetent phone service)
1: How did you do it?
2: How much did it cost (because I don't suppose for a second the USCIS will supply a replacement buckshee)?
3: How long did the process take?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:19 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Green card

Originally Posted by Rushman
Ok. We've recently discovered that one of the kid's green card is missing and will have to apply for a new one. Anyone lost a G/C before and had to apply for a new one?
If so (to save me looking and a fortune on their rip off incompetent phone service)
1: How did you do it?
2: How much did it cost (because I don't suppose for a second the USCIS will supply a replacement buckshee)?
3: How long did the process take?
Hi Rushman,
The current fee is $260.00. Don't waste your time on the 1-800 Mis information line. Go here:

http://www.uscis.gov

There is a tab at the top called Immigration forms. The form you want is toward the bottom of the page---- I-90, Application to replace greencard. The form and the instructions are there. Might take awhile, sometimes up to a year.

Hope that helps,
~SecretGarden
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.....what a dilemma! However (I know you'll correct me if I'm wrong here) but thought all your little darlins were UKC/USC......
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:22 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,
I just noticed in looking at the uscis homepage----over on the right hand side there is an "ALERT" regarding an updated I-90 form. Read that as you don't want to use an expired form.

Again, hope this helps.

~SG

Edit to add that they say prior versions are acceptable.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi Rushman,
The current fee is $260.00. Don't waste your time on the 1-800 Mis information line. Go here:

http://www.uscis.gov

There is a tab at the top called Immigration forms. The form you want is toward the bottom of the page---- I-90, Application to replace greencard. The form and the instructions are there. Might take awhile, sometimes up to a year.

Hope that helps,
~SecretGarden
A YEAR??????? FFS are they trained by British Rail??
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:31 pm
The Missus

Yep, a year. Depends on the office, depends on lots of things. A couple of things to remember though:

If your child had a greencard, then he or she is a permanent resident. Their status doesn't expire with the lost card, only the PROOF of it. Did you keep a copy? If you don't have copies of your cards, make them immediately and keep in a safe place for just this sort of occasion.

The lost card could become an issue if you have to travel. You can make an Infopass appointment at your district office and request to have your child's passport stamped to indicate proof of permanent residency. That would allow he or she to travel with proof.

~SG
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

$260 ??
I hope the fruit of your loins in question will be set down the mines to pay off the cost......

........sorry, I forgot - your lot prefer to go up chimneys.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Yep, a year. Depends on the office, depends on lots of things. A couple of things to remember though:

If your child had a greencard, then he or she is a permanent resident. Their status doesn't expire with the lost card, only the PROOF of it. Did you keep a copy? If you don't have copies of your cards, make them immediately and keep in a safe place for just this sort of occasion.

The lost card could become an issue if you have to travel. You can make an Infopass appointment at your district office and request to have your child's passport stamped to indicate proof of permanent residency. That would allow he or she to travel with proof.

~SG
Thanks SG Also have to get the eldests SS# (have been abit remiss and to be honest forgot to get it before but the staff at the local SS office will want the G/C..so we are snookered til the new one arrives unless they accept a stamp in the passport.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:36 pm
The Missus

Thanks SG Also have to get the eldests SS# (have been abit remiss and to be honest forgot to get it before but the staff at the local SS office will want the G/C..so we are snookered til the new one arrives unless they accept a stamp in the passport.
The stamp in the passport and the card are equivalent---I would think they'd have to accept it---ask for a supervisor if they don't.

You can make an Infopass appt. on the uscis.gov website. What district office covers you?

~SG
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok. We've recently discovered that one of the kid's green card is missing and will have to apply for a new one.
omg my worst nightmare

bless the little darlin' kiddies
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:38 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg my worst nightmare

bless the little darlin' kiddies
Probably fell out of his/her pocket as rushman pushed him/her through next door's catflap whilst they were off on holiday
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Probably fell out of his/her pocket as rushman pushed him/her through next door's catflap whilst they were off on holiday
exactly, it's his fault
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The stamp in the passport and the card are equivalent---I would think they'd have to accept it---ask for a supervisor if they don't.

You can make an Infopass appt. on the uscis.gov website. What district office covers you?
yup, they would accept the stamp as proof, but your probably right and would have to have the supervisor as chances are, the person at the desk is a muppet *l*
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Typical provincial amateur The kids have been able to get passed a 3 lever Chubb or mortice since they were 3
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Just shell out the money. If you fanny about, it'll still take a year (or longer) and the fee would be more!

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.