Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking for work in IL

Looking for work in IL

Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

RalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking for work in IL

Hello,
I've just started looking for a job and haven't been through the process in a long time. I've searched through monster.com and the search engine on the Chicago Tribune. I was wondering if there are any other websites worth checking out?
Also, can anyone recommend any recruiters/headhunters to help me with the process?
I'm based in IL and work in financial services but would consider any half decent job in any location.

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work in IL

Originally Posted by RalphJolly
Hello,
I've just started looking for a job and haven't been through the process in a long time. I've searched through monster.com and the search engine on the Chicago Tribune. I was wondering if there are any other websites worth checking out?
Also, can anyone recommend any recruiters/headhunters to help me with the process?
I'm based in IL and work in financial services but would consider any half decent job in any location.

Try Craigslist.com. Also check out the local newspapers online, they usually have a job vacancy section...Good luck :-)
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Hello,

Also indeed.com. This takes adds from several sites (including Monster I believe) to save you searching lots of sites.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

The only jobs I ever got were through personal contacts / networking.

Nowadays LinkedIn is a must for professionals.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Linkedin

But what do you do in the financials? Tech folk can check out guru, o-desk, dice, rentacoder etc.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:16 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Linkedin

But what do you do in the financials? Tech folk can check out guru, o-desk, dice, rentacoder etc.
I work for a firm of chartered accountants in Chicago and have a decent network - what do you actually do?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I work for a firm of chartered accountants in Chicago and have a decent network - what do you actually do?
I am in banking and would like to move ....almost thru my CPA here not that the yanks would care.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
me? not that
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps to ask the obvious, are you a US citizen or LPR?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

RalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the rough

Hello, thank you for all the replies.
I'm not sure what a LPR is, I'm a green card holder from GB.
Has anyone had any positive experiences with recruitment consultants or headhunters?
As someone said, many jobs go through personal contacts but unfortunately I'm new here, so my contacts are few.
I will check out LInkedIN and the other suggestions.
What a great time to be looking for a job!
Thanks again.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:13 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
me? not that
Sorry - I ma pretty crap with my quoting - you're an IT type...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:15 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by E3only
I am in banking and would like to move ....almost thru my CPA here not that the yanks would care.
I think actually they would care if you have almost finished your CPA. How close are you? Would open up a whole new world of potential... are you looking to move into audit or simlar? If you PM me your email address I could send you things if I see any.

Banking is a very general term - commercial/retail? Lending? Specialized? Factoring? etc etc