British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Looking for work in IL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/looking-work-il-628342/)

RalphJolly Aug 30th 2009 11:23 pm

Looking for work in IL

Hello,
I've just started looking for a job and haven't been through the process in a long time. I've searched through monster.com and the search engine on the Chicago Tribune. I was wondering if there are any other websites worth checking out?
Also, can anyone recommend any recruiters/headhunters to help me with the process?
I'm based in IL and work in financial services but would consider any half decent job in any location.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Englishtart Aug 31st 2009 11:19 am

Re: Looking for work in IL

Originally Posted by RalphJolly (Post 7889921)
Hello,
I've just started looking for a job and haven't been through the process in a long time. I've searched through monster.com and the search engine on the Chicago Tribune. I was wondering if there are any other websites worth checking out?
Also, can anyone recommend any recruiters/headhunters to help me with the process?
I'm based in IL and work in financial services but would consider any half decent job in any location.

Try Craigslist.com. Also check out the local newspapers online, they usually have a job vacancy section...Good luck :-)

paul_79 Aug 31st 2009 5:28 pm

Hello,

Also indeed.com. This takes adds from several sites (including Monster I believe) to save you searching lots of sites.

Elvira Aug 31st 2009 6:14 pm

Hello,

The only jobs I ever got were through personal contacts / networking.

Nowadays LinkedIn is a must for professionals.

Bob Sep 1st 2009 1:47 am

Linkedin

But what do you do in the financials? Tech folk can check out guru, o-desk, dice, rentacoder etc.

lj2 Sep 1st 2009 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7892713)
Linkedin

But what do you do in the financials? Tech folk can check out guru, o-desk, dice, rentacoder etc.

I work for a firm of chartered accountants in Chicago and have a decent network - what do you actually do?

E3only Sep 1st 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 7892910)
I work for a firm of chartered accountants in Chicago and have a decent network - what do you actually do?

I am in banking and would like to move ....almost thru my CPA here not that the yanks would care.

Bob Sep 1st 2009 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 7892910)

me? not that :lol:

JAJ Sep 2nd 2009 3:54 am

Perhaps to ask the obvious, are you a US citizen or LPR?

RalphJolly Sep 2nd 2009 1:49 pm

Hello, thank you for all the replies.
I'm not sure what a LPR is, I'm a green card holder from GB.
Has anyone had any positive experiences with recruitment consultants or headhunters?
As someone said, many jobs go through personal contacts but unfortunately I'm new here, so my contacts are few.
I will check out LInkedIN and the other suggestions.
What a great time to be looking for a job!
Thanks again.

lj2 Sep 3rd 2009 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7893982)
me? not that :lol:

Sorry - I ma pretty crap with my quoting - you're an IT type... ;)

lj2 Sep 3rd 2009 12:15 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 7893489)
I am in banking and would like to move ....almost thru my CPA here not that the yanks would care.

I think actually they would care if you have almost finished your CPA. How close are you? Would open up a whole new world of potential... are you looking to move into audit or simlar? If you PM me your email address I could send you things if I see any.

Banking is a very general term - commercial/retail? Lending? Specialized? Factoring? etc etc