Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking to rent in East Bay, CA

Looking to rent in East Bay, CA

Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looking to rent in East Bay, CA

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Michelle - let us know if you would like to hook up sometime. We have been in the states for 16 years now, the last 10 in Dublin (just down the 680 from Walnut Creek).

We are both in our mid forties and have a 6 year old daughter, who will be 7 next month.

One of our favourite places is La Boulange in Danville (there are several others in San Fran and dotted around the bay area). Lovely pastries and authentic croissants, and yummy cafe au lait. There is also a nice British pub called The Crown in downtown Danville. Their fish and chips aren't half bad.

Have you discovered Fresh & Easy yet? This is Tesco's version of an American mini-supermarket. They sell a few British items, including English style bacon.

Cheers for now, Kevin.
See you both tomorrow night Kevin...
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

MMortara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Michelle - let us know if you would like to hook up sometime. We have been in the states for 16 years now, the last 10 in Dublin (just down the 680 from Walnut Creek).

We are both in our mid forties and have a 6 year old daughter, who will be 7 next month.

One of our favourite places is La Boulange in Danville (there are several others in San Fran and dotted around the bay area). Lovely pastries and authentic croissants, and yummy cafe au lait. There is also a nice British pub called The Crown in downtown Danville. Their fish and chips aren't half bad.

Have you discovered Fresh & Easy yet? This is Tesco's version of an American mini-supermarket. They sell a few British items, including English style bacon.

Cheers for now, Kevin.
Hi Kevin. Thanks for your post. That would be so good to meet up. I'm 42 and my husband Steve 47. He is working in the city and takes BART which is working out well. We will be moving into our house on the 17th as long as our container arrives on time! Gabriella, our daughter, was 6 in August. She has been in school for 2 weeks now and she really loves it. Love the sound of all the places you mention ! Especially the pub and the fish and chips! Oh true brits we are! I gave up my job with Procter & Gamble to come out here and eventually I would like to work for another company or doing something freelance. It is good to have a break though and get things settled here. Managed to drive the huge SUV we have got which I dreading. Still keep trying to get in the left side to drive. You must love it here if you have been here that long. Do you think you are here for good? Once we have moved into the house will definitley drive out your way and have lunch at that pub! Michelle
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

MMortara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sanfranjones
Hi
I've been in Dublin for 5 years now (end of the BART line). We initially lived in
an apartment complex similar to Archstone previously mentioned...infact there was one next door to our complex. The below were a good fit for us.
http://www.prometheusreg.com/
You might also want to try craigslist.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/a...edrooms=&nh=53
The rental market is tough at the moment, good stuff is snapped up with all the people getting turfed out of or walking away from their houses. Be prepared for very hefty deposits. I've heard of some places wanting credit reports with scores above 750.
Dublin is a great place if you have kids, bit quiet if you are young and want a decent night life. We (myself, wife and two girls) love it. Excellent schools, safe and clean. Very good transport links BART, and freeway. If you have any queries feel free to contact me on <snip>
Cheers and good luck.
Thank you for the links. We are going to sign our lease on a house today. Yes, we had to pay a but more deposit but we expected that as we have no credit history in the US. There have been so few houses available that we just had to snap this one up. It was in the school district which was essential as our daughter has started at Indian Valley Elementary. Yes we went over Dublin way it is lovely. We chose WC as bit closer for Steve's journey but we may change. That is the upside to renting I guess. We have rented out our home in the UK until we know if we would like to stay long term. Cant wait to move in and have our container arrive then we can start making it home. Archstone is OK but it is on a busy road and the traffic noise in the early hours is a bit of a pain. Oh no now I sound like a whinging brit!! The weather has been superb though!!

Last edited by Bob; Nov 4th 2011 at 7:36 pm.