Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Options for mail forwarding to US

Options for mail forwarding to US

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Options for mail forwarding to US

Hi All

Hoping someone can help....I've just sold my house in the UK (having been in the US for a few years). Up to now I've had a mail re-direct on from my old address for bank statements, credit cards etc....

Now the house is sold I can't really carry on with this so I think I have three options:

1. Transfer all stuff to parents address (don't really want to do this)
2. Get a paid uk mailing address - my.uk.mail.com came up on a google search - anyone got any experience
3. Change my address with the bank to the US address - is this going to freak them out as I have balances on the credit cards and a loan outstanding.

Just to let you'all know - no intention of trying to evade these debts - they will get paid off (bad experience with b******d ex husband caused them to be built up). I just don't want the best and easiest solution to this.

Help appreciated!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for mail forwarding to US

Originally Posted by ri_mischief View Post
2. Get a paid uk mailing address - my.uk.mail.com came up on a google search - anyone got any experience
HI

I have been using them and they are very good and very cheap. I wanted to keep a UK address for my UK ltd company. Personal stuff is not a problem

However, I am not going to renew. You have to use a Box / Suite / Appartment number with them which has not been a problem but I don't like it.

I am going to move to expat mail as their address system is much simpler.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

we changed our bank to my parents address, and then all other items we moved to the US address or cancelled as appropriate. Others have been successful, but I'm wary of changing my UK banks to my US address.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranston View Post
HI

I have been using them and they are very good and very cheap. I wanted to keep a UK address for my UK ltd company. Personal stuff is not a problem

However, I am not going to renew. You have to use a Box / Suite / Appartment number with them which has not been a problem but I don't like it.

I am going to move to expat mail as their address system is much simpler.
Hi there - did you have a recommendation for expat mail or did you just find them online? Why don't you like the box / suite apartment number concept?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:07 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i moved my banks and credit cards over to my us address without too much trouble (they had balances/Overdraft etc on them too).
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:09 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

We didn't direct mail using the UK Postoffice's mail forwarding service, although plenty have with no problems at all (try searching BE for previius threads - this has been discussed before)

We ended up changing our adress to the US one as soon as we were established here, with Banks, Credit Card companies etc, some of whom we still owed money to, and they didn't even flinch.. they said as long as we kept paying and they could contact us, they weren't bothered at all.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Now the house is sold I can't really carry on with this
Why not? Royal mail will allow your mail to be redirected anywhere in the world for up to two years.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Actually I have already had it re-directed for quite some time (can't remember how long) - like I say I've been here a while. I just don't want to continue that way as I no longer own the house. I also think that you have to let banks and stuff know when you're no longer living somewhere don't you?

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 View Post
Why not? Royal mail will allow your mail to be redirected anywhere in the world for up to two years.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, sounds like transferring mail to the US address isn't that difficult.

Just as a matter of interest - what banks / credit cards did everyone that changed to the US deal with? I'm just wondering if it's different for different ones.

I have, Barclays, Barclaycard and Egg

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't you tell your BANK that you've moved, for goodness sake? That's like begging for someone to steal your identity.

Some banks don't allow you to keep the account open if you live permanently abroad, but some are ok. We have Barclays current and credit card accounts and changed the registered address for both to our US address....they didn't care....
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ok - thanks for the feedback - appreciate it - particularly as it's the same bank :-)

Erm...didn't tell them cos owned the house up to about a week ago and mail being forwarded - can't really work out why ID theft would be an issue there

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 View Post
Why wouldn't you tell your BANK that you've moved, for goodness sake? That's like begging for someone to steal your identity.

Some banks don't allow you to keep the account open if you live permanently abroad, but some are ok. We have Barclays current and credit card accounts and changed the registered address for both to our US address....they didn't care....

Last edited by ri_mischief; Sep 2nd 2009 at 8:01 pm. Reason: Can't construct a sentence :-)
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:56 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone, sounds like transferring mail to the US address isn't that difficult.

Just as a matter of interest - what banks / credit cards did everyone that changed to the US deal with? I'm just wondering if it's different for different ones.

I have, Barclays, Barclaycard and Egg

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!
Barclays, Egg, HSBC
Had Current, Saving, Credit, Overdraft and loan accounts with them
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Egg refused to change hubby's address to the US.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Sep 3rd 2009 at 1:16 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
Egg refused to change huuby's address to the US.
Weird - what did he do?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Weird - what did he do?
Changed it to my UK address. Now it's being forwarded from there to the US. Not sure what we'll do longer term. I suspect place the funds elsewhere.